    (say) that worked well.

    Thanks,

    Alan.

    Alan, Sep 13, 2005

  2. Alan

    Shane Guest

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:18:36 +1200, Alan wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to set up my old machine (PII - 550MHz - 256 MB RAM - 6 GB
    > HDD) as a router, probably using Linux (but doesn't have to be).
    >
    > Has anyone actually done this?
    >
    > There is a stack of information on the net about it, but I am looking for
    > a recommendation from someone who has actually followed a guide (say) that
    > worked well.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alan.

    My firewall is a Pentium 200 MHz with 48 MB of RAM (its one of my faster
    machines <blush>)
    The specs you give are more than enough for most nix (including a desktop)
    Presumably this is for a home connection, therefore you wont be handling
    a huge amount of traffic, so this box is ideal
    Guides are for the weak, for simplicity most people would recommend you
    start with something like smoothwall, the next step up would be any distro
    (eg slackware, debian, suse, red hat, mandriva etc.) and write your own
    iptables script using the tutorial at www.tldp.org
    Or use a GUI firewall POS like guarddog, or firestarter
    Next step up would be OpenBSD using pf this is easy to setup once you are
    adept with something like iptables, but not really very hard ( the hard
    part is really figuring out what your nics are)

    HTH

    Shane, Sep 13, 2005

  3. Alan

    Armpit Guest

    > Guides are for the weak, for simplicity most people would recommend you
    > start with something like smoothwall, the next step up would be any distro
    > (eg slackware, debian, suse, red hat, mandriva etc.) and write your own

    Yeah, smoothwall is simple and easy to set up.
    You just write the install to a CD which it boots from.
    There are a few initial text based prompts, then its a GUI interface all
    the way.

    If you want to get a little more advanced, there are mods for stuff like
    IPSEC as well.

    Armpit, Sep 13, 2005
  4. Alan

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to set up my old machine (PII - 550MHz - 256 MB RAM - 6
    > GB HDD) as a router, probably using Linux (but doesn't have to be).
    >
    > Has anyone actually done this?
    >
    > There is a stack of information on the net about it, but I am looking
    > for a recommendation from someone who has actually followed a guide
    > (say) that worked well.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alan.

    My fireWall router is a Pentium 100 intell thingie with 64Mb ram and the
    disk is 2gig in size

    It does not have a monter or keybord I think yours would be over kill:)

    Robert Cooze, Sep 13, 2005
  5. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "Robert Cooze" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    > My fireWall router is a Pentium 100 intell thingie with 64Mb ram and
    > the disk is 2gig in size
    >
    > It does not have a monter or keybord I think yours would be over
    > kill:)

    Any hints on how you set it up?

    A step by step guide written for the really technically challenged
    perhaps?

    Alan.

    Alan, Sep 13, 2005
  6. Alan

    shannon Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > "Robert Cooze" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >
    >>My fireWall router is a Pentium 100 intell thingie with 64Mb ram and
    >>the disk is 2gig in size
    >>
    >>It does not have a monter or keybord I think yours would be over
    >>kill:)
    >>

    > Any hints on how you set it up?
    >
    > A step by step guide written for the really technically challenged
    > perhaps?
    >
    > Alan.

    I used LEAF which runs from a floppy,
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=13751&package_id=37684&release_id=158608
    it has an installation and user guide here
    http://leaf.sourceforge.net/bering/..._user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=2&MMN_position=2:2

    shannon, Sep 13, 2005
  7. Alan

    Chris Hope Guest

    Alan wrote:

    > "Robert Cooze" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >>
    >> My fireWall router is a Pentium 100 intell thingie with 64Mb ram and
    >> the disk is 2gig in size
    >>
    >> It does not have a monter or keybord I think yours would be over
    >> kill:)
    >>

    > Any hints on how you set it up?
    >
    > A step by step guide written for the really technically challenged
    > perhaps?

    If you used Smoothwall, for example, there is documentation about how to
    install it here: http://www.smoothwall.org/docs/ From a quick look at
    it the install document has screenshots of the whole install process so
    may be what you are looking for. I've never used Smoothwall myself but
    I do sell it on CD.

    Chris Hope, Sep 13, 2005
  8. Alan

    GJ Guest

    Alan wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I would like to set up my old machine (PII - 550MHz - 256 MB RAM - 6
    >GB HDD) as a router, probably using Linux (but doesn't have to be).
    >
    >Has anyone actually done this?
    >
    >There is a stack of information on the net about it, but I am looking
    >for a recommendation from someone who has actually followed a guide
    >(say) that worked well.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Alan.

    I have something similar but use SME Server http://www.contribs.org

    Is more of a Small Business Server with Router, Firewall, Mailserver,
    MySQL, Apache, PHP and lots more.

    It is not as secure as a dedicated firewall as it runs a number of
    services but it has worked really well for me.

    GJ

    GJ, Sep 13, 2005
  9. Alan

    Justin Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to set up my old machine (PII - 550MHz - 256 MB RAM - 6
    > GB HDD) as a router, probably using Linux (but doesn't have to be).
    >
    > Has anyone actually done this?
    >
    > There is a stack of information on the net about it, but I am looking
    > for a recommendation from someone who has actually followed a guide
    > (say) that worked well.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alan.

    Try IPCop (www.ipcop.org).

    Providing you understand basic networking you should be able to set one
    up in about 15-30 min.

    Also install Advanced Proxy and URL Filter and you can control where
    people can and cannot access.

    Installed this at a clients of mine and reduced excess bandwidth by
    approx 2 Gig per month saving the client $100's per month as well as
    increasing staff productivity 2 or 3 fold.

    HTH

    Justin, Sep 13, 2005
  10. Alan

    Alan Guest

    "GJ" <> wrote in message

    > I have something similar but use SME Server http://www.contribs.org
    >
    > Is more of a Small Business Server with Router, Firewall,
    > Mailserver, MySQL, Apache, PHP and lots more.
    >
    > It is not as secure as a dedicated firewall as it runs a number of
    > services but it has worked really well for me.
    >
    > GJ

    Hi GJ,

    I guess you could conceivably set this up *behind* a dedicated router
    PC which would then overcome any security reduction issues?

    I do have access to more than one old machine, but space could become
    a marital issue of course!

    Alan.

    Alan, Sep 13, 2005
  11. Alan

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Alan" <> wrote in news:4tsVe.10999$iM2.999450
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > I would like to set up my old machine (PII - 550MHz - 256 MB RAM - 6
    > GB HDD) as a router, probably using Linux (but doesn't have to be).

    IPCop, M0n0, Smoothwall are all free.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Sep 13, 2005
  12. Alan

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Alan" <> wrote in news:7gyVe.11111$iM2.1003698
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > Hi GJ,
    >
    > I guess you could conceivably set this up *behind* a dedicated router
    > PC which would then overcome any security reduction issues?
    >
    > I do have access to more than one old machine, but space could become
    > a marital issue of course!
    >
    > Alan.

    That is common. Internet to IPcop to contribs.org (SME box)

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Sep 13, 2005
  13. Alan

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <4tsVe.10999$>,
    says...

    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to set up my old machine (PII - 550MHz - 256 MB RAM - 6
    > GB HDD) as a router, probably using Linux (but doesn't have to be).
    >
    > Has anyone actually done this?
    >
    > There is a stack of information on the net about it, but I am looking
    > for a recommendation from someone who has actually followed a guide
    > (say) that worked well.

    Never understood why folk feel they need a 'seperate' box to run as a
    router, when a 2nd network card will achieve the same. @#$!@#?

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Sep 13, 2005
  14. Alan

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > "Robert Cooze" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >
    >>My fireWall router is a Pentium 100 intell thingie with 64Mb ram and
    >>the disk is 2gig in size
    >>
    >>It does not have a monter or keybord I think yours would be over
    >>kill:)
    >>

    > Any hints on how you set it up?
    >
    > A step by step guide written for the really technically challenged
    > perhaps?
    >
    > Alan.

    Fot Ip Cop its self
    http://www.ipcop.org/

    For some unoffical help pages (much better than you would think)
    http://www.ipcops.com/

    Some more serious stuff
    http://www.supporting-role.net/software/ipcop/software-list.php

    Some press about Ip COp
    http://online.securityfocus.com/infocus/1556

    Robert Cooze, Sep 13, 2005
  15. Alan

    shannon Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <4tsVe.10999$>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I would like to set up my old machine (PII - 550MHz - 256 MB RAM - 6
    >>GB HDD) as a router, probably using Linux (but doesn't have to be).
    >>
    >>Has anyone actually done this?
    >>
    >>There is a stack of information on the net about it, but I am looking
    >>for a recommendation from someone who has actually followed a guide
    >>(say) that worked well.

    > Never understood why folk feel they need a 'seperate' box to run as a
    > router, when a 2nd network card will achieve the same. @#$!@#?

    So you can turn any PC off, or reboot without disturbing other users.
    You can put the gateway box out of the way, run it diskless, fanless etc.
    There are better choices in small home routers available if you are not
    on dialup.

    shannon, Sep 13, 2005
  16. T'was the Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:48:33 +1200 when I remembered Shane
    <-a-geek.net> saying something like this:

    >Guides are for the weak

    Spoken like a true geek!
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Sep 13, 2005
  17. Alan

    EMB Guest

    shannon wrote:

    > There are better choices in small home routers available if you are not
    > on dialup.

    Although if you've got kids and want to content filter it's pretty easy
    to use something like Dansguardian running on an IPCop box (either with
    the supplied blacklists or just set up a whitelist of sites that they
    can access).

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Sep 13, 2005
  18. Alan

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:18:36 +1200, Alan wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to set up my old machine (PII - 550MHz - 256 MB RAM - 6
    > GB HDD) as a router, probably using Linux (but doesn't have to be).
    >
    > Has anyone actually done this?

    Yes.

    I used a distro of Linux called "Smoothwall" - it's designed to be a
    dedicated firewall/router. It's easy to install. I've got it working on a
    P120 and it's working very nicely indeed. It's very easy to administer.

    The only one change I made was to change how often it rotates its log
    files to weekly rather than monthly.

    Bling Bling

    --
    Windows is a bonfire, Linux is the sun. Linux only looks smaller if you lack
    perspective.

    Bling-Bling, Sep 16, 2005