Using Passphrases

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by =?Utf-8?B?QUxTQVdBSQ==?=, Jul 3, 2005.

  1. Using Passphrases instead of using password??what are the advtanges?

    =?Utf-8?B?QUxTQVdBSQ==?=, Jul 3, 2005

  2. There is a great article about such at the links below. In general users
    will be able to remember pass phrases much easier than complex passwords.
    Therefore you can enforce longer passwords such as 20 characters and still
    enable complexity. Such a password could be " I forget my stupid password ".
    Now you have an easy to remember password that is 27 characters long and
    meets complexity requirements. With current technology [unless you run NSA]
    you most likely would no be able to crack such a password in your lifetime.
    For sensitive user accounts such as administrators for a domain/forest smart
    cards should be considered and the account configured to logon via smart
    card only.. --- Steve

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/secnews/articles/itproviewpoint091004.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/secnews/articles/itproviewpoint100504.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmgmt/sm1204.mspx

    Steven L Umbach, Jul 3, 2005

  3. Well, thanx Steven for ur information, but is there any other useful links
    for using passphrases.

    =?Utf-8?B?QUxTQVdBSQ==?=, Jul 4, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?QUxTQVdBSQ==?=

    Neil Guest

    did you hear "=?Utf-8?B?QUxTQVdBSQ==?="
    <> say in

    > Well, thanx Steven for ur information, but is there any other useful
    > links for using passphrases.
    >

    > "ALSAWAI" wrote:
    >
    >> Using Passphrases instead of using password??what are the advtanges?

    you mean other than:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/secnews/articles/itproviewpoint
    091004.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/secnews/articles/itproviewpoint
    100504.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmgmt/sm1204.mspx

    which Steve gave you in round one? well, http://www.google.ca/search?
    hl=en&q=security+passphrase+advantages+password&meta=
    (http://tinyurl.com/brfqt) has about 9800 hits for you.

    --
    Neil MCNGP#30

    - Excuse me if I sound bitter....I taste that way too.

    Neil, Jul 4, 2005