    local phone company.

    Thanks

    , Aug 1, 2005

  2. Fakename Guest

    Fax/Data use a different signal type than voice, even though they use
    the same physical line. So just because you have a device that attaches
    to your phone line doesn't mean you can use it as a phone. I don't know
    if you can tell a modem to connect to a number without trying to
    "handshake".

    For what it's worth, I've never heard of anyone doing what you're trying
    to do. It may be that I've just never heard about it, but my best guess
    is that it doesn't exist.

    I think the reasons that it doesn't exist, or is not popular, are:

    1: If you're already paying for a working phone line a computer is a
    hyper expensive type of handset. Especially considering that a headset
    or mic are not exactly "standard equipment".

    2: All computer modems, or almost all, or certianly all the ones I've
    ever seen, have 2 ports so that you can plug a handset into the computer.

    But if you do find software to do this I'd be interested, for
    curiosity's sake, to know what it is.

    Fakename, Aug 1, 2005

  3. Simon Lee Guest

    > wrote:
    >> Hi, I am looking to use my PC as just a regular phone via the modem.
    >>
    >> I already use Skype for internet based calls, but I wanted to set up my
    >> PC to enable me to just make local calls from PC to Telephone.
    >>
    >> Is there any software that you recommend.
    >>
    >> Having it do voicemail is optional as I already have voicemail with the
    >> local phone company.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    Back in 1996, I had a Packard Bell that came with a Voice Modem and a piece
    of software called CommCentral
    (http://www.computerhope.com/software/commc.htm).
    For a while, I used it to make and receive calls, record them, keep a call
    log, as a voicemail machine and even for faxes.
    I don't know if you can get Commcentral anymore but I'm sure a quick google
    search will tell you.
    If not, have a look at http://www.ttuga.com/software/72/voice-modem.html.

    Hope this Helps

    Simon

    Simon Lee, Aug 1, 2005
  4. The One Guest

    "Fakename" <> wrote in message
    > Fax/Data use a different signal type than voice, even though they use
    > the same physical line. So just because you have a device that attaches
    > to your phone line doesn't mean you can use it as a phone. I don't know
    > if you can tell a modem to connect to a number without trying to
    > "handshake".
    >
    > For what it's worth, I've never heard of anyone doing what you're trying
    > to do. It may be that I've just never heard about it, but my best guess
    > is that it doesn't exist.
    >
    > I think the reasons that it doesn't exist, or is not popular, are:
    >
    > 1: If you're already paying for a working phone line a computer is a
    > hyper expensive type of handset. Especially considering that a headset
    > or mic are not exactly "standard equipment".
    >
    > 2: All computer modems, or almost all, or certianly all the ones I've
    > ever seen, have 2 ports so that you can plug a handset into the computer.
    >
    > But if you do find software to do this I'd be interested, for
    > curiosity's sake, to know what it is.

    Your wrong, the older fax/voice modems were capable of making calls via a pc
    with the use of a microphone headset. Wherest you were not able to take
    calls whislt online for obvious reasons, you could easily dial up numbers
    and talk to people, this was common a few years ago on the old dial-up
    modems and is as easy to do as plugging in a phone.

    Though I do not know now with the arrival of broadband modems that this is a
    good thing to do as broadband is a long term is not perminant connection.
    This may be overcome by using an old fax/voice modem running in tandem, but
    not sure if it will work.

    I expect there are plenty of free/shareware programs that will do the job
    try www.download.com

    The One, Aug 1, 2005
  5. BenG Guest

    Do a google search at