    feedback as to how I should configure these ports to act simply as L2
    ports for the FA0/0 interface which will be the L3 port?

    Thanks

    VeeDub, Jan 21, 2007

  2. VeeDub

    Guest

    VeeDub wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have a Cisco 1841 with a HWIC-4ESW card. I have set the unit up to
    > work as expected but none of the ports on the 4ESW work. I can route to
    > the internet on FA0/0 which is the inside interface but FA0/0/0-3 which
    > represent the ports on the inbuilt switch do not work. I assumed
    > initially that these ports would act just like a switch connected to
    > FA0/0 and would need little to no configuration but it did not happen
    > this way. I have looked at trunking FA0/0, using a BVI interface (know
    > little about them) and building VLANs but nothing works. Devices
    > plugged into the 4ESW work as soon as they are connected to FA0/0 but
    > work no more when moved back to the 4ESW. Can anyone provide any
    > feedback as to how I should configure these ports to act simply as L2
    > ports for the FA0/0 interface which will be the L3 port?

    This comes from using a 16 port card in this series.

    No it's not like that at all.

    The "switch" ports look just like the ports on a 4500 or 6500,

    int vlan 1
    ip address x.x.x.x /x

    int 4esw-port-0
    switchport
    sw mode access
    sw access vlan 1
    ! above is actually default so you don't need to enter it.

    int 4esw-port-1
    switchport
    sw mode access
    sw access vlan 1

    You can have more vlans -
    Don;t know about 1800.

    r1#vlan dat
    r1(config-vlan)# vlan 2

    or maybe
    r1#conf t
    r1(config)# vlan 2

    anyway once that is done you can

    int vlan 2
    ip address x.x.y.x /x

    int 4esw-port-2
    switchport
    sw mode access
    sw access vlan 2
    ! above is actually default so you don't need to enter it.

    int 4esw-port-3
    switchport
    sw mode access
    sw access vlan 2

    I have no idea of the on board ports can be
    used as "switchports" or of they are restricted to L3.
    I guess restriced unless of course you configure bridging.

    , Jan 21, 2007