    As there are now flash usb drives up to 4GB would it be possible to leave
    one of these plugged in to the computer and use it as RAM? Much cheaper
    than on board RAM. probably the USB is too slow I don't know. Any thoughts?

    SS, Apr 2, 2007

  2. SS

    Ingeborg Guest

    SS wrote:

    > As there are now flash usb drives up to 4GB would it be possible to
    > leave one of these plugged in to the computer and use it as RAM? Much
    > cheaper than on board RAM. probably the USB is too slow I don't know.
    > Any thoughts?

    A *very* fast USB stick does 25MB/sec. PC2100 memory does 2100MB/sec.
    PC2100 is considered slow, these days.

    Ingeborg, Apr 2, 2007

  3. SS

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 19:01:21 +0000, SS wrote:

    > As there are now flash usb drives up to 4GB would it be possible to leave
    > one of these plugged in to the computer and use it as RAM? Much cheaper
    > than on board RAM. probably the USB is too slow I don't know. Any thoughts?

    Way too slooooooooooooooooooooooooooow!

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Apr 2, 2007
  4. SS

    Flying Rat Guest

    In article <5qcQh.5757$>,
    says...
    > As there are now flash usb drives up to 4GB would it be possible to leave
    > one of these plugged in to the computer and use it as RAM? Much cheaper
    > than on board RAM. probably the USB is too slow I don't know. Any thoughts?

    Vista is supposed to have a feature which allows just that. Whether it
    works properly or not remains to be seen, and in which versions the
    feature is enabled.

    However a USB drive is designed for storage and not for use as memory.
    It is considerably slower than RAM

    FR

    Flying Rat, Apr 2, 2007
  5. SS

    SS Guest

    Rather as I suspected! Thanks 4 feedback anyway

    SS, Apr 2, 2007
  6. SS

    Victor Guest

    I would think the flash drive would "wear out" as I thought of using one for
    a swap file location but from what I could find that since the swap file is
    used constantly the flash drive would wear out since it does have a limited
    number of read and writes to it. It is a huge number but not nearly as huge
    a medium like a standard hard drive.

    Vic

    Victor, Apr 2, 2007
  7. SS

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 19:01:21 GMT, "SS" <> wrote:

    >As there are now flash usb drives up to 4GB would it be possible to leave
    >one of these plugged in to the computer and use it as RAM? Much cheaper
    >than on board RAM. probably the USB is too slow I don't know. Any thoughts?

    Flash memory is too slow and has limited read/write cycles.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
    I do not represent atheists or atheism

    Barry OGrady, Apr 3, 2007
  8. SS

    JANA Guest

    The RAM works directly with the address and data buss with the CPU. If you
    were to be able to find a way, using an external memory such as a USB memory
    stick, or USB drive would be way too slow!

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Apr 3, 2007
  9. SS

    J-McC Guest

    I seem to think I have read that the USB ram drives have a limited
    number of read/write cycles, I do not think it is very high either.
    Old EPROMS (the ones you could read/write/ modify electrically ie no
    exposure to uv light) had a very low something like 2,000 cycles which
    slowly improved a development of memory chips improved.
    Remember not that long ago a power windows 3.1 user had 16mb (4x4mb
    modules)
    Jim McC.

    J-McC, Apr 3, 2007
  10. SS

    Doug Guest

    "SS" <> wrote in message
    > As there are now flash usb drives up to 4GB would it be possible to leave
    > one of these plugged in to the computer and use it as RAM? Much cheaper
    > than on board RAM. probably the USB is too slow I don't know. Any
    > thoughts?

    Vista lets you do just that.

    Google "Ready Boost."

    Slower than 'onboard' RAM. Faster than pagefile

    Doug, Apr 3, 2007
  11. SS

    Guest

    "Doug" <> wrote:

    >"SS" <> wrote in message
    >> As there are now flash usb drives up to 4GB would it be possible to leave
    >> one of these plugged in to the computer and use it as RAM? Much cheaper
    >> than on board RAM. probably the USB is too slow I don't know. Any
    >> thoughts?

    >Vista lets you do just that.
    >
    >Google "Ready Boost."
    >
    >Slower than 'onboard' RAM. Faster than pagefile

    Well if Vista can do it....

    The op can use Ramdisk (Qsoft)
    http://users.compaqnet.be/cn021945/RAMDisk/ramdriv.htm

    and do the same thing then - would have to purchase it if they wanted
    to use the entire 4 gigs.

    I use the free Ramdisk (32megs, XP) but I use a portion of my ram, not
    a pen disk; but it could be setup that way.

    --
    A Kind of Magic
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=f9hqCCbl-2Q

    , Apr 4, 2007
  12. SS

    Doug Guest

    > "Doug" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"SS" <> wrote in message
    >>> As there are now flash usb drives up to 4GB would it be possible to
    >>> leave
    >>> one of these plugged in to the computer and use it as RAM? Much cheaper
    >>> than on board RAM. probably the USB is too slow I don't know. Any
    >>> thoughts?

    >>Vista lets you do just that.
    >>
    >>Google "Ready Boost."
    >>
    >>Slower than 'onboard' RAM. Faster than pagefile

    > Well if Vista can do it....
    >
    > The op can use Ramdisk (Qsoft)
    > http://users.compaqnet.be/cn021945/RAMDisk/ramdriv.htm
    >
    > and do the same thing then - would have to purchase it if they wanted
    > to use the entire 4 gigs.
    >
    > I use the free Ramdisk (32megs, XP) but I use a portion of my ram, not
    > a pen disk; but it could be setup that way.

    Which is exactly the opposite of what the OP was asking.

    A RAM drive uses RAM to simulate a drive.

    The OP wanted to know about using a [flash] drive as RAM.

    Your solution is to have the OP use RAM drive software in order to use a
    flash drive as a drive? Umm it already is one.

    While there is something to be said for arguing just for arguments sake it
    should at least make sense.

    Doug, Apr 4, 2007
  13. SS

    Supersano Guest

    On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 11:06:59 -0400, Doug wrote:

    > > wrote in message
    >> "Doug" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"SS" <> wrote in message

    >>>Vista lets you do just that.
    >>>
    >>>Google "Ready Boost."
    >>>
    >>>Slower than 'onboard' RAM. Faster than pagefile

    >> Well if Vista can do it....
    >>
    >> The op can use Ramdisk (Qsoft)
    >> http://users.compaqnet.be/cn021945/RAMDisk/ramdriv.htm
    >>
    >> and do the same thing then - would have to purchase it if they wanted
    >> to use the entire 4 gigs.
    >>
    >> I use the free Ramdisk (32megs, XP) but I use a portion of my ram, not
    >> a pen disk; but it could be setup that way.

    > Which is exactly the opposite of what the OP was asking.
    >
    > A RAM drive uses RAM to simulate a drive.
    >
    > The OP wanted to know about using a [flash] drive as RAM.
    >
    > Your solution is to have the OP use RAM drive software in order to use a
    > flash drive as a drive? Umm it already is one.
    >
    > While there is something to be said for arguing just for arguments sake it
    > should at least make sense.

    Maybe the OP really wanted a RamDrive.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/05/hyperos_dram_hard_drive_on_the_block/index.html

    ;-)~