    (sort of headset) with softphone/voip-software through my old dial-up
    modem? Something like the modem converts the analog audio signal from
    the telephone to wave?

    hygum, Mar 21, 2005

  2. > Is it possible to use my regular (old) telephone as a speak/hear-device
    > (sort of headset) with softphone/voip-software through my old dial-up
    > modem? Something like the modem converts the analog audio signal from
    > the telephone to wave?

    Very few modems are able to work this way even if you have the software to
    do this. Best bet is a special usb phone or a phone adapter that connects
    your phone to the internet without a computer. Digium modem cards and
    asterisk is the reason the answer is not "no". This is way more than most
    people want to do and adapters/usb phones can be found for less than $100
    usd.

    Stanley Reynolds, Mar 22, 2005

  3. hygum

    Vox Humana Guest

    "hygum" <> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to use my regular (old) telephone as a speak/hear-device
    > (sort of headset) with softphone/voip-software through my old dial-up
    > modem? Something like the modem converts the analog audio signal from
    > the telephone to wave?

    Maybe you could adapt an old handset from an analog phone and plug it into
    the microphone and speaker jacks on a full-duplex sound card. That, with
    the softphone software might work. I haven't seen any information that
    indicates that VOIP is doable with a standard dial-up connection though.
    That said, I would just get a cheap headset instead of trying to reinvent
    the wheel, especially since the weak link will be the dial-up connection.

    You could always download one of the free softphones and give it a try with
    your dial-up line.

    Vox Humana, Mar 22, 2005
  4. hygum

    wkearney99 Guest

    If it's a regular telephone then you need to use an ATA device. This
    provides a 'dial tone' to a regular telephone. Also know as an FXS port.
    They're generally around $90. Others can be had that will connect an old
    phone to the USB port of a PC. These are around $50 but require the PC be
    running to use the phone, whereas an ATA is stand-alone.

    A 'old dial up modem' has little use for VoIP activities.

    wkearney99, Mar 22, 2005
  5. hygum

    hygum Guest

    I will prefer use my old phone instead of a headset - the phone is made
    for the purpose. I will try making it go into the sound jacks

    hygum, Mar 23, 2005
  6. > I will prefer use my old phone instead of a headset - the phone is made
    > for the purpose. I will try making it go into the sound jacks

    The headset about 600 ohms should work ok on the soundcard but the mic if
    carbon element may need some matching.

    This has some good ideas:

    http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/teleinterface.html#interference

    Stanley Reynolds, Mar 23, 2005