Using go daddy Hosting and need htaccess file

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by up for the game, Feb 7, 2007.

  1. Hi
    I am using godaddy to host my site and I would like to give each of
    the kids a subfolder to work with but want to keep them out of each
    other's and my folders.
    I am told that using htaccess would do the job for me but am unable to
    find a clear way to do it. Lots of examples but none specific for me
    to give it a try.
    I found some sample code but none explain what/where the
    usercode/password combination is nor where you enter it and if it can
    be changed.
    I would appreciate any first hand info.
    Thanks
    Joe

    ps here is what I could find on the godaddy support site:

    To protect a directory in your hosting account with a password, in
    that directory, create an .htaccess file that contains the following:

    AuthUserFile /home/content/l/o/g/login_name/html/.htpasswd
    AuthGroupFile /dev/null
    AuthName EnterPassword
    AuthType Basic

    require valid-user
    Where "l," "o," and "g" are the first three letters of your hosting
    login and "login_name" is your full hosting login. For example, the
    hosting login "maynard" would translate to the following path:

    /home/content/m/a/y/maynard/html/.htpasswd
    The AuthUserFile describes where the Web server looks for the
    ..htpasswd file. The .htpasswd file contains a list of users who have
    access to a protected directory and their hashed passwords. There are
    a number of tools available online to create .htpasswd files.

    ....I am not sure where to enter the usercode/password on the site.

    up for the game, Feb 7, 2007

  2. up for the game

    West Alarm Guest

    On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 23:02:07 -0500, up for the game
    <> wrote:

    >I am using godaddy to host m

    <snip>

    The control panel should have a mechanism to create .htaccess for you.
    West Alarm, Feb 7, 2007