    of what it might do my current v2-only data.

    --
    Miguel

    Miguel Guedes, Sep 19, 2007

  2. Miguel Guedes wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > Can Firefox 3 Alpha be used alongside v2 without bookmarks, password records,
    > etc, getting corrupted?
    >
    > I'd very much like to help the developers by using (IOW, testing) the new
    > version and contributing with comments and suggestions, however I'm a bit weary
    > of what it might do my current v2-only data.

    you can have as many versions of FF as you like. Just make
    sure that each one is installed into a separate directory,
    and each one has its own profile. A profile is where all
    the bookmarks, passwords, settings, etc, are kept. This
    profile is separate from the program directory.

    So, before you install 3, create a profile for 3 and to do
    that you close 2, then click on the windows start button,
    then run and enter:

    firefox.exe -p

    this will bring up the FF profile manager. Follow the
    instructions for creating a new profile, but don't start FF
    with it. When that is done, install 3 and don't use the
    default install location. Install it separete from 2.
    After its installed and you are ready to run it, you will
    get a popup asking which profile do you want to use. Of
    course, you will pick the one for 3.

    And that should be it.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Sep 19, 2007

  3. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Miguel Guedes wrote:
    >> Can Firefox 3 Alpha be used alongside v2 without bookmarks, password
    >> records,
    >> etc, getting corrupted?
    >>
    >> I'd very much like to help the developers by using (IOW, testing) the new
    >> version and contributing with comments and suggestions, however I'm a
    >> bit weary
    >> of what it might do my current v2-only data.

    > you can have as many versions of FF as you like. Just make sure that
    > each one is installed into a separate directory, and each one has its
    > own profile. A profile is where all the bookmarks, passwords, settings,
    > etc, are kept. This profile is separate from the program directory.
    >
    > So, before you install 3, create a profile for 3 and to do that you
    > close 2, then click on the windows start button, then run and enter:
    >
    > firefox.exe -p
    >
    > this will bring up the FF profile manager. Follow the instructions for
    > creating a new profile, but don't start FF with it. When that is done,
    > install 3 and don't use the default install location. Install it
    > separete from 2. After its installed and you are ready to run it, you
    > will get a popup asking which profile do you want to use. Of course,
    > you will pick the one for 3.
    >
    > And that should be it.

    Wasn't aware of the precious -p switch, which is just what I need!

    Thanks very much.

    --
    Miguel

    Miguel Guedes, Sep 19, 2007