    Jim

    Tyneside - North East of England
    To email me directly omit the X from my address
    Jim Scott, Jan 7, 2005

  2. Jim Scott

    Hammerer Guest

    "Jim Scott" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns95D7D2E8A127EmrjimscottXvirginnet@130.133.1.4...

    > I have used news.individual.net (and its daddy) for years, but is there

    any
    > real advantage or even any disadvantage over using my isp's news server?

    I don't know. Is there??!!
    Hammerer, Jan 7, 2005

  3. Jim Scott

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jim Scott wrote:
    > I have used news.individual.net (and its daddy) for years, but is
    > there any real advantage or even any disadvantage over using my isp's
    > news server?

    Individual probably has more/better feeds for the groups it covers, and
    it might have better retention, depending upon the 'class' of your own
    provider's news. It does a better job of filtering than my provider;
    so it scores over my own provider on all of those counts. To say
    nothing of the fact that until recently, EL had added no new groups in
    well over a year. So EL's news isn't even in the same class as NIN,
    except that it provides binaries and such.

    Individual's rules are a little ambiguous about mungeing -- but then so
    are many providers.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 7, 2005
  4. Jim Scott

    EricP Guest

    On 7 Jan 2005 20:44:00 GMT, Jim Scott <> wrote:

    >I have used news.individual.net (and its daddy) for years, but is there any
    >real advantage or even any disadvantage over using my isp's news server?

    I am afraid our Crystal Ball is still on loan for the Xmas season and
    not returned yet. The clairvoyant might pop in later, I will ask her
    for you.
    EricP, Jan 7, 2005
  5. Jim Scott

    Jim Scott Guest

    Hammerer wrote:
    > "Jim Scott" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have used news.individual.net (and its daddy) for years, but is there

    > any
    >
    >>real advantage or even any disadvantage over using my isp's news server?
    >>

    > I don't know. Is there??!!

    Never noticed, that's why I ask.

    Jim Scott, Jan 7, 2005
  6. Jim Scott

    Gember Breuk Guest

    On 7 Jan 2005 20:44:00 GMT, Jim Scott wrote:

    > I have used news.individual.net (and its daddy) for years, but is there any
    > real advantage or even any disadvantage over using my isp's news server?

    I think NIN has maybe the best spam filters I know for Usenet.

    --
    Gem
    Gember Breuk, Jan 7, 2005
  7. Jim Scott

    Jim Scott Guest

    EricP wrote:
    > On 7 Jan 2005 20:44:00 GMT, Jim Scott <> wrote:
    >

    >>I have used news.individual.net (and its daddy) for years, but is there any
    >>real advantage or even any disadvantage over using my isp's news server?

    > I am afraid our Crystal Ball is still on loan for the Xmas season and
    > not returned yet. The clairvoyant might pop in later, I will ask her
    > for you.

    Sorry I wasn't trying to be obscure so I'll rephrase the question.
    If I (or you) have an ISP which offers a perfectly good news server, why would I
    (or you) choose NIN in preference?

    Jim Scott, Jan 7, 2005
  8. Jim Scott

    Bert Hyman Guest

    (Jim Scott) wrote in

    > I have used news.individual.net (and its daddy) for years, but is
    > there any real advantage or even any disadvantage over using my
    > isp's news server?

    Individual.net doesn't carry binaries; that matters a lot to some
    folks.

    Assuming that your ISP isn't run by idiots, and that they run their
    own news server, your ISP might be easier to deal with regarding
    adding newsgroups or other service related issues.

    Your ISP probably has some internal newsgroups which you won't find
    anywhere else.

    You can connect to individual.net from anywhere, while some ISPs
    won't allow you to connect to their server if you're not coming from
    within their network, although many will allow you to authenticate
    with a userid/password if you're coming in from the outside [just
    like individual.net does].

    I'm sure if you think about it for a few minutes, you can come up
    with other differences.

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
    Bert Hyman, Jan 7, 2005
  9. Jim Scott

    diddy Guest

    in thread news:: Jim Scott
    <> whittled the following words:

    > Hammerer wrote:
    >> "Jim Scott" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I have used news.individual.net (and its daddy) for years, but is there

    >> any
    >>
    >>>real advantage or even any disadvantage over using my isp's news server?
    >>>

    >> I don't know. Is there??!!
    >>

    > Never noticed, that's why I ask.

    Using my REAL address is required for news.individual.net
    If I use my own isp news server, I am allowed to munge my address so that I
    can duck the resulting spam. This is a big boon to myself AND my isp.
    So I prefer my ISP. I wouldn't use anything except a throwaway account to
    subscribe to newsgroups without a munged address.
    diddy, Jan 7, 2005
  10. Jim Scott

    Bert Hyman Guest

    (diddy) wrote in

    > Using my REAL address is required for news.individual.net

    Are you sure, or do you just have to use an address that appears to
    be real? Even so, won't a throwaway yahoo or hotmail address work?

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
    Bert Hyman, Jan 7, 2005
  11. Jim Scott

    Jim Scott Guest

    diddy wrote:
    > in thread news:: Jim Scott
    > <> whittled the following words:
    >

    >>Hammerer wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Jim Scott" <> wrote in message

    >>>any

    >>>I don't know. Is there??!!
    >>>

    >>Never noticed, that's why I ask.

    > Using my REAL address is required for news.individual.net
    > If I use my own isp news server, I am allowed to munge my address so that I
    > can duck the resulting spam. This is a big boon to myself AND my isp.
    > So I prefer my ISP. I wouldn't use anything except a throwaway account to
    > subscribe to newsgroups without a munged address.

    Not so. My address here is munged ever so slightly.

    Jim Scott, Jan 7, 2005
  12. Jim Scott

    Tarkus Guest

    On 1/7/2005 1:44:36 PM, Gember Breuk wrote:

    > On 7 Jan 2005 20:44:00 GMT, Jim Scott wrote:
    >
    >> I have used news.individual.net (and its daddy) for years, but is
    >> there any real advantage or even any disadvantage over using my isp's
    >> news server?

    > I think NIN has maybe the best spam filters I know for Usenet.

    Cox has very good spam filters. They suck in other areas, but they do a
    good job of filtering spam.

    One nice thing about NIN is its portability from ISP to ISP.
    --
    "Never before has the beauty of the sexual act been so crassly
    exploited!"

    Now playing: "King Crimson - Easy Money"
    Tarkus, Jan 7, 2005
  13. Jim Scott

    Gember Breuk Guest

    <
    >> Hammerer wrote:
    >>> "Jim Scott" <> wrote in message

    >>> I don't know. Is there??!!
    >>>

    >> Never noticed, that's why I ask.

    > Using my REAL address is required for news.individual.net
    > If I use my own isp news server, I am allowed to munge my address so that I
    > can duck the resulting spam. This is a big boon to myself AND my isp.
    > So I prefer my ISP. I wouldn't use anything except a throwaway account to
    > subscribe to newsgroups without a munged address.

    Using your real address for posting is *not* required of NIN:

    <quote>
    5.3 May I mangle my "From:" header address so that I do not get SPAM?

    We recommend creating a special e-mail address for use with Usenet
    articles only and protecting it with suitable filtering rules. This
    way your regular mailbox will stay untroubled, but you can still
    receive mail responses to your Usenet articles.

    Another option is using the Top Level Domain ".invalid" (see RFC
    2606). The Top Level Domain ".invalid" is intended for construction of
    obviously invalid addresses like "". Such
    addresses do not disturb and pollute regular name space and can easily
    be identified as invalid by both humans and machines.
    </quote>

    http://news.individual.net/faq.html#5.3

    --
    Gem
    Gember Breuk, Jan 7, 2005
  14. Jim Scott

    diddy Guest

    in thread news:: Gember Breuk
    <> whittled the following words:

    > On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 15:45:46 -0600, diddy wrote:
    >
    >> in thread news:: Jim Scott
    >> <> whittled the following words:

    ><

    >>> Never noticed, that's why I ask.

    >> Using my REAL address is required for news.individual.net
    >> If I use my own isp news server, I am allowed to munge my address so
    >> that I can duck the resulting spam. This is a big boon to myself AND
    >> my isp. So I prefer my ISP. I wouldn't use anything except a
    >> throwaway account to subscribe to newsgroups without a munged
    >> address.

    > Using your real address for posting is *not* required of NIN:
    >
    ><quote>
    > 5.3 May I mangle my "From:" header address so that I do not get SPAM?
    >
    > We recommend creating a special e-mail address for use with Usenet
    > articles only and protecting it with suitable filtering rules. This
    > way your regular mailbox will stay untroubled, but you can still
    > receive mail responses to your Usenet articles.
    >
    > Another option is using the Top Level Domain ".invalid" (see RFC
    > 2606). The Top Level Domain ".invalid" is intended for construction of
    > obviously invalid addresses like "". Such
    > addresses do not disturb and pollute regular name space and can easily
    > be identified as invalid by both humans and machines.
    ></quote>
    >
    > http://news.individual.net/faq.html#5.3

    Very helpful indeed! Thanks
    diddy, Jan 7, 2005
  15. Jim Scott

    Gember Breuk Guest

    On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 13:51:17 -0800, Tarkus wrote:

    > On 1/7/2005 1:44:36 PM, Gember Breuk wrote:
    >
    >> On 7 Jan 2005 20:44:00 GMT, Jim Scott wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have used news.individual.net (and its daddy) for years, but is
    >>> there any real advantage or even any disadvantage over using my isp's
    >>> news server?

    >> I think NIN has maybe the best spam filters I know for Usenet.

    > Cox has very good spam filters. They suck in other areas, but they do a
    > good job of filtering spam.

    I have heard they have good filters too.

    > One nice thing about NIN is its portability from ISP to ISP.

    Yes, I travel some and it's a big help for connecting and posting
    wherever I am.

    --
    Gem
    Gember Breuk, Jan 7, 2005
  16. Jim Scott

    SgtMinor Guest

    Gember Breuk wrote:

    > On 7 Jan 2005 20:44:00 GMT, Jim Scott wrote:
    >
    >> I have used news.individual.net (and its daddy) for years, but is there any
    >> real advantage or even any disadvantage over using my isp's news server?

    > I think NIN has maybe the best spam filters I know for Usenet.

    Uhh..."I think"..."maybe"..."the best"... What a recommendation!
    SgtMinor, Jan 7, 2005
  17. Jim Scott

    Gember Breuk Guest

    On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 17:36:17 -0500, SgtMinor wrote:

    > Gember Breuk wrote:
    >
    >> On 7 Jan 2005 20:44:00 GMT, Jim Scott wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have used news.individual.net (and its daddy) for years, but is there any
    >>> real advantage or even any disadvantage over using my isp's news server?

    >> I think NIN has maybe the best spam filters I know for Usenet.
    >>

    > Uhh..."I think"..."maybe"..."the best"... What a recommendation!

    I'm sorry if my English is not so good for you. How good is your
    Afrikaans? :)

    --
    Gem
    Gember Breuk, Jan 7, 2005
  18. Jim Scott

    diddy Guest

    in thread news:pvekxcjz0oe1$: Gember Breuk
    <> whittled the following words:

    > On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 17:36:17 -0500, SgtMinor wrote:
    >
    >> Gember Breuk wrote:

    >>> I think NIN has maybe the best spam filters I know for Usenet.
    >>>

    >> Uhh..."I think"..."maybe"..."the best"... What a recommendation!

    > I'm sorry if my English is not so good for you. How good is your
    > Afrikaans? :)

    That was a very nice response to a very insulting comment
    diddy, Jan 7, 2005
  19. Jim Scott

    Jimbob Guest

    "diddy" <> wrote in message
    > Using my REAL address is required for news.individual.net
    > If I use my own isp news server, I am allowed to munge my address so that

    > can duck the resulting spam. This is a big boon to myself AND my isp.
    > So I prefer my ISP. I wouldn't use anything except a throwaway account to
    > subscribe to newsgroups without a munged address.

    Not true at all.
    Jimbob, Jan 7, 2005
  20. Jim Scott

    EricP Guest

    On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 21:45:09 +0000, Jim Scott
    <> wrote:

    >EricP wrote:
    >> On 7 Jan 2005 20:44:00 GMT, Jim Scott <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have used news.individual.net (and its daddy) for years, but is there any
    >>>real advantage or even any disadvantage over using my isp's news server?

    >> I am afraid our Crystal Ball is still on loan for the Xmas season and
    >> not returned yet. The clairvoyant might pop in later, I will ask her
    >> for you.
    >>

    >Sorry I wasn't trying to be obscure so I'll rephrase the question.
    >If I (or you) have an ISP which offers a perfectly good news server, why would I
    >(or you) choose NIN in preference?

    Still a difficult one to answer. Two servers are better than one in
    most cases, but it depends if it costs you, or not. If you are happy,
    stick with what you have, unless the alternative has a lot more
    facilities, (Groups) that your own does not. It's all in what suits
    you and you feel comfortable with.
    EricP, Jan 7, 2005