Using BRI interface as backup

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Pichi, Nov 10, 2005.

  1. Pichi

    Pichi Guest

    Hello,

    I have an production router (Cisco 1721) running over ADSL. I also have
    a PIX 515e sitting behind it. The public IP of the PIX is where we have
    several public services (MX Record, HTPPS Extranet). So I am really
    tied to that IP address.

    The ADSL line very occassionaly fails for a few hours (once a year
    maybe) and so I would like to take advntage of the BRI interface on my
    1721 as a backup when the ADSL goes down.

    My question is:

    How can I setup the router to use the ISDN line as a backup and NOT
    lose all my public services tied to that public IP address?

    The config does not have to be automatic. If manual changes need to be
    done to the config that is acceptable.

    Thank you,

    Pedro Sosa
    Pichi, Nov 10, 2005

  2. Pichi

    Matty M Guest

    "Pichi" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have an production router (Cisco 1721) running over ADSL. I also have
    > a PIX 515e sitting behind it. The public IP of the PIX is where we have
    > several public services (MX Record, HTPPS Extranet). So I am really
    > tied to that IP address.
    >
    > The ADSL line very occassionaly fails for a few hours (once a year
    > maybe) and so I would like to take advntage of the BRI interface on my
    > 1721 as a backup when the ADSL goes down.
    >
    > My question is:
    >
    > How can I setup the router to use the ISDN line as a backup and NOT
    > lose all my public services tied to that public IP address?
    >
    > The config does not have to be automatic. If manual changes need to be
    > done to the config that is acceptable.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Pedro Sosa

    Will your ISP route your range of public IPs attached to the PIX over the
    ISDN? It is possible ive done it for many customers but involves a RADIUS
    change at their end and thats if they permit it.

    Cheers

    Matt
    Matty M, Nov 10, 2005

  3. Pichi

    Pichi Guest

    The ISP (Telefonica) here in Spain is awful. I could not even get them
    to agree to use a Cisco router. They gave us one of thier routers
    (Juan´s Router or something like that). So I put in the 1721 on my
    own, and for the price I pay every month I don´t expect ANY support. I
    would need to talk to about 50 people before anyone even understood
    what I am trying to do, and then they would say:

    You cant do that!

    Sorry but on this one I am alone.
    Pichi, Nov 10, 2005
  4. Pichi

    Matty M Guest

    "Pichi" <> wrote in message
    The ISP (Telefonica) here in Spain is awful. I could not even get them
    to agree to use a Cisco router. They gave us one of thier routers
    (Juan´s Router or something like that). So I put in the 1721 on my
    own, and for the price I pay every month I don´t expect ANY support. I
    would need to talk to about 50 people before anyone even understood
    what I am trying to do, and then they would say:

    You cant do that!

    Sorry but on this one I am alone.

    Hi,

    Oh dear. :( Well because when you fire up your ISDN on a different IP
    address you wont be able to route your external PIX IP addresses even for
    internet access unless they are a little bit flexible.

    If they can add

    ip:route=<your IP address range on PIX outside interface>

    on your ISDN login at their RADIUS you will be a huge leap further. Or can
    you use your ADSL login as the ISDN login?

    Cheers

    Matt
    Matty M, Nov 10, 2005
  5. Pichi

    Pichi Guest

    Matt,

    Thanks for you advice. So what you are telling me then is without thier
    (Telefonica) help I have no way of doing this on my own?

    Cheers,

    Pedro
    Pichi, Nov 11, 2005
  6. Pichi

    Matty M Guest

    "Pichi" <> wrote in message
    > Matt,
    >
    > Thanks for you advice. So what you are telling me then is without thier
    > (Telefonica) help I have no way of doing this on my own?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Pedro

    Hi,

    Yes in a way. You could manually reconfigure the IP on the PIX perhaps but
    it will require you reconfiguring things when the ADSL goes down. Bit of a
    nightmare way though.

    Cheers

    Matt
    Matty M, Nov 11, 2005