    It might help several people from the posts I've seen here.
    Thanks for any information.
    Al

    Paddler, Oct 13, 2003

  2. Paddler

    MikeWhy Guest

    "Paddler" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi
    > I have been experimenting with Unsharp with varying results. I have a
    > new D100. I'm not real new to digital but have a lot to learn about
    > the camera and software. I was wondering if anyone would take a few
    > minutes to explain some of the settings you use for unsharp and why.
    > It might help several people from the posts I've seen here.
    > Thanks for any information.

    Assuming it's the same as unsharp mask in Photoshop -- I shoot a Canon and
    don't have Nikon Capture -- the following might help.

    Higher 'Amount', 0% to 500%, increases the size and intensity of the halo,
    increasing sharpening. Larger 'Radius', in pixels, looks farther for
    contrast changes, and increases sharpness. Higher 'Threshold' requires more
    contrast change to trigger sharpening, reducing sharpness but might reduce
    false triggering on noise. Typical setting ranges in Photoshop are: Amount
    50% to 150%; Radius 0.5 to 2.5; Threshold 1 to 5.

    Unsharp mask refers to the bygone practice of sandwiching a negative with an
    out-of-focus copy; the out-of-focus copy was called the unsharp-mask from
    whence the filter gets its name. The net result enhances the borders between
    light and dark areas by making a halo around the edge, lighter on the light
    side, and darker on the dark side. The amount of blur, overall density of
    the copy, and the steepness of its contrast curve are analogous to the
    Photoshop settings, although I don't expect they map one-to-one.

    Me personally, I prefer to sharpen the luminosity or lightness channels in
    Photoshop. But then, Canon's RAW converter offers just the (useless)
    discreet choice dropdown.

    MikeWhy, Oct 14, 2003