Using PC As TVI-Like Device?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by (PeteCresswell), Aug 13, 2007.

  1. After discovering that DVD-VHS boxes that record to a hard drive
    were not tb found in the couple of stores I tried, I started
    looking at PC cards that purport to tune TV signals and record
    the material to the PC's hard drive - given an adequate video
    card in the PC.

    Some were just cards that go into the PC, others were separate
    units that connected to the PC via USB2.

    What they all had in common was scheduling software and verbiage
    in the product descriptions that sounded like they only work with
    cable.

    If cable-specific, I'd guess it's something about the software
    they supply to do timed recordings... metadata blocks or whatever
    on the signal from which the sw can extract program names,
    channel numbers, or whatever.

    Does this sound right so far?

    Does anybody know if there's any hope of using a PC to record TV
    shows with just rabbit ears? i.e. without cable...
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Aug 13, 2007

  2. (PeteCresswell)

    Gilgamesh Guest

    "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote in message
    > After discovering that DVD-VHS boxes that record to a hard drive
    > were not tb found in the couple of stores I tried, I started
    > looking at PC cards that purport to tune TV signals and record
    > the material to the PC's hard drive - given an adequate video
    > card in the PC.
    >
    > Some were just cards that go into the PC, others were separate
    > units that connected to the PC via USB2.
    >
    > What they all had in common was scheduling software and verbiage
    > in the product descriptions that sounded like they only work with
    > cable.
    >
    > If cable-specific, I'd guess it's something about the software
    > they supply to do timed recordings... metadata blocks or whatever
    > on the signal from which the sw can extract program names,
    > channel numbers, or whatever.
    >
    > Does this sound right so far?
    >
    > Does anybody know if there's any hope of using a PC to record TV
    > shows with just rabbit ears? i.e. without cable...

    All you need is a digital tuner card for your PC.
    There are many available.
    Try looking at www.htpcnews.com
    (Home Theatre PC)

    Gilgamesh, Aug 13, 2007

  3. (PeteCresswell)

    nick Guest

    > "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote in message
    >> What they all had in common was scheduling software and verbiage
    >> in the product descriptions that sounded like they only work with
    >> cable.

    The TV tuner card I have in a PCI slot in my PC works great with just
    a small antenna attached. I use it both to record off the air to the
    hard drive, and also to record VHS tapes for burning to DVD. The
    WinFAST software let's me schedule off-the-air recording.

    nick

    nick, Aug 13, 2007
  4. Per nick:
    >The TV tuner card I have in a PCI slot in my PC works great with just
    >a small antenna attached. I use it both to record off the air to the
    >hard drive, and also to record VHS tapes for burning to DVD. The
    >WinFAST software let's me schedule off-the-air recording.

    Sounds like what I'm looking for.

    I'm guessing WinFAST came bundled with it, right?

    If so, do you recall the brand/model name that was on the box the
    card came in?
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Aug 13, 2007
  5. (PeteCresswell)

    nick Guest

    (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > Per nick:
    >> The TV tuner card I have in a PCI slot in my PC works great with just
    >> a small antenna attached. I use it both to record off the air to the
    >> hard drive, and also to record VHS tapes for burning to DVD. The
    >> WinFAST software let's me schedule off-the-air recording.

    > Sounds like what I'm looking for.
    >
    > I'm guessing WinFAST came bundled with it, right?
    >
    > If so, do you recall the brand/model name that was on the box the
    > card came in?

    Leadtek WinFast TV 2000 XP RM Edition

    Software is included. So is a remote control, which I have never used.

    nick, Aug 13, 2007