Using Laptop/Internet in the USA ??

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.., Apr 27, 2006.

  1. On 27 Apr 2006 13:53:49 -0700, wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >One of our staff is travelling to the USA for a few months and wants to
    >be able to use the internet on his laptop while he is over there.
    >
    >He just has an internal 56k modem so I assume will need a NZ-US phone
    >adaptor jack at least.
    >
    >Are there any reliable, reasonably-priced US ISPs that can be
    >setup/configured from NZ before he goes overseas, or is there a pre-pay
    >option (like buying phone cards) for the internet in the US, or do NZ
    >ISPs offer a 'partner-programme' with any ISPs in the US?
    >
    >I haven't been able to find much information on this on the web thus
    >far. If he was only going for a week or two I'd suggest using Internet
    >Cafes etc, but given the duration of stay, and that he wants to access
    >work emails, send data backwards and forwards, and access phone
    >banking, it is probably best that he uses his own machine.
    >
    >Any and all useful advice gratefully received :)
    >
    >Many thanks...

    Where abouts in the US?
    Hotel or private home stay?

    Many hotels offer free service.

    The motel we stayed at in Anaheim couple of months ago had computers
    in the foyer for use 24/7.

    Cath

  3. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

    impossible Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > One of our staff is travelling to the USA for a few months and wants
    > be able to use the internet on his laptop while he is over there.
    >
    > He just has an internal 56k modem so I assume will need a NZ-US
    > phone
    > adaptor jack at least.
    >
    > Are there any reliable, reasonably-priced US ISPs that can be
    > setup/configured from NZ before he goes overseas, or is there a
    > pre-pay
    > option (like buying phone cards) for the internet in the US, or do
    > NZ
    > ISPs offer a 'partner-programme' with any ISPs in the US?
    >
    > I haven't been able to find much information on this on the web thus
    > far. If he was only going for a week or two I'd suggest using
    > Internet
    > Cafes etc, but given the duration of stay, and that he wants to
    > access
    > work emails, send data backwards and forwards, and access phone
    > banking, it is probably best that he uses his own machine.
    >
    > Any and all useful advice gratefully received :)
    >
    > Many thanks...

    I'd suggest just signing up with some US provider on arrival -- got to
    be cheaper, no matter what sort of plan suits, and there are plenty to
    choose from. I wouldn't worry about installation hassles with
    dialup -- you can get it done almost anywhere these days inside of 2
    minutes. All the usual caveats apply -- read the fine print, etc.

    Here's one all-purpose link to check that lets you select ISPs based
    on location:
    http://www.thelist.com/

    ....and a couple of "big name" dialup providers to consider:

    NetZero
    http://www.netzero.net/

    EarthLink
    http://www.earthlink.net/

    Depending on accomodations, length of stay, and of course budget,
    there are also cable-tv /broadband packages that might be of interest.
    But in terms of dial-up, this should get you started.
    impossible, Apr 27, 2006
  4. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

    EMB Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > One of our staff is travelling to the USA for a few months and wants to
    > be able to use the internet on his laptop while he is over there.
    >
    > He just has an internal 56k modem so I assume will need a NZ-US phone
    > adaptor jack at least.
    >
    > Are there any reliable, reasonably-priced US ISPs that can be
    > setup/configured from NZ before he goes overseas, or is there a pre-pay
    > option (like buying phone cards) for the internet in the US, or do NZ
    > ISPs offer a 'partner-programme' with any ISPs in the US?
    >
    > I haven't been able to find much information on this on the web thus
    > far. If he was only going for a week or two I'd suggest using Internet
    > Cafes etc, but given the duration of stay, and that he wants to access
    > work emails, send data backwards and forwards, and access phone
    > banking, it is probably best that he uses his own machine.
    >
    > Any and all useful advice gratefully received :)

    Ihug offer a global roaming product.
    http://www.ihug.co.nz/business/global/index.htm
    But the cost is pretty high.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Apr 27, 2006
  5. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

    shannon Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > One of our staff is travelling to the USA for a few months and wants to
    > be able to use the internet on his laptop while he is over there.
    >
    > He just has an internal 56k modem so I assume will need a NZ-US phone
    > adaptor jack at least.
    >
    > Are there any reliable, reasonably-priced US ISPs that can be
    > setup/configured from NZ before he goes overseas, or is there a pre-pay
    > option (like buying phone cards) for the internet in the US, or do NZ
    > ISPs offer a 'partner-programme' with any ISPs in the US?
    >
    > I haven't been able to find much information on this on the web thus
    > far. If he was only going for a week or two I'd suggest using Internet
    > Cafes etc, but given the duration of stay, and that he wants to access
    > work emails, send data backwards and forwards, and access phone
    > banking, it is probably best that he uses his own machine.
    >
    > Any and all useful advice gratefully received :)
    >
    > Many thanks...

    The plug on his internal modem is a US plug, he just needs to pick up a
    cord there. Cute retractable cords are available.
    xtra has a global roaming product with local phone access in the US
    http://www.xtra.co.nz/products/0,,5791,00.html
    so do several other isps
    eg http://www.ihug.co.nz/business/global/index.htm
    Check with your isp if they offer that option.
    or AT&T have a global product.
    He should get a wifi card for his laptop, wifi is available in more
    places than a phone connection.
    You can use gmail or your isps web interface to send email. A wifi
    connection usually won't let you send email through your usual mail
    client settings.
    shannon, Apr 27, 2006
  6. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

    EMB Guest

    shannon wrote:

    > You can use gmail or your isps web interface to send email. A wifi
    > connection usually won't let you send email through your usual mail
    > client settings.

    Ihug allow smtp auth thru their server from any net connection.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Apr 27, 2006
  7. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

    shannon Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > shannon wrote:
    >
    >> You can use gmail or your isps web interface to send email. A wifi
    >> connection usually won't let you send email through your usual mail
    >> client settings.

    > Ihug allow smtp auth thru their server from any net connection.

    Handy to know, it doesn't work for paradise on citylink so the using a
    webmail interface is a useful workaround to pass on to a potential n00b :)
    shannon, Apr 27, 2006
  8. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

    impossible Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >
    > Ihug offer a global roaming product.
    > http://www.ihug.co.nz/business/global/index.htm
    > But the cost is pretty high.

    $7.95 /hour!!!? I'd say.

    A more typical US dial-up rate would be US$9.95-12.95 / month, with
    unlimited access and 1Gb email space.
    impossible, Apr 28, 2006
  9. wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > One of our staff is travelling to the USA for a few months and wants to
    > be able to use the internet on his laptop while he is over there.
    >
    > He just has an internal 56k modem so I assume will need a NZ-US phone
    > adaptor jack at least.
    >
    > Are there any reliable, reasonably-priced US ISPs that can be
    > setup/configured from NZ before he goes overseas, or is there a pre-pay
    > option (like buying phone cards) for the internet in the US, or do NZ
    > ISPs offer a 'partner-programme' with any ISPs in the US?
    >
    > I haven't been able to find much information on this on the web thus
    > far. If he was only going for a week or two I'd suggest using Internet
    > Cafes etc, but given the duration of stay, and that he wants to access
    > work emails, send data backwards and forwards, and access phone
    > banking, it is probably best that he uses his own machine.
    >
    > Any and all useful advice gratefully received :)
    >
    > Many thanks...

    Wifi connection, very available in most US cities, even free in a lot of places

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    Collector»NZ, Apr 28, 2006
  10. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

    shannon Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "EMB" <> wrote in message
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> Ihug offer a global roaming product.
    >> http://www.ihug.co.nz/business/global/index.htm
    >> But the cost is pretty high.
    >>

    > $7.95 /hour!!!? I'd say.
    >
    > A more typical US dial-up rate would be US$9.95-12.95 / month, with
    > unlimited access and 1Gb email space.

    $7.95 per month or even free,

    http://www.qwickconnect.net/

    http://www.getnetscape.com/compareplans.adp

    http://www.freedomlist.com/find.php3?country=166

    but watch out for those hotel phone charges, you still might be better
    off with wifi

    http://www.ezgoal.com/hotspots/
    shannon, Apr 28, 2006
  11. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

    impossible Guest

    "shannon" <> wrote in message

    > but watch out for those hotel phone charges, you still might be
    > better off with wifi
    >
    > http://www.ezgoal.com/hotspots/

    Good point -- I was assuming that a hotel was not in the cards for a
    stay of "a few months ", but I might be wrong about that. In any case,
    I also think that a wifi card is a good idea for any traveler
    nowadays, but beware of the limitations -- even in the US, where
    hot-spots are pretty common, they're still just spots here and there
    across an awfully big landscape, and none of them may turn out to be a
    convenient play for someone to go.
    impossible, Apr 28, 2006
  12. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

    smf Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > One of our staff is travelling to the USA for a few months and wants to
    > be able to use the internet on his laptop while he is over there.
    >
    > He just has an internal 56k modem so I assume will need a NZ-US phone
    > adaptor jack at least.
    >
    > Are there any reliable, reasonably-priced US ISPs that can be
    > setup/configured from NZ before he goes overseas, or is there a pre-pay
    > option (like buying phone cards) for the internet in the US, or do NZ
    > ISPs offer a 'partner-programme' with any ISPs in the US?
    >
    > I haven't been able to find much information on this on the web thus
    > far. If he was only going for a week or two I'd suggest using Internet
    > Cafes etc, but given the duration of stay, and that he wants to access
    > work emails, send data backwards and forwards, and access phone
    > banking, it is probably best that he uses his own machine.
    >
    > Any and all useful advice gratefully received :)
    >
    > Many thanks...

    when I was there last year I didn't need to sign up to any provider -
    wifi access points are often wide open in the cities - good if you are
    only doing a bit of non-private emails and surfing .......
    when I wanted to access my bank account I vpn'ed into my personal
    machine at home for security ... depends where your employee is going to
    be based. I was on the west coast (pacific coast highway) from San Fran
    to Seattle - never had a problem finding open access points

    2c
    Sue
    smf, Apr 28, 2006
  13. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

    Dave Taylor Guest

    wrote in news:1146171229.656748.150540
    @j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Any and all useful advice gratefully received :)

    AT and T Global dialer. The software works great, you tell it the city, it
    picks the number.

    http://download.att.net/

    As far as adapter goes, a USA cable looks like the modem end of a NZ one at
    BOTH ends.
    When you go to europe, well, one of the places I supported had a bag full
    of adapters as each country has different plugs and voltages too.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Apr 28, 2006
  14. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

    s.te.v.e. Guest

    wrote:

    > He just has an internal 56k modem so I assume will need a NZ-US phone
    > adaptor jack at least.
    >
    > Are there any reliable, reasonably-priced US ISPs that can be
    > setup/configured from NZ before he goes overseas, or is there a pre-pay
    > option (like buying phone cards) for the internet in the US, or do NZ
    > ISPs offer a 'partner-programme' with any ISPs in the US?

    AT&T Internet service.

    Get the account here....and use it all over the world.
    s.te.v.e., Apr 30, 2006
  15. On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 23:38:05 +1200, "s.te.v.e."
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> He just has an internal 56k modem so I assume will need a NZ-US phone
    >> adaptor jack at least.
    >>
    >> Are there any reliable, reasonably-priced US ISPs that can be
    >> setup/configured from NZ before he goes overseas, or is there a pre-pay
    >> option (like buying phone cards) for the internet in the US, or do NZ
    >> ISPs offer a 'partner-programme' with any ISPs in the US?
    >>

    >AT&T Internet service.
    >
    >Get the account here....and use it all over the world.

    Yeah, most of the time AT&T require a minimum service period like one
    year.
    Frankly they are not the cheapest either and not the best for service
    should you need it.

    Plus add to that their service may not cover everywhere you want to
    go.

    Cath
    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.., Apr 30, 2006
  16. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.. wrote:

    >Yeah, most of the time AT&T require a minimum service period like one
    >year.
    >Frankly they are not the cheapest either and not the best for service
    >should you need it.
    >
    >Plus add to that their service may not cover everywhere you want to
    >go.

    AT&T Global's roaming is probably the best in the world. They run over 2400
    dial nodes in 59 countries. For another 90 or so countries, they have deals
    with local ISPs.

    Go here for the AT&T POP list. You can link to the extended POP page from
    there.

    http://aboutus.attbusiness.net/index.cfm?nav_id=1993

    The smart way to use AT&T is to get a corporate (usage based) account.
    You don't need to be a business to do it, either. They charge you NZ$2
    (plus GST) per month per email account, and about NZ$2 per hour dialup.
    (They offer ADSL and other high-speed connections, too.) I don't think
    there is a minimum service period though I could be wrong, it's a long
    time since I signed up.

    While it would be expensive if it were your only ISP, the trick is to get a
    corporate account and then access it from your usual ISP. For example, I'm
    on Telstra cable. AT&T don't offer a connection to themselves from Telstra
    cable, but I access their mail server (and its web based mail reader /
    filter manager) just fine. I only dial in to AT&T when I'm out of the
    country. There's a roaming surcharge for dialup, but since I rarely use it
    (and it's a business expense when I do) it's not a problem. In theory, I
    could use an Internet cafe to access a NZ ISP but I don't feel comfortable
    passing my business dealings through an inet cafe.

    And there's no messing about with credit cards, they send me a bill every
    month. I have 4 email accounts, so my bill is usually $9 (incl GST) per
    month.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    Don Hills, May 1, 2006
  17. texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom..

    impossible Guest

    "Don Hills" <> wrote in message

    > The smart way to use AT&T is to get a corporate (usage based)
    > account.
    > You don't need to be a business to do it, either. They charge you
    > NZ$2
    > (plus GST) per month per email account, and about NZ$2 per hour
    > dialup.

    $2 / hour for dialup is a ridiculously high amount for someone to pay
    in the US. And $2 /month per email account is even more ridiculous.

    > While it would be expensive if it were your only ISP, the trick is
    > to get a
    > corporate account and then access it from your usual ISP. For
    > example, I'm
    > on Telstra cable. AT&T don't offer a connection to themselves from
    > Telstra
    > cable, but I access their mail server (and its web based mail reader
    > /
    > filter manager) just fine. I only dial in to AT&T when I'm out of
    > the
    > country. There's a roaming surcharge for dialup, but since I rarely
    > use it
    > (and it's a business expense when I do) it's not a problem.

    For occasional overseas travel, this service may be useful. But for
    someone who is going to be based in the US "for a few months", as the
    OP stated, then it makes more sense to take advantage of the
    well-developed market there for cheap and reliable internet service.
    impossible, May 1, 2006