    Sam Campbell III
    Professional Dilettante
    http://www.livejournal.com/~slyfoot/
    Slyfoot, Jun 29, 2004

  2. Slyfoot wrote:
    > How do you substitute a drive name to go to a directory in Windows XP?
    > With Win 98 and earlier, you could type SUBST Z: C:\SOMEDIRECTORY.
    > You can still do that with Win XP, but I can't figure out how to make
    > it permanent. I have put SUBST Z: C:\PROGRA~1\TIMEDATA in the
    > AUTOEXEC.BAT and although that command still works on the commandline,
    > the Z: drive is not recognized on reboot. I have even used TweakUI
    > for XP to parse the AUTOEXEC.BAT file but it still does not work. I
    > think it can be done in the Environmental Settings on the Advanced Tab
    > in My Computer, but I'm not sure.
    >
    > ~Sly

    Forget everything you ever knew about Windows 9x. It's dead!

    Windows NT base products use autoexec.nt. Search for it.

    Mr. Trevor Fourie, Jun 29, 2004

  3. Slyfoot

    °Mike° Guest

    Just use a batch file and put it in your startup folder.
    This can be done from the registry, but it's easier
    from your startup folder.

    ***** <--- Omit this line
    @ECHO OFF
    SUBST z: c:\progra~1\timedata
    CLS
    EXIT
    ***** <--- Omit this line

    On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 18:52:51 GMT, in
    <>
    Slyfoot scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 29, 2004
  4. Howdy!

    "Slyfoot" <> wrote in message
    > How do you substitute a drive name to go to a directory in Windows XP?
    > With Win 98 and earlier, you could type SUBST Z: C:\SOMEDIRECTORY.
    > You can still do that with Win XP, but I can't figure out how to make
    > it permanent. I have put SUBST Z: C:\PROGRA~1\TIMEDATA in the
    > AUTOEXEC.BAT and although that command still works on the commandline,
    > the Z: drive is not recognized on reboot. I have even used TweakUI
    > for XP to parse the AUTOEXEC.BAT file but it still does not work. I
    > think it can be done in the Environmental Settings on the Advanced Tab
    > in My Computer, but I'm not sure.

    Workaround - Share the directory, then map the share as the drive.

    Doesn't work if you don't have a live network ...

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jun 30, 2004
  5. Slyfoot

    Slyfoot Guest

    On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 18:52:51 GMT, (Slyfoot) wrote:

    I wanted to say "thanks" to all who responded!

    ~Sly

    Slyfoot, Jun 30, 2004
  6. Slyfoot

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome.

    On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 08:47:22 GMT, in
    <>
    Slyfoot scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 30, 2004
  7. Slyfoot

    Ramesh Kaliyaperumal

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Reg SUBST remap after reboot

    RwP,

    Probably you can create a bat file with the command "SUBST D: C:\Drive_D" and keep it in system startup, so that wehenever you start/reboot the system the drive will get mapped and available in "my computer"

    may be a silly answer , but it works for me .. lol

    Ramesh

    QUOTE=Ralph Wade Phillips;957060]Howdy!

    "Slyfoot" <> wrote in message
    > How do you substitute a drive name to go to a directory in Windows XP?
    > With Win 98 and earlier, you could type SUBST Z: C:\SOMEDIRECTORY.
    > You can still do that with Win XP, but I can't figure out how to make
    > it permanent. I have put SUBST Z: C:\PROGRA~1\TIMEDATA in the
    > AUTOEXEC.BAT and although that command still works on the commandline,
    > the Z: drive is not recognized on reboot. I have even used TweakUI
    > for XP to parse the AUTOEXEC.BAT file but it still does not work. I
    > think it can be done in the Environmental Settings on the Advanced Tab
    > in My Computer, but I'm not sure.

    Workaround - Share the directory, then map the share as the drive.

    Doesn't work if you don't have a live network ...

    RwP[/QUOTE]
    Ramesh Kaliyaperumal, Jun 1, 2012