    is it better just to add the new drive as a slave.
    Thanks
    John

    John, Nov 28, 2004

  2. John

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "John" <john.ansell**NOSE HAIR**@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    news:1Iqqd.178$...
    |I have brought a new Harddrive which came with a ATA 100 cable I wanted to
    | use this drive as a slave to my existing drive using the cable supplied
    can
    | I connect using the cable select option and has this any advantages. will
    | have to format the old drive to do this or can I just change the jumper or
    | is it better just to add the new drive as a slave.
    | Thanks
    | John

    Sure - your existing drive should be on the far end of the cable, the new
    drive on the inside connection. Both drives set to CS. No need to format the
    old drive.

    Personally, I use the master/slave setup instead - the existing drive is set
    to master, the new drive is set to slave, and it doesn't matter which
    connector is used.

    Be sure to use the new 80 wire cable if your old one is 40 wire.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 28, 2004

  3. John

    John Guest

    So do you not get any better transfer speed using cable select
    I thought you might have to use cable select to use the ultra ATA 100 mode

    John

    John, Nov 28, 2004
  4. John

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Not a bit. The ATA100 drives will not work correctly on the 40 wire cables
    though.

    | So do you not get any better transfer speed using cable select
    | I thought you might have to use cable select to use the ultra ATA 100 mode
    |
    | John
    |
    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | >
    | > "John" <john.ansell**NOSE HAIR**@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    | > |I have brought a new Harddrive which came with a ATA 100 cable I wanted
    | > | use this drive as a slave to my existing drive using the cable
    supplied
    | > can
    | > | I connect using the cable select option and has this any advantages.
    | will
    | > | have to format the old drive to do this or can I just change the
    jumper
    | or
    | > | is it better just to add the new drive as a slave.
    | > | Thanks
    | > | John
    | > |

    Toolman Tim, Nov 28, 2004
  5. John

    John Guest

    Thanks Ill Get on with it then and stick to the master / slave set up.
    thanks for your help

    John, Nov 28, 2004
  6. John

    Toolman Tim Guest

    You're welcome!

    | Thanks Ill Get on with it then and stick to the master / slave set up.
    | thanks for your help
    | John
    |

    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | > Not a bit. The ATA100 drives will not work correctly on the 40 wire
    cables
    | > though.
    | >
    | > "John" <john.ansell**NOSE HAIR**@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    | > | So do you not get any better transfer speed using cable select
    | > | I thought you might have to use cable select to use the ultra ATA 100
    | mode
    | > |
    | > | John
    | > |
    | > | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    | wanted
    | > supplied
    | > | will
    | > jumper
    | > | or
    | > | > |

    Toolman Tim, Nov 28, 2004
  7. John

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:39:25 GMT, "John" <john.ansell**NOSE HAIR**@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >I have brought a new Harddrive which came with a ATA 100 cable I wanted to
    >use this drive as a slave to my existing drive using the cable supplied can
    >I connect using the cable select option and has this any advantages. will I
    >have to format the old drive to do this or can I just change the jumper or
    >is it better just to add the new drive as a slave.

    In order for us to be able to help you need to learn to punctuate.

    >Thanks
    >John

    -Barry
    ========