Using speedlite with manual lens

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Pablo, Jun 7, 2012.

  1. Pablo

    Pablo Guest

    Howdy folks.

    Mucking about with indoor shots.

    Using a 35mm M42 manual lens on my 1000D.

    Setting the speedlite up by feel really.

    Got it to 1/32 strength, HSF (dunno if that does anything), and set the zoom
    to 50mm. Or should I set it to 35mm? I assumed the larger figure because
    it's not a full-frame camera.

    With the camera/lens set to 1/320 at f5.6 and ISO 100 it seems to perform
    well at 2ft.

    Am I going in the right direction? Should I take up fishing instead?

    --
    Pablo

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbleypants/
    http://paulc.es/piso/index.php

    Pablo, Jun 7, 2012

  2. Pablo <> wrote:
    > Howdy folks.

    > Mucking about with indoor shots.

    > Using a 35mm M42 manual lens on my 1000D.

    > Setting the speedlite up by feel really.

    > Got it to 1/32 strength, HSF (dunno if that does anything), and set the zoom
    > to 50mm. Or should I set it to 35mm? I assumed the larger figure because
    > it's not a full-frame camera.

    Easily checked by photographing a plain flashlit wall to check coverage.

    > With the camera/lens set to 1/320 at f5.6 and ISO 100 it seems to perform
    > well at 2ft.

    > Am I going in the right direction? Should I take up fishing instead?

    You'll get better results when you move the source of your light away
    from the camera. First way of doing that is to bounce the flash off a
    nearby large pale surface, such as the ceiling. The next step is to
    take the flash off the camera and operate it remotely.

    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbleypants/

    See

    http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/

    and