    Flashguns, and secondly, if they were facing into the brolly, would this
    confuse the infra-red focus assist?

    Cheers

    Matt, Nov 15, 2004

  2. Matt

    YAG-ART Guest

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 19:31:44 -0000, "Matt" <> wrote:

    >Is it possible to use a Canon 550EX or 420EX flashgun wirelessly with a
    >studio brolly.

    You can with the 550EX, I don't know about the 420EX. You would need
    either the wireless transmitter, or a radio transmitter.

    >For example, firstly do they operate wirelessly from a 20D like the Minolta
    >Flashguns, and secondly, if they were facing into the brolly, would this
    >confuse the infra-red focus assist?

    You should be able to focus with out the assist, I never used it.

    YAG-ART, Nov 15, 2004

  3. Matt

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Matt"

    >Is it possible to use a Canon 550EX or 420EX flashgun wirelessly with a
    >studio brolly.
    >
    >For example, firstly do they operate wirelessly from a 20D

    You can fire the 550EX wirelessly (actually several banks of them with
    different lighting ratios) using the ST-E2 wireless transmitter. I have this
    and it works fine. Not sure about whether the 420EX works with the wireless
    xmitter.

    You lose a lot of light when shot into an umbrella though, that might be a
    problem.

    Bill Hilton, Nov 15, 2004
  4. Matt

    Robertwgross Guest

    Bill wrote:
    >...Not sure about whether the 420EX works with the wireless
    >xmitter.

    Canon 420EX is a wireless slave, so it can be fired from a wireless master,
    e.g. Canon STE2 or 550EX.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Nov 15, 2004
  5. Matt

    Eric Gill Guest

    dy (Bill Hilton) wrote in

    >>From: "Matt"

    >>Is it possible to use a Canon 550EX or 420EX flashgun wirelessly with
    >>a studio brolly.
    >>
    >>For example, firstly do they operate wirelessly from a 20D

    > You can fire the 550EX wirelessly (actually several banks of them with
    > different lighting ratios) using the ST-E2 wireless transmitter. I
    > have this and it works fine. Not sure about whether the 420EX works
    > with the wireless xmitter.

    Yep. Slave mode works either from the 580, 550 or STE-2.

    Trying to use radio slaves opens a whole new can of worms, though, as does
    electric eye triggers.

    > You lose a lot of light when shot into an umbrella though, that might
    > be a problem.

    What is worse is that damned ETTL, even the second version. Switching the
    flashes to manual (not possible on the 420, btw, though the ratio works) is
    the only way to fly.

    Eric Gill, Nov 15, 2004
  6. Matt

    YAG-ART Guest

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 21:34:54 GMT, Eric Gill <>
    wrote:

    > (Bill Hilton) wrote in
    >
    >>>From: "Matt"

    >>>Is it possible to use a Canon 550EX or 420EX flashgun wirelessly with
    >>>a studio brolly.
    >>>
    >>>For example, firstly do they operate wirelessly from a 20D

    >> You can fire the 550EX wirelessly (actually several banks of them with
    >> different lighting ratios) using the ST-E2 wireless transmitter. I
    >> have this and it works fine. Not sure about whether the 420EX works
    >> with the wireless xmitter.

    >Yep. Slave mode works either from the 580, 550 or STE-2.
    >
    >Trying to use radio slaves opens a whole new can of worms, though, as does
    >electric eye triggers.

    Radio triggers are quite easy to use.

    YAG-ART, Nov 15, 2004
  7. Matt

    Alan Browne Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:

    > You lose a lot of light when shot into an umbrella though, that might be a
    > problem.

    I find the larger flashes ( ca. 50 GN, [meters]) do fairly well in an umbrella.
    Say ISO 100 f/8 to f/11 with the 'brella at about 4 ft from the subject.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    -- [SI gallery]: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
    -- [SI rulz]: http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html

    Alan Browne, Nov 15, 2004
  8. Matt

    Alan Guest

    "Matt" <> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to use a Canon 550EX or 420EX flashgun wirelessly with a
    > studio brolly.
    >
    > For example, firstly do they operate wirelessly from a 20D like the

    Minolta
    > Flashguns, and secondly, if they were facing into the brolly, would this
    > confuse the infra-red focus assist?
    >
    > Cheers

    I have a 550EX and have used it with the ST-E2 wireless transmitter in a
    similar setup to what you describe.

    All works fine.

    Alan.

    Alan, Nov 16, 2004