Using Old Hard Drive in Ext Drive Enclosure (USB) on new computer?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by dejola, Apr 28, 2006.

  1. dejola

    dejola Guest

    My daughter bought a new computer. She wants her email and email
    addressbook from her old computer transferred to the new computer. I go
    out and buy PC Relocator Ultra Control (highly recommended by PC
    Magazine). I install the PC Relocator on the new computer. But when I
    try to install it on the old computer it wouldn't power up (power
    supply gone bad?).

    So now I switch to plan two. I go out and buy a $30 external hard drive
    enclosure at CompUSA, remove the hard drive from the old computer and
    successfully install it in the external hard drive enclosure. Using the
    provided USB cable I connect it to the new computer, which recognizes
    the now external drive as drive k:

    Since drive k: is not a bootable drive, what I get when I click on the
    drive in My Computers are a bunch of files and folders. I cannot for
    the life of me figure out how to find my daughter's old emails (lots of
    them) and addressbook. Complicating matters is the fact that she's not
    sure if she was using Outlook Express or Thunderbird as her email
    client.

    So I see an icon for Outlook Express on drive k: and click on it. But
    what appears is the new Outlook Express, not the old one.

    Can anybody tell me how to deal with this now external hard drive to
    find the old emails and addressbook?

    Thanks so much.
    dejola, Apr 28, 2006

  2. dejola wrote:
    > My daughter bought a new computer. She wants her email and email
    > addressbook from her old computer transferred to the new computer. I go
    > out and buy PC Relocator Ultra Control (highly recommended by PC
    > Magazine). I install the PC Relocator on the new computer. But when I
    > try to install it on the old computer it wouldn't power up (power
    > supply gone bad?).
    >
    > So now I switch to plan two. I go out and buy a $30 external hard drive
    > enclosure at CompUSA, remove the hard drive from the old computer and
    > successfully install it in the external hard drive enclosure. Using the
    > provided USB cable I connect it to the new computer, which recognizes
    > the now external drive as drive k:
    >
    > Since drive k: is not a bootable drive, what I get when I click on the
    > drive in My Computers are a bunch of files and folders. I cannot for
    > the life of me figure out how to find my daughter's old emails (lots of
    > them) and addressbook. Complicating matters is the fact that she's not
    > sure if she was using Outlook Express or Thunderbird as her email
    > client.
    >
    > So I see an icon for Outlook Express on drive k: and click on it. But
    > what appears is the new Outlook Express, not the old one.
    >
    > Can anybody tell me how to deal with this now external hard drive to
    > find the old emails and addressbook?
    >
    > Thanks so much.

    Put the drive back in the old computer, boot up, log your daughter in
    and export the Address book and Mail messages using the tools built
    into OE, if she was using Thunderbird ther mail will be stored in her
    profile in the Thunderbird directory under her Documents and settings
    Application Data.
    GreenieLeBrun, Apr 28, 2006

  3. dejola

    harry Guest

    "dejola" <> wrote in message
    > My daughter bought a new computer. She wants her email and email
    > addressbook from her old computer transferred to the new computer. I go
    > out and buy PC Relocator Ultra Control (highly recommended by PC
    > Magazine). I install the PC Relocator on the new computer. But when I
    > try to install it on the old computer it wouldn't power up (power
    > supply gone bad?).
    >
    > So now I switch to plan two. I go out and buy a $30 external hard drive
    > enclosure at CompUSA, remove the hard drive from the old computer and
    > successfully install it in the external hard drive enclosure. Using the
    > provided USB cable I connect it to the new computer, which recognizes
    > the now external drive as drive k:
    >
    > Since drive k: is not a bootable drive, what I get when I click on the
    > drive in My Computers are a bunch of files and folders. I cannot for
    > the life of me figure out how to find my daughter's old emails (lots of
    > them) and addressbook. Complicating matters is the fact that she's not
    > sure if she was using Outlook Express or Thunderbird as her email
    > client.

    Can anyone answer the above, I have the same problem with my external
    enclosure and I can only transfer the icons and nothing else.

    Harry
    harry, Apr 28, 2006
  4. dejola

    dogsBollix Guest

    "GreenieLeBrun" <> wrote in

    > dejola wrote:
    >> My daughter bought a new computer. She wants her email and email
    >> addressbook from her old computer transferred to the new computer. I go
    >> out and buy PC Relocator Ultra Control (highly recommended by PC
    >> Magazine). I install the PC Relocator on the new computer. But when I
    >> try to install it on the old computer it wouldn't power up (power
    >> supply gone bad?).
    >>
    >> So now I switch to plan two. I go out and buy a $30 external hard drive
    >> enclosure at CompUSA, remove the hard drive from the old computer and
    >> successfully install it in the external hard drive enclosure. Using the
    >> provided USB cable I connect it to the new computer, which recognizes
    >> the now external drive as drive k:
    >>
    >> Since drive k: is not a bootable drive, what I get when I click on the
    >> drive in My Computers are a bunch of files and folders. I cannot for
    >> the life of me figure out how to find my daughter's old emails (lots of
    >> them) and addressbook. Complicating matters is the fact that she's not
    >> sure if she was using Outlook Express or Thunderbird as her email
    >> client.
    >>
    >> So I see an icon for Outlook Express on drive k: and click on it. But
    >> what appears is the new Outlook Express, not the old one.
    >>
    >> Can anybody tell me how to deal with this now external hard drive to
    >> find the old emails and addressbook?
    >>
    >> Thanks so much.

    > Put the drive back in the old computer, boot up, log your daughter in
    > and export the Address book and Mail messages using the tools built
    > into OE, if she was using Thunderbird ther mail will be stored in her
    > profile in the Thunderbird directory under her Documents and settings
    > Application Data.

    didn't he say the old computer was dead ?
    doesn't the location of the email data depend on the version of windows on
    the old computer ?

    dB
    dogsBollix, Apr 28, 2006
  5. dejola

    PC Guest

    "dejola" <> wrote in message
    > My daughter bought a new computer. She wants her email and email
    > addressbook from her old computer transferred to the new computer. I go
    > out and buy PC Relocator Ultra Control (highly recommended by PC
    > Magazine). I install the PC Relocator on the new computer. But when I
    > try to install it on the old computer it wouldn't power up (power
    > supply gone bad?).
    >
    > So now I switch to plan two. I go out and buy a $30 external hard drive
    > enclosure at CompUSA, remove the hard drive from the old computer and
    > successfully install it in the external hard drive enclosure. Using the
    > provided USB cable I connect it to the new computer, which recognizes
    > the now external drive as drive k:
    >
    > Since drive k: is not a bootable drive, what I get when I click on the
    > drive in My Computers are a bunch of files and folders. I cannot for
    > the life of me figure out how to find my daughter's old emails (lots of
    > them) and addressbook. Complicating matters is the fact that she's not
    > sure if she was using Outlook Express or Thunderbird as her email
    > client.
    >
    > So I see an icon for Outlook Express on drive k: and click on it. But
    > what appears is the new Outlook Express, not the old one.
    >
    > Can anybody tell me how to deal with this now external hard drive to
    > find the old emails and addressbook?
    >
    > Thanks so much.

    The location of your daughters emails and address book varies depending on
    the version of windows on the old PC and the email program she was using.

    If she was using Outlook Express look for the following on the old drive
    (your K: drive)
    Emails, Windows 9x probably 'C:\windows\application
    data\identities.....\outlook express', Windows 2000/XP 'C:\documents &
    Settings\username\.....\outlook express' the files will have the same names
    as the folders ie inbox, outbox, sent etc.
    Addressbook will be in a folder named 'Address book' nearby and will have a
    ..wab extension.

    If you are lucky you may locate them by searching on K: drive for "inbox.*"
    and "*.wab" though if the hidden and system attribute bits are on you may
    have to modify your search parameters.

    To pull them into the new PC's Outlook Express use the Import facility under
    the File menu, eg File, Import, Address Book (or Email Messages) etc (I
    forget the exact sequence, just read the prompts) and navigate to the folder
    you found on K: drive containing the Address Book / Email messages and
    import.

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PC, Apr 28, 2006
  6. dejola

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 20:19:49 -0700, dejola wrote:

    > ubject: Using Old Hard Drive in Ext Drive Enclosure (USB) on new computer?
    > From: "dejola" <>
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Date: 27 Apr 2006 20:19:49 -0700
    >
    > My daughter bought a new computer. She wants her email and email
    > addressbook from her old computer transferred to the new computer. I go
    > out and buy PC Relocator Ultra Control (highly recommended by PC
    > Magazine). I install the PC Relocator on the new computer. But when I try
    > to install it on the old computer it wouldn't power up (power supply gone
    > bad?).
    >
    > So now I switch to plan two. I go out and buy a $30 external hard drive
    > enclosure at CompUSA, remove the hard drive from the old computer and
    > successfully install it in the external hard drive enclosure. Using the
    > provided USB cable I connect it to the new computer, which recognizes the
    > now external drive as drive k:
    >
    > Since drive k: is not a bootable drive, what I get when I click on the
    > drive in My Computers are a bunch of files and folders. I cannot for the
    > life of me figure out how to find my daughter's old emails (lots of them)
    > and addressbook. Complicating matters is the fact that she's not sure if
    > she was using Outlook Express or Thunderbird as her email client.
    >
    > So I see an icon for Outlook Express on drive k: and click on it. But what
    > appears is the new Outlook Express, not the old one.
    >
    > Can anybody tell me how to deal with this now external hard drive to find
    > the old emails and addressbook?

    Figure out what she used for email first. if it's OE, then read this page
    (scroll down to the section on OE.) it will tell you how to browse for the
    right file then import it into your current instance of OE.

    http://www.sitedeveloper.ws/tutorials/outlook.htm

    Meat Plow, Apr 28, 2006
  7. dejola

    dejola Guest

    Yes, the old computer is dead. Strange, though, because it had been
    working. Just when I want to transfer all this stuff it decides not to
    power on.

    The old computer was running Windows XP and so is the new one.

    I've printed out the tutorial that Meat Plow sent me the link to and
    will try again in the next day or so to locate and move over the email
    and contacts in the old OE.

    I did do a search (files and folders) for *.wab and found none. But I
    guess what I have to search for in Outlook Express are the *.dbx files.

    Thank you all for your good avice and suggestions.
    dejola, Apr 28, 2006
  8. dejola

    EricP Guest

    On 28 Apr 2006 06:01:52 -0700, "dejola" <>
    wrote:

    >Thank you all for your good avice and suggestions.

    /me makes a note in "The Big Book of Impossible Things".

    Today, someone came to 24hoursupport and received good advice and went
    away unscathed and happy!

    WOW
    EricP, Apr 28, 2006