    could not see any devices. How can I enable the embedded sound on my
    machine? Do I need a special driver first?

    Regards
    Lando Chez, Sep 3, 2009

  2. Lando Chez

    Mike Easter Guest

    Lando Chez wrote:

    > I have a machine that haves only a embedded sound on the Mainboard.

    Integrated. That is very very common. When you mention your mobo, if
    you would name it or the name and modelno of your computer, you might
    also get advice about drivers.

    > On
    > the backside of the mnachine I can see the green/grey and orange port.

    Did you get a manual with your machine?

    > But if I plug a speaker to the green port and try to listen to music I
    > cannot hear anything. I looked at the sound proerties on my OS but
    > could not see any devices.

    When you mention 'my OS' is a good time to name it, such as Windows XP
    or Vista. From your headers it looks like you are XP Media Center.

    > How can I enable the embedded sound on my
    > machine? Do I need a special driver first?

    If you bought your computer with the OS preinstalled, the hardware
    drivers should have been installed. If some other, then you need to
    know how to use your System Device manager to look at your hardware
    sound devices and driver situation.

    Your troubleshooting needs to back up a little bit. Did this sound ever
    work?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 3, 2009

  3. Lando Chez

    Jordon Guest

    richard wrote:
    > Lando Chez wrote:

    >> I have a machine that haves only a embedded sound on the Mainboard. On
    >> the backside of the mnachine I can see the green/grey and orange port.
    >> But if I plug a speaker to the green port and try to listen to music I
    >> cannot hear anything. I looked at the sound proerties on my OS but
    >> could not see any devices. How can I enable the embedded sound on my
    >> machine? Do I need a special driver first?

    > Do you have a sound card?
    > If you do, then you'll need to install the proper driver for it.

    Slowly read every word in his first sentence.

    --
    Jordon
    Jordon, Sep 3, 2009
  4. On 3 sep, 19:56, richard <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 10:36:23 -0700 (PDT), Lando Chez
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >Hi

    > >I have a machine that haves only a embedded sound on the Mainboard. On
    > >the backside of the mnachine I can see the green/grey and orange port.
    > >But if I plug a speaker to the green port and try to listen to music I
    > >cannot hear anything. I looked at the sound proerties on my OS but
    > >could not see any devices. How can I enable the embedded sound on my
    > >machine? Do I need a special driver first?

    > >Regards

    > Do you have a sound card?
    > If you do, then you'll need to install the proper driver for it.
    >
    > Does it have builtin speakers? Do they work?
    > In the "Windows system tray" you should see a little speaker symbol.
    > If it's not there, the driver is not installed.

    HI

    No there is no sound card on the machine. I got this machine from
    someone. I did not bought it from a shop, so I don´t have any garantee
    or maintanance support. If i look in the Windows system tray then I
    cannot see the speaker symbol.
    Harry Bellafonte, Sep 4, 2009
  5. On 3 sep, 20:26, "Mike Easter" <> wrote:
    > Lando Chez wrote:
    > > I have a machine that haves only a embedded sound on the Mainboard.

    > Integrated.  That is very very common.  When you mention your mobo, if
    > you would name it or the name and modelno of your computer, you might
    > also get advice about drivers.
    >
    > > On
    > > the backside of the mnachine I can see the green/grey and orange port.

    > Did you get a manual with your machine?
    >
    > > But if I plug a speaker to the green port and try to listen to music I
    > > cannot hear anything. I looked at the sound proerties on my OS but
    > > could not see any devices.

    > When you mention 'my OS' is a good time to name it, such as Windows XP
    > or Vista.  From your headers it looks like you are XP Media Center.
    >
    > > How can I enable the embedded sound on my
    > > machine? Do I need a special driver first?

    > If you bought your computer with the OS preinstalled, the hardware
    > drivers should have been installed.  If some other, then you need to
    > know how to use your System Device manager to look at your hardware
    > sound devices and driver situation.
    >
    > Your troubleshooting needs to back up a little bit.  Did this sound ever
    > work?
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Hi

    I have Windows XP on the machine. I bought this machine from a website
    similar like ebay from a person without manual or whatso ever. If I
    look at my System Device manager I cannot see anything that represents
    my embedded soundcard or driver for the soundcard. I did not asked the
    seller if the embedded sound ever worked.
    Harry Bellafonte, Sep 4, 2009
  6. dadiOH <> pinched out a steaming pile
    of<nqUnm.45385$2>:

    >Lando Chez wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I have a machine that haves only a embedded sound on the Mainboard.

    On
    >> the backside of the mnachine I can see the green/grey and orange

    port.
    >> But if I plug a speaker to the green port and try to listen to music

    >> cannot hear anything. I looked at the sound proerties on my OS but
    >> could not see any devices. How can I enable the embedded sound on my
    >> machine?

    >Look in Device Manager. If not listed there, enable it in the

    motherboard
    >BIOS. The mobo CD may have special software for the onboard sound,

    you may
    >or may not need it.

    Might be a good idea to download & install Everest Home and check it to
    see what the chipsets etc are.

    >Once enabled, if no sound from speakers, try a headset. If sound via
    >headset, you need powered speakers.

    Yep. After making sure the soundchip is enabled on the mobo in the
    BIOS.

    §ñühw¤£f, Sep 4, 2009
  7. Lando Chez

    Jordon Guest

    Harry Bellafonte wrote:
    > I have Windows XP on the machine. I bought this machine from a website
    > similar like ebay from a person without manual or whatso ever. If I
    > look at my System Device manager I cannot see anything that represents
    > my embedded soundcard or driver for the soundcard. I did not asked the
    > seller if the embedded sound ever worked.

    Then it may be worth opening the side of the machine
    to determine the mainboard's manufacturer and model.
    Then go to the manufacturers website and see if it
    comes with sound. If it does, download the drivers.
    But if there's nothing listed in the Device Manager
    that says Sound, Video and Game Controllers, or if
    it does but there's nothing under it that has anything
    to do with audio (look for yellow exclamation marks)
    it may not have onboard sound. The previous owner may
    have had a high dollar sound card in it and pulled it
    before he sold it to you.

    --
    Jordon
    Jordon, Sep 4, 2009
  8. Lando Chez

    chuckcar Guest

    Harry Bellafonte <> wrote in

    > On 3 sep, 19:56, richard <> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 10:36:23 -0700 (PDT), Lando Chez
    >>
    >> <> wrote:
    >> >Hi

    >> >I have a machine that haves only a embedded sound on the Mainboard. On
    >> >the backside of the mnachine I can see the green/grey and orange port.
    >> >But if I plug a speaker to the green port and try to listen to music I
    >> >cannot hear anything. I looked at the sound proerties on my OS but
    >> >could not see any devices. How can I enable the embedded sound on my
    >> >machine? Do I need a special driver first?

    >> >Regards

    >> Do you have a sound card?
    >> If you do, then you'll need to install the proper driver for it.
    >>
    >> Does it have builtin speakers? Do they work?
    >> In the "Windows system tray" you should see a little speaker symbol.
    >> If it's not there, the driver is not installed.

    > No there is no sound card on the machine. I got this machine from
    > someone. I did not bought it from a shop, so I don´t have any garantee
    > or maintanance support. If i look in the Windows system tray then I
    > cannot see the speaker symbol.

    Ok, you *have* a sound card, but it is build into the motherboard.
    Absolutely no difference for windows. Try opening up "Sounds" in Control
    panel and try to play one of the sounds. If it gives you an error please
    repeat it in *full* here. Otherwise if you can't play the sound because
    the play button is greyed out (once you *select* a sound that is), you
    need the drivers for your computer. Any farther and we would need to know
    the manufacturer and model of the computer you have. You *could* try
    running and windows install/restore disk you got with it, but it would
    have to be *exactly* as it was manufactured. No additional cards inside or
    anything that didn't go in the USB ports from the factory.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 5, 2009