Using multiple VOIP providers?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Lobster, Sep 16, 2009.

  1. Lobster

    Lobster Guest

    Daughter is shortly off to uni for the first time and will be living in
    a uni flat wired with internet.

    The Uni is plugging the use of internet telephony, and is advising the
    use of their preferred system, 'Freewire'. Looking at its website at
    http://www.freewiretv.com/phonefaqs.html#1 as far as I can tell this
    looks pants, as for me to ring her from my landline, I'll need to dial
    an 0844 number (ie so-called 'lo-call'!! rates) and then enter her ID
    number. Anyone know anything about this system?

    I personally use a sipgate system (sometimes) which gives me an ordinary
    geographic number for incoming calls, so I'd rather set her up with
    that, especially as my ordinary landline gives me free calls to
    geographic numbers. However, I'm guessing that if the uni is plugging
    this freewire thing, most other campus users will be on that, so to
    obtain free calls to them she'll need to stick with that system.

    And now she tells me that all her mates from school are using 'Skype',
    so that's a third bloody system which she'll need to keep in contact
    with them!

    Is it possible to have multiple voip providers all running at once, or
    will they conflict horribly or something? Don't know much about voip,
    TBH - any thoughts very welcome...

    David
    Lobster, Sep 16, 2009

  2. In article <u06sm.111114$2>,
    Lobster <> wrote:
    >Daughter is shortly off to uni for the first time and will be living in
    >a uni flat wired with internet.
    >
    >The Uni is plugging the use of internet telephony, and is advising the
    >use of their preferred system, 'Freewire'. Looking at its website at
    >http://www.freewiretv.com/phonefaqs.html#1 as far as I can tell this
    >looks pants, as for me to ring her from my landline, I'll need to dial
    >an 0844 number (ie so-called 'lo-call'!! rates) and then enter her ID
    >number. Anyone know anything about this system?
    >
    >I personally use a sipgate system (sometimes) which gives me an ordinary
    >geographic number for incoming calls, so I'd rather set her up with
    >that, especially as my ordinary landline gives me free calls to
    >geographic numbers. However, I'm guessing that if the uni is plugging
    >this freewire thing, most other campus users will be on that, so to
    >obtain free calls to them she'll need to stick with that system.
    >
    >And now she tells me that all her mates from school are using 'Skype',
    >so that's a third bloody system which she'll need to keep in contact
    >with them!
    >
    >Is it possible to have multiple voip providers all running at once, or
    >will they conflict horribly or something? Don't know much about voip,
    >TBH - any thoughts very welcome...

    You certianly can have multiple providers - however it may be that the
    uny has blocked/firewalled other "competing" VoIP providers - and they
    may well be able to block Skype too. Just set her up with sipgate and
    see if it's workis...

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Sep 16, 2009

  3. Lobster

    Nigel Guest

    Nigel, Sep 16, 2009
  4. Lobster

    Graham. Guest

    "Lobster" <> wrote in message
    > Daughter is shortly off to uni for the first time and will be living in a
    > uni flat wired with internet.
    >
    > The Uni is plugging the use of internet telephony, and is advising the use
    > of their preferred system, 'Freewire'. Looking at its website at
    > http://www.freewiretv.com/phonefaqs.html#1 as far as I can tell this looks
    > pants, as for me to ring her from my landline, I'll need to dial an 0844
    > number (ie so-called 'lo-call'!! rates) and then enter her ID number.
    > Anyone know anything about this system?
    >
    > I personally use a sipgate system (sometimes) which gives me an ordinary
    > geographic number for incoming calls, so I'd rather set her up with that,
    > especially as my ordinary landline gives me free calls to geographic
    > numbers. However, I'm guessing that if the uni is plugging this freewire
    > thing, most other campus users will be on that, so to obtain free calls to
    > them she'll need to stick with that system.
    >
    > And now she tells me that all her mates from school are using 'Skype', so
    > that's a third bloody system which she'll need to keep in contact with
    > them!
    >
    > Is it possible to have multiple voip providers all running at once, or
    > will they conflict horribly or something? Don't know much about voip,
    > TBH - any thoughts very welcome...
    >
    > David

    <churchhill>
    Oh yes!
    </churchhill>
    My son is going on his first academic sojourn next week, so campus
    communication has been given much thought.
    This is what we have done, I am very pleased with the result!
    First bought him a going away present, a '3 Skypephone S2'.
    £49.99 including a £10 topup which she won't actually need
    at least not for voice calling, she can use it to browse the interweb

    Now Skype is much derided in this group, and I include myself
    amongst those say its not "proper" VoIP like SIP etc.
    but for this application.

    What I have done is set up a Skype-SIP gateway called SIPtoSIS. which is
    currently
    running on a Windows computer here in the office at home (which
    tends to be on 24/7. It can remain like that, but ideally it will
    run on his own PC in his room in the Halls, port blocking permitting.

    This is what happens.
    If he wants to make a call to a mobile or landline he calls the Skype
    Gateway which effectively forwards the call as a SIP call to a free
    hosted Asterisk service called pbxes.org. This gives him a BT style
    dial-tone, he simply dials the number he wants, the outbound call
    goes through smslisto.com, (my SIP provider of choice at the moment)
    0800,0500,0808 go via a Sipgate account 'cos the aren't free on smslisto:(

    In addition I have set some single digit extensions in pbxes with call
    forwarding
    to commonly used numbers that act as speed-dials. So "1" calls my mobile
    "2" dials SWMBO's, etc.

    So the net result is he carries a phone with no credit and he can call
    landlines un the UK and many places abroad for about 1 p/m
    and UK mobiles for about 5 p/m

    And the best part is his Dad pays the bill...

    The SIPtoSIS gateway is bi-directional and it is possible for a Sipgate
    geographic number to call the Skypephone but I have decided not
    to peruse this because if there is a call in the other direction in progress
    it gets cut off.

    The whole thing sounds a bit complex, but really it isn't. I have been
    considering putting a step-by-step guide on a webpage, would you
    be interested?

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Sep 16, 2009
  5. In article <h8r3hl$p7u$>, Nigel <> wrote:
    >Hi ,
    >
    >You don't have to use the 0845 just use:-
    >0207 983 9388. which I think is just a local number.

    I know I'm going to sound like a pedantic phone nerd, but the London
    dialling code is 020, not 0207 or 0208. So you ought to write that
    number as:

    020 7983 9388

    Gordon
    (aka pedantic phone nerd)
    Gordon Henderson, Sep 16, 2009
  6. Lobster

    Jono Guest

    Gordon Henderson formulated on Wednesday :
    > In article <h8r3hl$p7u$>, Nigel <> wrote:
    >> Hi ,
    >>
    >> You don't have to use the 0845 just use:-
    >> 0207 983 9388. which I think is just a local number.

    > I know I'm going to sound like a pedantic phone nerd, but the London
    > dialling code is 020, not 0207 or 0208. So you ought to write that
    > number as:
    >
    > 020 7983 9388
    >
    > Gordon
    > (aka pedantic phone nerd)

    Much easier to always use the following format for every number:

    02079839388....afterall, you don't dial spaces!

    <grin>
    Jono, Sep 16, 2009
  7. Lobster

    Guest

    Jono <> wrote:
    > Gordon Henderson formulated on Wednesday :
    > > In article <h8r3hl$p7u$>, Nigel <> wrote:
    > >> Hi ,
    > >>
    > >> You don't have to use the 0845 just use:-
    > >> 0207 983 9388. which I think is just a local number.

    > > I know I'm going to sound like a pedantic phone nerd, but the London
    > > dialling code is 020, not 0207 or 0208. So you ought to write that
    > > number as:
    > >
    > > 020 7983 9388
    > >
    > > Gordon
    > > (aka pedantic phone nerd)

    > Much easier to always use the following format for every number:
    >
    > 02079839388....afterall, you don't dial spaces!

    You don't dial the 020 at the start if you live in London. :)

    --
    Chris Green
    , Sep 16, 2009
  8. Lobster

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <h8r272$1qq7$>, Gordon Henderson
    <> scribeth thus
    >In article <u06sm.111114$2>,
    >Lobster <> wrote:
    >>Daughter is shortly off to uni for the first time and will be living in
    >>a uni flat wired with internet.
    >>
    >>The Uni is plugging the use of internet telephony, and is advising the
    >>use of their preferred system, 'Freewire'. Looking at its website at
    >>http://www.freewiretv.com/phonefaqs.html#1 as far as I can tell this
    >>looks pants, as for me to ring her from my landline, I'll need to dial
    >>an 0844 number (ie so-called 'lo-call'!! rates) and then enter her ID
    >>number. Anyone know anything about this system?
    >>
    >>I personally use a sipgate system (sometimes) which gives me an ordinary
    >>geographic number for incoming calls, so I'd rather set her up with
    >>that, especially as my ordinary landline gives me free calls to
    >>geographic numbers. However, I'm guessing that if the uni is plugging
    >>this freewire thing, most other campus users will be on that, so to
    >>obtain free calls to them she'll need to stick with that system.
    >>
    >>And now she tells me that all her mates from school are using 'Skype',
    >>so that's a third bloody system which she'll need to keep in contact
    >>with them!
    >>
    >>Is it possible to have multiple voip providers all running at once, or
    >>will they conflict horribly or something? Don't know much about voip,
    >>TBH - any thoughts very welcome...

    >You certianly can have multiple providers - however it may be that the
    >uny has blocked/firewalled other "competing" VoIP providers - and they
    >may well be able to block Skype too. Just set her up with sipgate and
    >see if it's workis...
    >
    >Gordon

    If so then they ought to protest!!! something that students these days
    seem not to be able to do;!..
    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Sep 17, 2009
  9. Jono <> wrote:
    > Yep.

    Definitely. Is SIPtoSIS essentially something that controls a normal Skype
    client (eg fakes clicks on particular buttons)?

    Presumably it's x86/PPC only (for the Skype client; Java would be
    cross-platform) - shame, it would be neat to run it on my router.

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Sep 17, 2009
  10. Lobster

    Graham. Guest

    "Theo Markettos" <> wrote in message
    > Jono <> wrote:
    >> Yep.

    > Definitely. Is SIPtoSIS essentially something that controls a normal
    > Skype
    > client (eg fakes clicks on particular buttons)?
    >
    > Presumably it's x86/PPC only (for the Skype client; Java would be
    > cross-platform) - shame, it would be neat to run it on my router.
    >
    > Theo

    Worse than that Theo, it has to run on the same machine as the
    regular Skype client.

    I'm at Ronaldsway airport typing this, When I get home to
    Manchester I will see what I can cobble together on the Web
    by way of a step by step guide.
    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Sep 17, 2009
  11. Lobster

    Graham. Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > Graham. explained :
    >> The whole thing sounds a bit complex, but really it isn't. I have been
    >> considering putting a step-by-step guide on a webpage, would you
    >> be interested?

    > Yep.

    http://crx.netfirms.com/
    Rough draft

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Sep 18, 2009
  12. Lobster

    Nick Guest

    "Graham." <> wrote in message

    > "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > > Graham. explained :
    > >> The whole thing sounds a bit complex, but really it isn't. I have been
    > >> considering putting a step-by-step guide on a webpage, would you
    > >> be interested?

    > > Yep.

    > http://crx.netfirms.com/
    > Rough draft
    >
    > --
    > Graham.
    >
    > %Profound_observation%

    Great stuff Graham.

    One small problem, (and it might my screen resolution for webpages)
    The first graphic you've included in the guide "Manage API Control"
    overlaps the last two paragraphs following;
    "Now we have what we need this is what to do.
    Install Skype. Set up an account lets call it MySkypeGateway for this
    exercise".

    I hope I've made myself clear, and if it is my resolution at fault, could
    you please send the last two paragraphs before the "Manage API Control"
    to the NG.

    Cheers and nice work.
    Nick, Sep 19, 2009
  13. Lobster

    Roger Mills Guest

    Nick <> wrote:

    > One small problem, (and it might my screen resolution for webpages)
    > The first graphic you've included in the guide "Manage API Control"
    > overlaps the last two paragraphs following;
    > "Now we have what we need this is what to do.
    > Install Skype. Set up an account lets call it MySkypeGateway for this
    > exercise".

    Yes, I noticed the same. [I think it happened in more than one place, where
    text was covered by a screen-shot]

    I wondered whether it was browser dependent (I use Firefox) and was going to
    try it with a different browser, but haven't yet got round to it.

    It's all good stuff - albeit totally new to me - so, in addition to the nuts
    and bolts of how to set it up, I could do with a bit more explanation of
    exactly what it sets out to achieve, along the lines of . . .
    "When you want to make a call, you dial it on XXX and it gets routed via YYY
    and ZZZ and you get charged NNN"

    "When someone wants to call you, they dial XXX and it is received by YYY
    which diverts it to ZZZ so that your Skype phone rings" or whatever. [It
    sounds like there are more steps than this, but you can probably see what I
    mean. The routing may well be implicit in what has already been written, but
    it needs to be a bit more explicit for the likes of me!]
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger
    Roger Mills, Sep 19, 2009
  14. Lobster

    Graham. Guest

    "Nick" <> wrote in message

    > "Graham." <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> "Jono" <> wrote in message
    >> > Graham. explained :
    >> >
    >> > Yep.

    >> http://crx.netfirms.com/
    >> Rough draft
    >>
    >> --
    >> Graham.
    >>
    >> %Profound_observation%
    >>

    > Great stuff Graham.
    >
    > One small problem, (and it might my screen resolution for webpages)
    > The first graphic you've included in the guide "Manage API Control"
    > overlaps the last two paragraphs following;
    > "Now we have what we need this is what to do.
    > Install Skype. Set up an account lets call it MySkypeGateway for this
    > exercise".
    >
    > I hope I've made myself clear, and if it is my resolution at fault, could
    > you please send the last two paragraphs before the "Manage API Control"
    > to the NG.
    >
    > Cheers and nice work.

    Thanks Nick, it was only the most signigicant part of the whole thing,
    Sods law a suppose. I haven't done a site like this for yonks, and I'm
    using Publisher fore the first time rather than Front Page. There seems to
    be
    a limit to how much text you can type in a text box. Seems OK now and
    hope it makes more sense

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Sep 19, 2009
  15. Lobster

    Graham. Guest

    "Roger Mills" <> wrote in message
    > In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    > Nick <> wrote:
    >

    >> One small problem, (and it might my screen resolution for webpages)
    >> The first graphic you've included in the guide "Manage API Control"
    >> overlaps the last two paragraphs following;
    >> "Now we have what we need this is what to do.
    >> Install Skype. Set up an account lets call it MySkypeGateway for this
    >> exercise".
    >>

    > Yes, I noticed the same. [I think it happened in more than one place,
    > where text was covered by a screen-shot]
    >
    > I wondered whether it was browser dependent (I use Firefox) and was going
    > to try it with a different browser, but haven't yet got round to it.
    >
    > It's all good stuff - albeit totally new to me - so, in addition to the
    > nuts and bolts of how to set it up, I could do with a bit more explanation
    > of exactly what it sets out to achieve, along the lines of . . .
    > "When you want to make a call, you dial it on XXX and it gets routed via
    > YYY and ZZZ and you get charged NNN"
    >
    > "When someone wants to call you, they dial XXX and it is received by YYY
    > which diverts it to ZZZ so that your Skype phone rings" or whatever. [It
    > sounds like there are more steps than this, but you can probably see what
    > I mean. The routing may well be implicit in what has already been written,
    > but it needs to be a bit more explicit for the likes of me!]

    I've added a couple of lines after the introduction.
    Any call to the Skype client on the gateway PC is auto-answered immediately
    with a dial tone. You simply dial the number you want.
    Incidentally, if you get to the stage that you want to test the gateway
    from a conventional Skype application on another PC or PDA,
    you don't use the normal Skype keypad, there is a smaller DTMF
    keypad selectable from a menu obtained by clicking the little arrow
    icon immediately to the right of the volume slider.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Sep 19, 2009
  16. Lobster

    Nick Guest

    "Graham." <> wrote in message

    > "Nick" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Graham." <> wrote in message
    > >>

    > >> "Jono" <> wrote in message

    been

    > >> http://crx.netfirms.com/
    > >> Rough draft
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Graham.
    > >>
    > >> %Profound_observation%
    > >>

    > > Great stuff Graham.
    > >
    > > One small problem, (and it might my screen resolution for webpages)
    > > The first graphic you've included in the guide "Manage API Control"
    > > overlaps the last two paragraphs following;
    > > "Now we have what we need this is what to do.
    > > Install Skype. Set up an account lets call it MySkypeGateway for this
    > > exercise".
    > >
    > > I hope I've made myself clear, and if it is my resolution at fault,

    could
    > > you please send the last two paragraphs before the "Manage API Control"
    > > to the NG.
    > >
    > > Cheers and nice work.

    > Thanks Nick, it was only the most signigicant part of the whole thing,
    > Sods law a suppose. I haven't done a site like this for yonks, and I'm
    > using Publisher fore the first time rather than Front Page. There seems to
    > be
    > a limit to how much text you can type in a text box. Seems OK now and
    > hope it makes more sense
    >
    > --
    > Graham.
    >
    > %Profound_observation%

    Thanks for doing the update, but still experiencing some overlapping.
    However, this IS browser dependant, i.e. Firefox.
    I fired up an old machine and viewed the site with MicroShaft, all is
    presented fine.
    Nick, Sep 20, 2009
  17. Lobster

    Lobster Guest

    Siemens S685IP handset - configuring a pause (was: Re: Using multipleVOIP providers?)

    Nigel wrote:

    > You don't have to use the 0845 just use:-
    > 0207 983 9388. which I think is just a local number.

    Thanks for all the replies - very helpful. Due to the availability of a
    geographic number, in the interests of time and not overcomplicating
    matters in Fresher's Week we decided to go with the default 'freewire'
    option (when she finally gets round to getting her net access
    authorised, we'll find out if it works...)

    Follow-up question...!

    Anyone know if it's possible to configure a pause into my Siemens S685IP
    (S68H) voip handset? I need to be able to save a long freewire account
    number to be dialled after the landline number, for this system to be
    viable in practice. No mention of this facility in the phone's
    instructions, and google ain't helping either.

    Thanks
    David
    Lobster, Sep 22, 2009
  18. Lobster

    Dave Saville Guest

    Re: Siemens S685IP handset - configuring a pause (was: Re: Using multiple VOIP providers?)

    On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:21:48 UTC, Lobster
    <> wrote:

    > Anyone know if it's possible to configure a pause into my Siemens S685IP
    > (S68H) voip handset? I need to be able to save a long freewire account
    > number to be dialled after the landline number, for this system to be
    > viable in practice. No mention of this facility in the phone's
    > instructions, and google ain't helping either.

    On my S45 If I hold down R it produces a P. Suspect that is pause.

    HTH
    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville
    Dave Saville, Sep 23, 2009
  19. Lobster

    Dave Saville Guest

    Re: Siemens S685IP handset - configuring a pause (was: Re: Using multiple VOIP providers?)

    On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 16:25:06 UTC, Jono <>
    wrote:

    > Dave Saville laid this down on his screen :
    > > On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:21:48 UTC, Lobster
    > > <> wrote:
    > >

    > >> Anyone know if it's possible to configure a pause into my Siemens S685IP
    > >> (S68H) voip handset? I need to be able to save a long freewire account
    > >> number to be dialled after the landline number, for this system to be
    > >> viable in practice. No mention of this facility in the phone's
    > >> instructions, and google ain't helping either.

    > > On my S45 If I hold down R it produces a P. Suspect that is pause.
    > >
    > > HTH

    > I don't have one ot hand....but that could easily be a P for Pulse...

    No - I am sure I have used it to pause.

    --
    Regards
    Dave Saville
    Dave Saville, Sep 23, 2009
  20. Lobster

    Lobster Guest

    Dave Saville wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:21:48 UTC, Lobster
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> Anyone know if it's possible to configure a pause into my Siemens S685IP
    >> (S68H) voip handset? I need to be able to save a long freewire account
    >> number to be dialled after the landline number, for this system to be
    >> viable in practice. No mention of this facility in the phone's
    >> instructions, and google ain't helping either.

    > On my S45 If I hold down R it produces a P. Suspect that is pause.

    It certainly is - excellent! (WTF isn't that documented in the
    extensive user manual, or even on the Siemens website as far as I can
    see?!)

    Now working a treat.

    Thanks
    David