    As per subject, I have a need for an adaptor(usb or pci or whatever)
    so I can use mobile data card on a desktop.
    Any suggestions appreciated :)

    Bret, Apr 5, 2006

  2. Bret

    JohnO Guest

    Bret wrote:
    > As per subject, I have a need for an adaptor(usb or pci or whatever)
    > so I can use mobile data card on a desktop.
    > Any suggestions appreciated :)

    Google found this right away:

    http://www.pci-to-pcmcia.com/index.php

    JohnO, Apr 5, 2006

  3. Bret

    Bret Guest

    On 4 Apr 2006 19:10:31 -0700, "JohnO" <> wrote:

    >Bret wrote:
    >> As per subject, I have a need for an adaptor(usb or pci or whatever)
    >> so I can use mobile data card on a desktop.
    >> Any suggestions appreciated :)

    >Google found this right away:
    >
    >http://www.pci-to-pcmcia.com/index.php

    Thanks for that JohnO,that's the sort of thing I am looking for, but I
    was hoping someone knows where to source one in NZ :)

    Bret, Apr 5, 2006
  4. Bret

    XPD Guest

    "Bret" <> wrote in message
    > As per subject, I have a need for an adaptor(usb or pci or whatever)
    > so I can use mobile data card on a desktop.
    > Any suggestions appreciated :)

    I know the type of thing you need but cant find any on my suppliers site...
    Ill poke around and see what I find :)

    XPD, Apr 5, 2006
  5. Bret

    thingy Guest

    Bret wrote:
    > As per subject, I have a need for an adaptor(usb or pci or whatever)
    > so I can use mobile data card on a desktop.
    > Any suggestions appreciated :)

    Some of the units that fit in a 3.5 inch floppy drive bay and connect
    internally via USB or ide chain might be a possibility for you, DSE sell
    them.

    Otherwise DSE sell external ones that fit 7 + different memory cards, I
    use one of them on my Mac, it might have a slot to suit you.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Apr 5, 2006
  6. Bret

    Another Rob Guest

    Bret wrote:
    > As per subject, I have a need for an adaptor(usb or pci or whatever)
    > so I can use mobile data card on a desktop.
    > Any suggestions appreciated :)

    Ascent have this
    http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=117323

    which is a pci slot card and a 3.5" unit that takes 2 PC Cards (PCMCIA).
    Not sure how it goes for non-data cards, but worth a shot.

    rlj

    Another Rob, Apr 5, 2006
  7. Bret

    Richard Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "Bret" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>As per subject, I have a need for an adaptor(usb or pci or whatever)
    >>so I can use mobile data card on a desktop.
    >>Any suggestions appreciated :)

    > I know the type of thing you need but cant find any on my suppliers site...
    > Ill poke around and see what I find :)

    Frequantly come up for wireless cards in the olden days, but be aware some dont
    have a proper cardbus controller, just some glue logic to make the specific
    pcmcia chipset couple to the pci bus.

    If you put it in and it comes up as a texas instruments cardbus controller (or
    some other brand) then you are all good to go, otherwise if it comes up as an
    unknown device then you will only find that the specific wifi card will work.

    Richard, Apr 5, 2006
  8. Bret

    Bret Guest

    On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 14:34:56 +1200, thingy <>
    wrote:

    >Bret wrote:
    >> As per subject, I have a need for an adaptor(usb or pci or whatever)
    >> so I can use mobile data card on a desktop.
    >> Any suggestions appreciated :)

    >Some of the units that fit in a 3.5 inch floppy drive bay and connect
    >internally via USB or ide chain might be a possibility for you, DSE sell
    >them.
    >
    >Otherwise DSE sell external ones that fit 7 + different memory cards, I
    >use one of them on my Mac, it might have a slot to suit you.
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing

    I had a look at the dse one and it seems they are 16 bit and the card
    is 32 bit, I may ring them and see if anyone there has a clue :)

    Bret, Apr 6, 2006
  9. Bret

    Bret Guest

    On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 18:20:43 +1200, Another Rob <>
    wrote:

    >Bret wrote:
    >> As per subject, I have a need for an adaptor(usb or pci or whatever)
    >> so I can use mobile data card on a desktop.
    >> Any suggestions appreciated :)

    >Ascent have this
    >http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=117323
    >
    >which is a pci slot card and a 3.5" unit that takes 2 PC Cards (PCMCIA).
    >Not sure how it goes for non-data cards, but worth a shot.
    >

    >rlj

    The manufacturers link says 16 bit and Telecom say it's a 32 bit card.
    I'm not sure, I will google the card and see.

    Bret, Apr 6, 2006
  10. Mark Robinson, Apr 6, 2006
  11. Bret

    Bret Guest

    On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 17:19:12 +1200, Mark Robinson
    <2tod.net> wrote:

    >Bret wrote:
    >> As per subject, I have a need for an adaptor(usb or pci or whatever)
    >> so I can use mobile data card on a desktop.
    >> Any suggestions appreciated :)

    >http://www.pricespy.co.nz/search.php?search=+cardbus +PCI&all=0

    Awsome Mark, thanks, I didn't realise pricespy listed everything :)

    Bret, Apr 6, 2006