    Is this true? If so then I will buy something else. I will need to use this Camera in Linux on occasion.

    Thanks,
    Tom.

    Tom, Dec 16, 2003

  2. Tom

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Tom wrote:

    > I was about to buy a Kodak, but now I hear that they are hard to use without the software. Apparently, when you plug them in they don't appear as a hard drive. There is a standard that allows devices to appear as a hard drive in any OS - does Kodak not conform to this?
    >
    > Is this true? If so then I will buy something else. I will need to use this Camera in Linux on occasion.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Tom.

    Most of the newer cameras are using that new connection method, not just
    Kodak. If you are using an older OS (pre WinXP), then you will need
    to load the Kodak Camera Connection software, but you don't need to use
    any of the other Kodak software. Since the new connection method is a
    standard, and becomming the defacto 'standard' for cameras, you will
    probably be able to get a Linux driver for it. Older Kodaks are seen as
    removeable disk drives.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 16, 2003

  3. The camera talks PTP protocol.

    Windows 9x/2000 - You need to install the software. If you are running
    Win2k SP4 (which you should be) then the software accompanying the
    camera, Easyshare 3.1, won't work. You will have to:
    - Do an 18MB web install. This is not a downloadable install - its a
    web-install only.
    - Order a $7.95 (plus shipping?) CD from Kodak for the latest
    software.

    Windows XP - No Kodak software needed as WinXP is PTP aware.

    Linux - Download libptp and gphoto.

    Lot of other cameras use the USB Mass storage device driver that is
    built into Win2k, WinXP and recent Linux distros. For Win9x, you will
    still have to install the software.

    HTH,

    Siddhartha

    Siddhartha Jain, Dec 16, 2003
  4. Ron Hunter wrote:

    > Most of the newer cameras are using that new connection method, not just
    > Kodak. If you are using an older OS (pre WinXP), then you will need to

    Any idea WHY camera companies are moving AWAY from the USB storage
    interface? It seems to be the most logical way to do it; not to mention
    it's completely cross platform.

    I was disappointed to find out my Digital Rebel doesn't just act as a
    USB storage device. I just end up pulling the CF card and using an
    external reader.

    -Z

    Zorin the Lynx, Dec 16, 2003
  5. Tom

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Does it have some sort of memory card? If so, you can use a card
    reader. Many of us find a card reader to be a better way to go than
    dealing with ANY camera software. The card reader should look just like
    another disk drive.

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, Dec 16, 2003
  6. Tom

    Tom Guest

    "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote in message news:...
    > The camera talks PTP protocol.
    >
    > Windows 9x/2000 - You need to install the software. If you are running
    > Win2k SP4 (which you should be) then the software accompanying the
    > camera, Easyshare 3.1, won't work. You will have to:
    > - Do an 18MB web install. This is not a downloadable install - its a
    > web-install only.
    > - Order a $7.95 (plus shipping?) CD from Kodak for the latest
    > software.
    >
    > Windows XP - No Kodak software needed as WinXP is PTP aware.
    >
    > Linux - Download libptp and gphoto.
    >
    > Lot of other cameras use the USB Mass storage device driver that is
    > built into Win2k, WinXP and recent Linux distros. For Win9x, you will
    > still have to install the software.

    Thanks.

    I'm using Win2K SP4 at home and Linux at work. I might switch to Linux at home as well.
    A great big web install would be very annoying.
    Sounds like the Linux situation is ok though.

    This is less of a problem for Cameras where all the memory is on the card, but I think the Kodak I'm looking at ships with internal memory.

    Tom.

    Tom, Dec 16, 2003
  7. "Tom" <> wrote in message news:<k%FDb.42667$%>...

    > This is less of a problem for Cameras where all the memory is on the
    > card, but I think the Kodak I'm looking at ships with internal memory.

    It's just 16MB internal memory. Stores about 23 images at the default
    resolution. You definitely need, atleast, a 64MB xD/SD card.

    I bought a Kodak CX6230 alongwith a 64MB SD card.

    Siddhartha Jain, Dec 16, 2003
  8. Tom

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Zorin the Lynx wrote:

    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> Most of the newer cameras are using that new connection method, not
    >> just Kodak. If you are using an older OS (pre WinXP), then you will
    >> need to

    > Any idea WHY camera companies are moving AWAY from the USB storage
    > interface? It seems to be the most logical way to do it; not to mention
    > it's completely cross platform.
    >
    > I was disappointed to find out my Digital Rebel doesn't just act as a
    > USB storage device. I just end up pulling the CF card and using an
    > external reader.
    >
    > -Z

    The Kodak reps explain that there are extra features that are handy for
    novice users, and the more computer savvy users probably just use card
    readers anyway. I tend to agree.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 16, 2003
  9. Tom

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Tom wrote:

    > "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote in message news:...
    >
    >>The camera talks PTP protocol.
    >>
    >>Windows 9x/2000 - You need to install the software. If you are running
    >>Win2k SP4 (which you should be) then the software accompanying the
    >>camera, Easyshare 3.1, won't work. You will have to:
    >>- Do an 18MB web install. This is not a downloadable install - its a
    >>web-install only.
    >>- Order a $7.95 (plus shipping?) CD from Kodak for the latest
    >>software.
    >>
    >>Windows XP - No Kodak software needed as WinXP is PTP aware.
    >>
    >>Linux - Download libptp and gphoto.
    >>
    >>Lot of other cameras use the USB Mass storage device driver that is
    >>built into Win2k, WinXP and recent Linux distros. For Win9x, you will
    >>still have to install the software.

    > Thanks.
    >
    > I'm using Win2K SP4 at home and Linux at work. I might switch to Linux at home as well.
    > A great big web install would be very annoying.
    > Sounds like the Linux situation is ok though.
    >
    > This is less of a problem for Cameras where all the memory is on the card, but I think the Kodak I'm looking at ships with internal memory.
    >
    > Tom.

    My Kodak has internal memory but I can copy pictures from the internal
    memory to a card.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 16, 2003
  10. Tom

    Charlie Guest

    I used the EasyShare software and it was fine..easy to transfer and the
    print facility in the v3.x series of ES was great. Frankly I still like the
    One Touch to Better Pictures as it did superb with our HP 3in1 and Kodak
    Ultima paper.

    However the issue for me was not being able to move or copy the files from
    within the ES software to any other place or even open them with a right
    click in say Paintshop Pro. That was strictly a personal preference. My
    wife's CX4230 and ES is the cat's meow for her an she gets great results.

    I began to feel restricted and too tied to Kodak software ..I wanted to deal
    with my image transfer and image editing with whatever tools I chose. Kodak
    ES did not relinquish control to me. So I uninstalled it and use the Dock II
    with the built in XP Camera Wizard. It works great and I can now deal with
    my image files as any other data file without ES putting up road blocks to
    that "freedom and liberty"

    --

    Charlie in Mississippi
    (driftin' blues player and gospel picker)

    Charlie, Dec 17, 2003
  11. You can copy pictures from the internal memory to the xD/SD card
    without connecting the camera to a PC? How do you do that? Which
    model?

    I don't think CX6230 lets you copy from internal memory to card.

    Siddhartha Jain, Dec 17, 2003
  12. Tom

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Siddhartha Jain wrote:

    > You can copy pictures from the internal memory to the xD/SD card
    > without connecting the camera to a PC? How do you do that? Which
    > model?
    >
    > I don't think CX6230 lets you copy from internal memory to card.
    >

    > Ron Hunter <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >>Tom wrote:

    >>>Thanks.
    >>>
    >>>I'm using Win2K SP4 at home and Linux at work. I might switch to Linux at home as well.
    >>>A great big web install would be very annoying.
    >>>Sounds like the Linux situation is ok though.
    >>>
    >>>This is less of a problem for Cameras where all the memory is on the card, but I think the Kodak I'm looking at ships with internal memory.
    >>>
    >>>Tom.
    >>>

    >>My Kodak has internal memory but I can copy pictures from the internal
    >>memory to a card.

    I have the older version of the camera with about the same features
    (DX3600), and it is NOT easy to find in the menus, but it IS there. You
    might check the manual, as a last resort.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 17, 2003
  13. A custom install of EasyShare software will allow you to install only the
    camera connection software, which will make the camera appear on the system
    as a disk. (this installs the USB PTP drivers as well as the Kodak IFS
    drivers that abstract the PTP camera into a file system on Windows)

    If you use the Microsoft WinXP built-in PTP stack you will lose some of the
    features as it does not support the entire PTP set as the Kodak drivers do.

    BTW, there are Linux PTP drivers available as well. I'm not a Linux expert
    but they are out there and we have done work with the people who wrote them
    (for example, donating cameras to the effort)

    William Jackson, Dec 18, 2003
  14. Tom

    steve wiser Guest

    Hello

    My experience is that even if you do the download it still will not work.

    Steve

    steve wiser, Dec 25, 2003