    in windows XP to import pictures from a canon ixy digital 320 camera.
    preferably without having to use the canon zoombrowser software (a photo
    editor that came with the camera and is awkward to use). many thanks

    jw 1111, Oct 3, 2005

  2. jw 1111

    Trax Guest

    "jw 1111" <> wrote:

    |>hi, could you please explain how to activate the necessary windows software
    |>in windows XP to import pictures from a canon ixy digital 320 camera.
    |>preferably without having to use the canon zoombrowser software (a photo
    |>editor that came with the camera and is awkward to use). many thanks

    Just connect the camera to your system and use windows explorer to
    move them somewhere else.

    To edit or view them any graphics program will work, try Irfan
    http://www.irfanview.com/

    --
    http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/05/10/02/1612238.shtml?tid=188&tid=17

    Trax, Oct 3, 2005

  3. jw 1111

    jw 1111 Guest

    "Trax" <> wrote in message
    > "jw 1111" <> wrote:
    >
    > |>hi, could you please explain how to activate the necessary windows
    > software
    > |>in windows XP to import pictures from a canon ixy digital 320 camera.
    > |>preferably without having to use the canon zoombrowser software (a photo
    > |>editor that came with the camera and is awkward to use). many thanks
    >
    > Just connect the camera to your system and use windows explorer to
    > move them somewhere else.
    >
    > To edit or view them any graphics program will work, try Irfan
    > http://www.irfanview.com/
    > http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/05/10/02/1612238.shtml?tid=188&tid=17

    Just connect the camera to your system and use windows explorer to
    move them somewhere else. thanks but what is it i am moving please?

    I have now installed irfan, but it does not recognise that the camera is
    there. any further advice for a novice please. thanks

    jw 1111, Oct 3, 2005
  4. jw 1111

    Trax Guest

    "jw 1111" <> wrote:

    |>"Trax" <> wrote in message

    |>> software
    |>>
    |>> Just connect the camera to your system and use windows explorer to
    |>> move them somewhere else.
    |>>
    |>> To edit or view them any graphics program will work, try Irfan
    |>> http://www.irfanview.com/

    |>Just connect the camera to your system and use windows explorer to
    |>move them somewhere else. thanks but what is it i am moving please?

    |>I have now installed irfan, but it does not recognise that the camera is
    |>there. any further advice for a novice please. thanks

    Connect the camera, your OS will "ding" turn on the camera select PC
    as storage (or whatever it's called for your camera).

    Open Windows explorer, go to the new drive that is now shown and find
    your Pix's, hit Contol+A (to select them all) then move them where
    ever you want.

    My Mom is having a real problem with this, and I am creating a BAT
    file for her - she plugs in the camera (sets it up) then clicks on an
    icon, the Pix's will then be transferred to a directory of the days
    date - I could send it your way when I'm done, if you want.

    Irfanview is as mention'd is just a graphic viewer, it won't transfer
    your files - you could use the open command to get to your Pix's, just
    like with explorer.

    Side note:
    As for editing your Pix, PhotoShop is very good for this but spendy;
    an alternate is Gimp http://www.gimp.org/ It has support for USB
    cameras but I can't find if your's is included.

    --
    http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/AYB2.swf

    Trax, Oct 3, 2005
  5. jw 1111

    TJ Guest

    In news:,
    Trax <> typed:

    > "jw 1111" <> wrote:
    >

    >>> "Trax" <> wrote in message

    >>> Just connect the camera to your system and use windows explorer to
    >>> move them somewhere else. thanks but what is it i am moving
    >>> please?

    >>> I have now installed irfan, but it does not recognise that the
    >>> camera is there. any further advice for a novice please. thanks

    > Connect the camera, your OS will "ding" turn on the camera select PC
    > as storage (or whatever it's called for your camera).
    >
    > Open Windows explorer, go to the new drive that is now shown and find
    > your Pix's, hit Contol+A (to select them all) then move them where
    > ever you want.
    >
    > My Mom is having a real problem with this, and I am creating a BAT
    > file for her - she plugs in the camera (sets it up) then clicks on an
    > icon, the Pix's will then be transferred to a directory of the days
    > date - I could send it your way when I'm done, if you want.
    >
    > Irfanview is as mention'd is just a graphic viewer, it won't transfer
    > your files - you could use the open command to get to your Pix's, just
    > like with explorer.

    Wrong. Irfanview will most certainly "aquire" pictures from a digital
    camera, or pretty much any other imaging device you have including webcams.
    I use it all the time. Plug the cam in. Open Irfanview, go to File and hit
    "Select Twain Source". > Choose the appropriate device. > Back to File >
    Aquire/Batch Scanning. > Follow the prompts.

    TJ, Oct 3, 2005
  6. jw 1111

    jw 1111 Guest

    "TJ" <> wrote in message
    > In news:,
    > Trax <> typed:

    >> Connect the camera, your OS will "ding" turn on the camera select PC
    >> as storage (or whatever it's called for your camera).
    >>
    >> Open Windows explorer, go to the new drive that is now shown and find
    >> your Pix's, hit Contol+A (to select them all) then move them where
    >> ever you want.
    >>
    >> My Mom is having a real problem with this, and I am creating a BAT
    >> file for her - she plugs in the camera (sets it up) then clicks on an
    >> icon, the Pix's will then be transferred to a directory of the days
    >> date - I could send it your way when I'm done, if you want.
    >>
    >> Irfanview is as mention'd is just a graphic viewer, it won't transfer
    >> your files - you could use the open command to get to your Pix's, just
    >> like with explorer.

    > Wrong. Irfanview will most certainly "aquire" pictures from a digital
    > camera, or pretty much any other imaging device you have including
    > webcams. I use it all the time. Plug the cam in. Open Irfanview, go to
    > File and hit "Select Twain Source". > Choose the appropriate device. >
    > Back to File > Aquire/Batch Scanning. > Follow the prompts.

    many thanks to all. i dont know if its the fact that its a camera made for
    the japanese market; but after the 'acquire batch' option in irfan; the
    pictures refuse to download into irfan....sigh

    jw 1111, Oct 4, 2005
  7. jw 1111

    Sunny Guest

    "jw 1111" <> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > many thanks to all. i dont know if its the fact that its a camera made
    > for the japanese market; but after the 'acquire batch' option in irfan;
    > the pictures refuse to download into irfan....sigh

    The time has probably come to invest in a usb card reader.
    (get one that reads multiple cards)
    When plugged in it becomes a "removable drive", and you copy/past your pics
    anywhere you want.

    Sunny, Oct 4, 2005
  8. jw 1111

    TJ Guest

    In news:dAp0f.13544$,
    jw 1111 <> typed:

    > "TJ" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:,
    >> Trax <> typed:

    >>> Connect the camera, your OS will "ding" turn on the camera select PC
    >>> as storage (or whatever it's called for your camera).
    >>>
    >>> Open Windows explorer, go to the new drive that is now shown and
    >>> find your Pix's, hit Contol+A (to select them all) then move them
    >>> where ever you want.
    >>>
    >>> My Mom is having a real problem with this, and I am creating a BAT
    >>> file for her - she plugs in the camera (sets it up) then clicks on
    >>> an icon, the Pix's will then be transferred to a directory of the
    >>> days date - I could send it your way when I'm done, if you want.
    >>>
    >>> Irfanview is as mention'd is just a graphic viewer, it won't
    >>> transfer your files - you could use the open command to get to your
    >>> Pix's, just like with explorer.

    >> Wrong. Irfanview will most certainly "aquire" pictures from a
    >> digital camera, or pretty much any other imaging device you have
    >> including webcams. I use it all the time. Plug the cam in. Open
    >> Irfanview, go to File and hit "Select Twain Source". > Choose the
    >> appropriate device. > Back to File > Aquire/Batch Scanning. > Follow
    >> the prompts.

    > many thanks to all. i dont know if its the fact that its a camera
    > made for the japanese market;

    Shouldn't have anything to do with it.

    > but after the 'acquire batch' option in
    > irfan; the pictures refuse to download into irfan....sigh

    Well they wouldn't, "download into Irfanview". They would get placed in
    whatever folder you chose during the initial "Aquire/Batch - Setup" You did
    *do* that, right? That (Setup) would be the first prompt you get after
    selecting "Aquire/Batch Scanning". Assuming there is more than one picture
    to be saved, you would have changed the setup from the default "single
    image" to "multiple images". On the same screen you would also have
    selected which folder to place the pictures in, along with what output type
    (.jpg, .tiff etc.) and filename\starting number to use for that particular
    batch.

    Once that's done, you hit OK, and all the pictures in the cam should be
    displayed on the screen. At this point you would select which ones you want
    by holding down the Ctrl-key and clicking them individually. When selected,
    the image(s) get a border. (If you want them all, hold down the Shift-key,
    click the first and the last, and let the Shift Key go.

    Obviously both your machine and Irfanview recognize the fact that your
    camera exists, otherwise you would have never gotten past the "Select Twain
    Source" part.

    What do you mean by, "the pictures refuse to download into Irfanview"?
    What happens? Does Irfanview display them at all? Do you get any sort of
    Error message when you hit the "Copy" button?

    TJ, Oct 4, 2005
  9. jw 1111

    jw 1111 Guest

    "TJ" <> wrote in message
    > In news:dAp0f.13544$,
    > jw 1111 <> typed:
    >
    >> "TJ" <> wrote in message
    >>> In news:,
    >>> Trax <> typed:

    >>> Wrong. Irfanview will most certainly "aquire" pictures from a
    >>> digital camera, or pretty much any other imaging device you have
    >>> including webcams. I use it all the time. Plug the cam in. Open
    >>> Irfanview, go to File and hit "Select Twain Source". > Choose the
    >>> appropriate device. > Back to File > Aquire/Batch Scanning. > Follow
    >>> the prompts.

    >> many thanks to all. i dont know if its the fact that its a camera
    >> made for the japanese market;

    > Shouldn't have anything to do with it.
    >
    >> but after the 'acquire batch' option in
    >> irfan; the pictures refuse to download into irfan....sigh

    > Well they wouldn't, "download into Irfanview". They would get placed in
    > whatever folder you chose during the initial "Aquire/Batch - Setup" You
    > did *do* that, right? That (Setup) would be the first prompt you get
    > after selecting "Aquire/Batch Scanning". Assuming there is more than one
    > picture to be saved, you would have changed the setup from the default
    > "single image" to "multiple images". On the same screen you would also
    > have selected which folder to place the pictures in, along with what
    > output type (.jpg, .tiff etc.) and filename\starting number to use for
    > that particular batch.
    >
    > Once that's done, you hit OK, and all the pictures in the cam should be
    > displayed on the screen. At this point you would select which ones you
    > want by holding down the Ctrl-key and clicking them individually. When
    > selected, the image(s) get a border. (If you want them all, hold down the
    > Shift-key, click the first and the last, and let the Shift Key go.
    >
    > Obviously both your machine and Irfanview recognize the fact that your
    > camera exists, otherwise you would have never gotten past the "Select
    > Twain Source" part.
    >
    > What do you mean by, "the pictures refuse to download into Irfanview"?
    > What happens? Does Irfanview display them at all? Do you get any sort of
    > Error message when you hit the "Copy" button?

    very many thanks to all for your kind efforts. have now got photos installed
    on desktop via irfanview.

    someone suggested the easiest way is to get a 'card reader' to download
    photos to the pc. i've seen one on the amazon site. caters for 15 differnet
    types of cards, m3, phone cards etc, etc. costs £16 GBP. also this person
    said that any of the quality of the original photos in not lost in the
    transfer to the pc. sigh...so much to learn. are these card readers the way
    to go? what are the advantages? thanks

    jw 1111, Oct 4, 2005
  10. jw 1111

    Trax Guest

    "jw 1111" <> wrote:

    |>someone suggested the easiest way is to get a 'card reader' to download
    |>photos to the pc. i've seen one on the amazon site. caters for 15 differnet
    |>types of cards, m3, phone cards etc, etc. costs £16 GBP. also this person
    |>said that any of the quality of the original photos in not lost in the
    |>transfer to the pc. sigh...so much to learn. are these card readers the way
    |>to go? what are the advantages? thanks

    I use one, just easier. I use it for both my camera and phone.

    --
    Ever wonder what the rest of the world is searching for?
    http://tinyurl.com/6ow99

    Trax, Oct 4, 2005