    would use an ISP?

    Thanks

    Rochelle
    Roc, Jan 19, 2004

  2. Roc

    Psy Guest

    "Roc" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I am currently connected through dsl internet. Is it possible to dial
    > into this connection from a remote location and use it as though one
    > would use an ISP?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Rochelle

    Sure, even though most services frown upon it. However, you will tie up
    your phone line.
    Solution; get multiple lines and modems (for more than one connection).
    If you want to allow just one connection and still use your phone
    simultainiously you'll need two phone lines. I'll bet that the line costs
    you more than an isp for that person, plus they'll only get dial up speed.
    ISP's pay much less for their lines and multi-modems in volume.
    Basically, no, not efficient. You pay for phone service seperately from
    your dsl and isp rate (though often many of the last two are bundled by some
    carriers).
    Phone companies thought this out long ago and when it comes down to
    screwing with their profits, they're going to be on top.
    Psy, Jan 19, 2004

  3. >> I am currently connected through dsl internet. Is it possible to dial
    >> into this connection from a remote location and use it as though one
    >> would use an ISP?

    > Sure, even though most services frown upon it. However, you will tie up
    >your phone line.

    From the sound of things, I'm assuming he wanted to be able to reach
    the internet from a friends house who didn't have internet or
    something. In that case, many ISP's offer limited emergency dial-up
    hours with their DSL service. As far as providing access to someone
    else or being his own full-fledge ISP, there's software out there to
    be your own full fledge ISP. For basic connection, Windows has a
    dial-up connection program that answers the phone and requires a
    password.... Actually, the speeds he'll achieve will actually be no
    higher than 28.8k or so. Bear in mind for a 56k connection to be
    achieved, he'll have to have a special "server" 56k modem that the
    ISP's use.... If his ISP finds out what he's doing, he could loose
    his service with them. If phone lines are an issue, some ISP's like
    earthlink will sell you a phone line through your DSL connection that
    you plug in this adapter and get 3 jacks off it. 1 Being your normal
    phone line, and the other 2 are 2nd phone lines. Granted, the rates
    are rather high for that, but if your going to be adding a 2nd line,
    the price you pay for 2 extra lines from earthlink are equivilent to
    the 1 extra line you pay for with your local phone company....
    John H. Guillory, Jan 19, 2004