    back to the thread. When I look at Tools, Run filters... is gray.
    Going back into Message Filters, my definition is gone.

    Can someone tell me how to fix this? TB 1.5.0.9. TIA

    Stubby, Jan 4, 2007

  2. Stubby wrote:
    > I am trying to make a filter that will reject all messages sent by MI5*
    > (any sender beginning with MI5). I enter the filter definition and go
    > back to the thread. When I look at Tools, Run filters... is gray. Going
    > back into Message Filters, my definition is gone.
    >
    > Can someone tell me how to fix this? TB 1.5.0.9. TIA

    Hmmm, okay try this.

    Highlight one of those MI5 messages, and select Message-->Create Filter
    From Message

    does that work better?

    Moz Champion (Dan), Jan 4, 2007

  3. Stubby

    Stubby Guest

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Stubby wrote:
    >> I am trying to make a filter that will reject all messages sent by
    >> MI5* (any sender beginning with MI5). I enter the filter definition
    >> and go back to the thread. When I look at Tools, Run filters... is
    >> gray. Going back into Message Filters, my definition is gone.
    >>
    >> Can someone tell me how to fix this? TB 1.5.0.9. TIA

    > Hmmm, okay try this.
    >
    > Highlight one of those MI5 messages, and select Message-->Create Filter
    > From Message
    >
    > does that work better?

    Sorry, but no. The "run filters" command on the menu is still gray.
    NB. I made the action be Mark Thread as Read rather than delete. Do
    filters work on newsgroups?

    Stubby, Jan 4, 2007
  4. Stubby wrote:

    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Stubby wrote:
    >>> I am trying to make a filter that will reject all messages sent by
    >>> MI5* (any sender beginning with MI5). I enter the filter definition
    >>> and go back to the thread. When I look at Tools, Run filters... is
    >>> gray. Going back into Message Filters, my definition is gone.
    >>>
    >>> Can someone tell me how to fix this? TB 1.5.0.9. TIA

    >> Hmmm, okay try this.
    >>
    >> Highlight one of those MI5 messages, and select Message-->Create
    >> Filter From Message
    >>
    >> does that work better?

    > Sorry, but no. The "run filters" command on the menu is still gray.
    > NB. I made the action be Mark Thread as Read rather than delete. Do
    > filters work on newsgroups?

    LOL Message filters for newsgroups dont work on extant messages, they
    only work on NEW messages. The MI5 posts you see now will not be
    affected, but any new ones will

    Moz Champion (Dan), Jan 4, 2007
  5. On 01/04/2007 11:44 AM, Stubby wrote:
    > I am trying to make a filter that will reject all messages sent by MI5*
    > (any sender beginning with MI5). I enter the filter definition and go
    > back to the thread. When I look at Tools, Run filters... is gray. Going
    > back into Message Filters, my definition is gone.
    >
    > Can someone tell me how to fix this? TB 1.5.0.9. TIA

    That shouldn't happen. I've had MI5* killfiled for at least a week.

    However, for newsgroups, new additions to the filters only affect newly
    downloaded messages. You can't "run filters" on the current messages in
    the newsgroup folder.

    Since MI5-Soon-To-Be-Straight-Jacketed likes to spam many newsgroups, a
    server-level filter will do you well.

    Try to add the new filter item but don't bother with "run filters."
    Close and re-open TB. The filter item *should* still be there.

    http://home.earthlink.net/~mumia.w.18.spam/afilter.png

    --

    Windows Vista and your freedom in conflict:
    http://www.badvista.org/

    Mumia W. (on aioe), Jan 5, 2007
  6. Stubby wrote:

    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Stubby wrote:
    >>> I am trying to make a filter that will reject all messages sent by
    >>> MI5* (any sender beginning with MI5). I enter the filter definition
    >>> and go back to the thread. When I look at Tools, Run filters... is
    >>> gray. Going back into Message Filters, my definition is gone.
    >>>
    >>> Can someone tell me how to fix this? TB 1.5.0.9. TIA

    >> Hmmm, okay try this.
    >>
    >> Highlight one of those MI5 messages, and select Message-->Create
    >> Filter From Message
    >>
    >> does that work better?

    > Sorry, but no. The "run filters" command on the menu is still gray.
    > NB. I made the action be Mark Thread as Read rather than delete. Do
    > filters work on newsgroups?

    LOL

    filters wont work on messages already received in newsgroups, they
    only work for NEW messages.
    Sorry, in testing this (for I had forgotten the newsgroup limitation
    on new) I managed to killfile myself (hey, had to test on a message
    right... and didnt want to inadvertently block important ones <g>)
    so you might see two message along this line of though <g>

    Moz Champion (Dan), Jan 5, 2007
  7. Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    You maybe able to help me with this one?

    I get an awful lot of junk through my Demon e-mail account and notice
    that most of it uses my address @*****.demon.co.uk yet in front of the @
    marker may have any combination of letters ght@ jheyd@ etc etc how can I
    set up a filter that will trash anything other than my legitimate name
    before the @ marker?

    Many thanks

    --
    Keith (Southend)
    http://www.southendweather.net

    Keith (Southend), Jan 5, 2007
  8. Stubby

    Andy Luddy Guest

    Keith (Southend) wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >
    > You maybe able to help me with this one?
    >
    > I get an awful lot of junk through my Demon e-mail account and notice
    > that most of it uses my address @*****.demon.co.uk yet in front of the @
    > marker may have any combination of letters ght@ jheyd@ etc etc how can I
    > set up a filter that will trash anything other than my legitimate name
    > before the @ marker?
    >
    > Many thanks

    For email, (and you must have an email account selected when you do
    this, because it won't work with news), I'd say: "To or CC", "doesn't
    contain", and your name (or rather, your address w/out the domain).
    However, anything that you received as a BCC would be filtered, which
    you may or may not view as a problem.

    --
    Andy Luddy
    Perform appendectomy to reply

    Andy Luddy, Jan 5, 2007
  9. Stubby

    Guest

    Keith (Southend) wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >
    > You maybe able to help me with this one?
    >
    > I get an awful lot of junk through my Demon e-mail account and notice
    > that most of it uses my address @*****.demon.co.uk yet in front of the @
    > marker may have any combination of letters ght@ jheyd@ etc etc how can I
    > set up a filter that will trash anything other than my legitimate name
    > before the @ marker?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > --
    > Keith (Southend)
    > http://www.southendweather.net
    > e-mail: kreh at southendweather dot net

    First you have to understand message filters. When creating one filter
    [lets call it Southend Weather Filter, you can have as many filters in
    that Southend as you want. And its the first filter within that group
    that will get acted on first. If the first one doesn't get triggered,
    then it goes to the next one and so one.

    Second, lets say you have only two filters named Westend Weather
    Filter and Southend Weather Filter. West is first in the list, and
    will get activated upon first, then the next one and so on.

    Next, lets say this is your email address:

    So create one filter, using From and To "contains"
    will be moved to dev.null folder.

    Then click on the + and create another one saying "doesn't contain"
    be moved to the trash later folder. You
    want it to the trash later folder so you can check them to make sure
    there is nothing there that you need.

    That would be my suggestion.

    , Jan 5, 2007
  10. wrote:
    > Keith (Southend) wrote:
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>
    >> You maybe able to help me with this one?
    >>
    >> I get an awful lot of junk through my Demon e-mail account and notice
    >> that most of it uses my address @*****.demon.co.uk yet in front of the @
    >> marker may have any combination of letters ght@ jheyd@ etc etc how can I
    >> set up a filter that will trash anything other than my legitimate name
    >> before the @ marker?
    >>
    >> Many thanks
    >>
    >> --
    >> Keith (Southend)
    >> http://www.southendweather.net
    >> e-mail: kreh at southendweather dot net

    > First you have to understand message filters. When creating one filter
    > [lets call it Southend Weather Filter, you can have as many filters in
    > that Southend as you want. And its the first filter within that group
    > that will get acted on first. If the first one doesn't get triggered,
    > then it goes to the next one and so one.
    >
    > Second, lets say you have only two filters named Westend Weather
    > Filter and Southend Weather Filter. West is first in the list, and
    > will get activated upon first, then the next one and so on.
    >
    > Next, lets say this is your email address:
    >
    > So create one filter, using From and To "contains"
    > will be moved to dev.null folder.
    >
    > Then click on the + and create another one saying "doesn't contain"
    > be moved to the trash later folder. You
    > want it to the trash later folder so you can check them to make sure
    > there is nothing there that you need.
    >
    > That would be my suggestion.

    Thank you for your replies on this, I think I've got the demon e-mail
    filtered ok now, I am sending it to the trash folder, so I can monitor
    what's getting caught, however you have explained in more detail how to
    manage these filters.

    Keith (Southend), Jan 6, 2007