    f4-5.6 D
    and a Sigma 70-300mm F4-56 APO Macro for Nikon AF D with a Sigma Tele
    Converter x 1.4 AF??

    Sam Avampato, May 1, 2006

  2. Sam Avampato

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Mon, 01 May 2006 16:47:56 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Sam Avampato"
    <> wrote:

    >Can I expect reasonable results when using Nikon AF-Zoom-Nikon 35-80mm
    >f4-5.6 D
    >and a Sigma 70-300mm F4-56 APO Macro for Nikon AF D with a Sigma Tele
    >Converter x 1.4 AF??

    Did you get reasonable results with them before? Given the 1.5 crop
    factor you will only be capturing the center portion of the light
    image captured by the lens, so it might be better. Except for the very
    high end bodies, you'll need to keep the combined max aperture to
    f/5.6 of larger for AF to work.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, May 1, 2006

  3. Sam Avampato

    frederick Guest

    Sam Avampato wrote:
    > Can I expect reasonable results when using Nikon AF-Zoom-Nikon 35-80mm
    > f4-5.6 D
    > and a Sigma 70-300mm F4-56 APO Macro for Nikon AF D with a Sigma Tele
    > Converter x 1.4 AF??

    There were a couple of different 35-80 AF-D lenses. IIRC, one is made
    in Japan and is okay for a cheap lens. The other is made in China, and
    is reputed to be rubbish - one of the worst lenses to have the Nikkor
    name on it (not necessarily because it's made in China). The most
    obvious difference is that the Japanese one has a normal focus ring, and
    a metal mount, and the Chinese one a very thin focus ring right at the
    front and a plastic mount.
    The Sigma should be fine. Don't know if the TC will work, but even if
    it does then AF action is going to be very dodgy in other than very
    bright daylight.
    The 18-70 "kit lens" would be a good combination with the Sigma,
    covering 18-300mm (FOV equivalent to 28-450 for a 35mm camera).

    frederick, May 2, 2006