    than a router. Will the proposed design work? If so, do you foresee
    any problems from not using a router? Finally, if we want to set up
    VLANs, can the 4507's Supervisor Engine IV route between them?

    Bob Simon, Sep 2, 2006

  2. Bob Simon

    Merv Guest

    > 10 Mb feed from Cox Cable goes directly into a server's E0. Server
    > is running Windows Server 2003 and Websense web filtering software.
    > Filtered output leaves server's E1 and goes to Catalyst 4507R. Access
    > is through one 48 port Ethernet module in the 4507R plus two local and
    > seven remote 3550s connected via fiber.

    > I have never heard of terminating the network feed in a device other
    > than a router. Will the proposed design work?

    As long as the server can keep up with expected traffic volumes.

    > Finally, if we want to set up VLANs, can the 4507's Supervisor Engine IV route between them?

    yes

    to configure layer 3 interface on 4507R see Cisco doc:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...figuration_guide_chapter09186a0080233fa9.html

    Merv, Sep 3, 2006

  3. Bob Simon

    Dom Guest

    On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 17:55 -0500, Bob Simon wrote:
    > I have been asked to help implement a network for a school. They have
    > a MC3800 router with two serial ports and one Ethernet port.

    If it's fast ethernet, trunk it.

    > I have never heard of terminating the network feed in a device other
    > than a router.

    How 'bout a proxy? That might be a good place to terminate an internet
    connection. If the server is configured to route, then it is a router.
    Bloody bad idea to put windows in that role. As far as networking is
    concerned windows ranks at the very bottom of the heap.

    > Will the proposed design work?

    Not very well, in my opinion. Then again, I know nothing of implementing
    websense and the ramifications there about.

    > If so, do you foresee
    > any problems from not using a router? Finally, if we want to set up
    > VLANs, can the 4507's Supervisor Engine IV route between them?

    Your "server/router" could route between vlans. My understanding is that
    the intel proset drivers support trunking.

    Dom, Sep 3, 2006