    My question is, whether it is possible to use both at the same time? eg,
    could a now buy a SATA drive, and install into the SATA motherboard plugs.

    I could not find any documentation on the motherboard unfortunately.
    jedmeister, Jun 22, 2005

  2. jedmeister

    thing2 Guest

    jedmeister wrote:
    > I ordered a dell pc of the internet a couple of years ago, and in the
    > configuration options I could choose sata harddrive or a ATA100 harddrive
    > but not both types.
    >
    > In the end, I chose 2 ATA100 drives and it shipped like that.
    >
    > I've checked the motherboard and it has the sata connectors.
    >
    > My question is, whether it is possible to use both at the same time? eg,
    > could a now buy a SATA drive, and install into the SATA motherboard plugs.
    >
    > I could not find any documentation on the motherboard unfortunately.

    You dont know until you try.

    The sata chip sets should be seperate to the ata ones, so I cannot see
    why they should clash.

    Worse case if it does not work you can always buy a seperate sata
    controller, which is what I have.

    My motherboard actually has an onboard ata66 controller with an onboard
    ata100 controller as well plus I have added a DSE sata raid pci card.......

    or just get another ata100 hd as the speed improvement is theoretical....

    regards

    thing
    thing2, Jun 22, 2005

  3. jedmeister

    Richard Guest

    jedmeister wrote:
    > I ordered a dell pc of the internet a couple of years ago, and in the
    > configuration options I could choose sata harddrive or a ATA100 harddrive
    > but not both types.
    >
    > In the end, I chose 2 ATA100 drives and it shipped like that.
    >
    > I've checked the motherboard and it has the sata connectors.
    >
    > My question is, whether it is possible to use both at the same time? eg,
    > could a now buy a SATA drive, and install into the SATA motherboard plugs.
    >
    > I could not find any documentation on the motherboard unfortunately.

    Will depend on the bios settings, one way, the 2 sata drives are mapped in the
    chipset to take the place of the parallel ata drives, and this is the one they
    most likly used to install with since theres no need for more drivers.

    The other way, is to have the satas appear as the tertiry IDE controller, and
    you need drivers to install on the sata drive in this config.

    Changing between configs on the sata drive is a bitch, so you did the right
    choice, you should be able to just check the bios is set to the right option,
    (not seen what they call it on the dells) and then plug the sata disk in.
    Richard, Jun 22, 2005
  4. jedmeister

    jedmeister Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > jedmeister wrote:
    >> I ordered a dell pc of the internet a couple of years ago, and in the
    >> configuration options I could choose sata harddrive or a ATA100 harddrive
    >> but not both types.
    >>
    >> In the end, I chose 2 ATA100 drives and it shipped like that.
    >>
    >> I've checked the motherboard and it has the sata connectors.
    >>
    >> My question is, whether it is possible to use both at the same time? eg,
    >> could a now buy a SATA drive, and install into the SATA motherboard
    >> plugs.
    >>
    >> I could not find any documentation on the motherboard unfortunately.

    > Will depend on the bios settings, one way, the 2 sata drives are mapped in
    > the chipset to take the place of the parallel ata drives, and this is the
    > one they most likly used to install with since theres no need for more
    > drivers.
    >
    > The other way, is to have the satas appear as the tertiry IDE controller,
    > and you need drivers to install on the sata drive in this config.
    >
    > Changing between configs on the sata drive is a bitch, so you did the
    > right choice, you should be able to just check the bios is set to the
    > right option, (not seen what they call it on the dells) and then plug the
    > sata disk in.

    Thanks for the replies.
    jedmeister, Jun 22, 2005