    How would I go about formatting the drive without having to install
    Linux bearing in mind it's a SATA drive sitting off a PCI card plugged
    into a PC that doesn't have it's own SATA support on the motherboard?

    Craig Shore, Feb 29, 2008

  2. Craig Shore

    Jason Rumney Guest

    On 29 Feb, 09:18, Craig Shore <> wrote:

    > What i'm wondering is, is ext2ifs 100% safe (or at least as safe as
    > using NTFS under win xp) for reading and writing?

    ext2 is about as safe as VFAT. ext3 is about as safe as NTFS, as it
    has journalling added to avoid file corruption on unclean shutdown
    etc. ext3 is backwards compatible with ext2, so you can write to an
    ext3 partition using ext2, but it will need a complete fsck next time
    it is mounted as ext3 to rebuild the journal, so its only recommended
    for occasional use.

    Jason Rumney, Feb 29, 2008

  3. Craig Shore

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-02-29, Craig Shore <> wrote:

    > How would I go about formatting the drive without having to install
    > Linux bearing in mind it's a SATA drive sitting off a PCI card plugged
    > into a PC that doesn't have it's own SATA support on the motherboard?

    Gparted is the short answer.

    Grab a live CD with it on, boot up and follow the instructions on the
    screen. No problem that MB has no SATA, the PCI card does this conversion.

    The Rescue CD http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page has it on it. There is
    also a smaller live CD with it alone on it.

    The Rescue CD needs a startx command after it has booted up. Just going
    gparted does not start the window display.

    As always a partition tool is a weapon of mass data destruction. Do not use
    when tired, drunk or in a hurry. ;-)

    Gordon, Feb 29, 2008
  4. In article
    <>, Jason
    Rumney did write:

    > ext3 is backwards compatible with ext2, so you can write to an
    > ext3 partition using ext2, but it will need a complete fsck next time
    > it is mounted as ext3 to rebuild the journal ...

    Given the volume was cleanly unmounted, why would the journal contain any
    outstanding entries at all? In which case, why would you need a complete
    fsck to rebuild it?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 2, 2008
  5. Craig Shore

    Jason Rumney Guest

    On 2 Mar, 00:03, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

    > Given the volume was cleanly unmounted, why would the journal contain any
    > outstanding entries at all? In which case, why would you need a complete
    > fsck to rebuild it?

    There is no way of knowing whether the filesystem is consistent after
    an ext2 mount without doing an fsck, as the journal was not written
    to.

    Jason Rumney, Mar 2, 2008
  6. Craig Shore

    Enkidu Guest

    Jason Rumney wrote:
    > On 2 Mar, 00:03, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> Given the volume was cleanly unmounted, why would the journal contain any
    >> outstanding entries at all? In which case, why would you need a complete
    >> fsck to rebuild it?

    > There is no way of knowing whether the filesystem is consistent after
    > an ext2 mount without doing an fsck, as the journal was not written
    > to.

    If an ext2/3 filesystem is unmounted cleanly, then it is marked as such
    and doesn't need an fsck. That has nothing to do with the journal. The
    journal should be empty if an ext3 filesystem is unmounted cleanly,
    since all journal entries will be written out.

    An ext2/3 file system will be checked if it has been mounted more than a
    certain number of times, unless this is switched off. Which would be
    silly, of course.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?