    equally if you can point me at a good web site or book or even tell me
    it is a non-starter!!

    Many thanks
    Michelle Collier-Moore, Jan 6, 2004

  2. Michelle Collier-Moore

    Guest

    On 6 Jan 2004 07:30:32 -0800,
    (Michelle Collier-Moore) wrote:

    >At home I have a standard BT telephone line and broadband. I use a
    >Draytek router and a hub running various PC's. I've been given a Cisco
    >IP phone 7960. I have no idea whether it is possible to use this to
    >make or receive telephone calls on my standard home number or the
    >implications of setting up such a system. As you can probably tell I
    >am a complete novice at VOIP and haven't a clue what to do. I'd be
    >delighted if anyone is prepared to tell me chapter and verse but
    >equally if you can point me at a good web site or book or even tell me
    >it is a non-starter!!
    >
    >Many thanks

    Save yourself the grief and put the 7960 on eBay.

    -Chris
    , Jan 7, 2004

  3. Michelle Collier-Moore

    shido Guest

    I will assist you with your VoIP journey. DONT throw it away.

    --
    Greg Merriweather
    The NuFone Network

    519-251-8225 x 3000
    IM:

    shido, Jan 10, 2004
  4. My former partner is using a similar configuration on BT. It works fine.
    With the phone you are talking about, I believe you can subscribe to
    multiple accounts.with different providers. Try a couple of the free ones
    to get get started and to play with. Free World Dialup (www.fwdnet.net) is
    one of the better ones and has one of the largest groups of subscribers.
    You can also be called for free from many cities in the US, from the UK,
    from Germany, and the Netherlands. You can also get a US number pinned to
    it as well as a UK 0870 number.

    VOIPtalk.org is something similar to FWD. You can all other subscribers of
    various VOIP services for free. You can get various UK numbers pinned to
    the number and can buy calls to regular phone numbers. It works similar to
    a prepaid calling card.

    Stu

    Stuart Friedman, Jan 25, 2004