    missing something? Are any of you able to download directly? It's a Canon
    1Ds running Win XP.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, May 6, 2004

  2. Bill Hilton

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:

    > My new Canon dSLR has a Firewire port but I can't seem to read directly off the
    > card to transfer images. I can only access the in-camera card with the Canon
    > software, which I don't normally use.
    >
    > I was hoping it would just show up as another disk drive and I could download
    > at Firewire speeds, but it doesn't show as a drive. Is this typical or am I
    > missing something? Are any of you able to download directly? It's a Canon
    > 1Ds running Win XP.
    >
    > Bill

    AFAIK, Canon doesn't support direct access to the flash card. They're
    protocol based.. You can choose two protocols. One is Canon's proprietary
    protocol. If you use that, you'll need the Canon supplied software
    to download images..

    You can also choose picture transfer protocol (PTP). It's supported
    by newer versions of Windows (like XP).. It will detect and download the
    images without the need for third party software.

    Best bet to access the card directly would be to buy a firewire or USB2 flash
    card reader...

    Jim Townsend, May 6, 2004

  3. Bill Hilton

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: Jim Townsend

    >You can also choose picture transfer protocol (PTP). It's supported
    >by newer versions of Windows (like XP).. It will detect and download the
    >images without the need for third party software.

    I'm using XP but the card isn't recognized by Explorer. How to I let it know
    to use this protocol.

    > Best bet to access the card directly would be to buy a firewire or USB2
    > flash card reader.

    I'm using a USB 2 reader already that takes under 4 minutes to download a 1 GB
    card, but since my laptop has Firewire too I was hoping to try that and see if
    it was faster.

    Thanks for the help.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, May 6, 2004
  4. Bill Hilton

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:

    >>From: Jim Townsend

    >>You can also choose picture transfer protocol (PTP). It's supported
    >>by newer versions of Windows (like XP).. It will detect and download the
    >>images without the need for third party software.

    > I'm using XP but the card isn't recognized by Explorer. How to I let it know
    > to use this protocol.

    I don't have the 1Ds.. Just the 10D.. But you should have the option
    of selecting protocols in the camera menu system..

    On my 10D, it's under 'Communication'. There's a choice of 'Normal'
    for Canon's proprietary protocol, and 'PTP', for Picture transfer protocol.

    If you change from normal to PTP, XP 'should' detect the camera.. If not, you
    might have to set things up in the Control Panel

    There should be an icon in Control Panel for 'Scanners and Cameras'. That
    will start a setup wizard..

    Jim Townsend, May 6, 2004
  5. Bill Hilton

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:

    >>From: Jim Townsend

    >>You can also choose picture transfer protocol (PTP). It's supported
    >>by newer versions of Windows (like XP).. It will detect and download the
    >>images without the need for third party software.

    > I'm using XP but the card isn't recognized by Explorer. How to I let it know
    > to use this protocol.

    DARN... I did some reading on this.. The 1Ds is one of the few Canon
    cameras that doesn't have PTP.. I assumed that it did since it's the top
    of the line DSLR.. I know my 10D didn't come with PTP, but gained
    the ability on a later firmware update...
    -------------

    http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/customer/macosx.html#two

    2. PTP Mode (Picture-Transfer-Protocol)
    PTP Mode is a connection method that does not require the installation
    of any digital camera drivers for camera-computer communication. Mac OS
    X supports PTP Mode as do all Canon digital cameras announced in 2003
    and 2004 to date including the PowerShot A300, A310, A60, A70, A80, SD10,
    SD100, SD110, S400, S410, S500, S50, S1 IS, G5, and Pro1 plus the EOS 10D,
    Digital Rebel and EOS-1D Mark II.

    The PowerShots S230, S45 and G3 also support PTP. However, some
    functionality with Canon Software will be impaired. Setting the
    camera communication setting to PTP (via the camera's Set-up Menu),
    will enable driver-less computer connection. When using the included
    Canon Software, please set the camera communication setting to Normal
    (via the camera's Set-up Menu). Please consult the PTP leaflet that
    came with your camera for more information. NOTE: RAW files from Canon
    digital cameras cannot be downloaded in OS X via PTP. We suggest the use
    of ImageBrowser, File Viewer Utility or an external card reader.

    Jim Townsend, May 6, 2004
  6. Bill Hilton

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: Jim Townsend

    >DARN... I did some reading on this.. The 1Ds is one of the few Canon
    >cameras that doesn't have PTP

    Thanks for your help Jim. I'll read up on it a bit and see if there's a
    workaround.

    As I said it's not a killer problem since I can download a 1 GB card in under 4
    minutes with my USB 2 reader, but I wanted to see if 1394 was faster.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, May 6, 2004
  7. Bill Hilton

    DSphotog Guest

    > As I said it's not a killer problem since I can download a 1 GB card in

    under 4
    > minutes with my USB 2 reader, but I wanted to see if 1394 was faster.
    >
    > Bill

    Bill,

    I may be wrong, but I think with USB 2 and 1394 you'll find that the speed
    limiting factor will be the speed of the card rather than the connection.

    Good luck figuring this one out.

    Best,

    DSphotog, May 7, 2004