Using NAT and several public IP on the same ethernet interface

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by curro, Dec 22, 2003.

  1. curro

    curro Guest

    Hello

    I'm a network administrator and I need some advice.

    I have a small network with a Cisco 2516 router, several servers and
    lots of hosts. I also have a small range of public IP. I can't give a
    public IP to every host, because I don't have enough. So, the question
    is How can I organize the network?

    I have thought two possibilities:

    A: Using NAT for servers and hosts. Static NAT for Servers, and
    NAT-PAT for hosts. This can improve network security, but the servers
    need to use multimedia, and I don't know if there could be some
    problems with NAT and ports. In this case, I will use an Ethernet
    inteface as usual.

    B: Configure two subinterfaces on Ethernet interface, with two
    different addresses. Host will use private address and router will do
    NAT . The other address will be public and the servers will have
    public addresses. Do you know if this could be possible?

    Which one could be possible or better?

    Thanks in advance

    Curro

    curro, Dec 22, 2003

  2. curro

    Smash Guest

    Hi Curro.

    I have a similar setup at one of my buildings. I have a public ip
    range behind my firewall consisting of 14 usable ip addresses. I have
    4 servers, each of them are statically bound to their own public ip
    address. I have around 100 or so hosts that share the other ips via
    NAT/PAT. My servers run many different services (web, imap, pop, ftp,
    mysql) and they have no problem accomplishing the mission. Option A
    would work good for you.

    Good luck,

    !Brian

    Smash, Dec 22, 2003

  3. curro

    Dan Lanciani Guest

    In article <>, (curro) writes:

    | B: Configure two subinterfaces on Ethernet interface, with two
    | different addresses. Host will use private address and router will do
    | NAT . The other address will be public and the servers will have
    | public addresses. Do you know if this could be possible?

    I've done this by simply adding a secondary address on the interface.
    Unless you are trying to create separate VLANs it isn't clear to me
    that you would want to (or even could in many cases) use subinterfaces.

    Dan Lanciani
    ddl@danlan.*com

    Dan Lanciani, Dec 22, 2003