    address of the router with my isp.But cannot seem to connect using the
    ethernet card.It was ok by usb.Anyone tell me where im going wrong.

    , May 12, 2004

  2. wrote:

    > Hello.I am hoping to network a laptop to a computer using a Broadband
    > wireless router. I have a cable modem which is connected to the computer by
    > usb.
    >
    > My understanding is to get the router to work i need to uninstall the usb
    > drivers and connect the Modem to the router by ethernet cable and connect
    > the router to an ethernet card in the computer.I have registered the mac
    > address of the router with my isp.But cannot seem to connect using the
    > ethernet card.It was ok by usb.Anyone tell me where im going wrong.

    So the chain is Internet > cable1 >modem > cable 2 > router
    > cable 3 > ethernet card?

    The first thing to check is that cable 3 is the correct type
    (unfortunately these cables come in 2 types, plain and
    crossover). Did this cable come with the router?

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, May 12, 2004

  3. Guest

    Yes the cable came with the router,both cables are cat5 patch cables, are
    these the corrct type ?

    , May 12, 2004
  4. wrote:

    > Yes the cable came with the router,both cables are cat5 patch cables, are
    > these the corrct type ?

    You really need to include the previous posting(s) within
    your reply to make it easier to follow for a third party (or
    even the first and second parties!).

    I can't say whether the cables are correct all not without
    details of the router. Does a light light up on the router
    when you plug the cable in? That is normally all you need as
    proof that the cable is ok, but not all routers have lights.

    Once the cable is ok, you should be able to "ping" the
    router from the pc. Normally you just open a DOS command box
    and type>

    ping x.y.z.s

    Where x.y.z.s is the router address.

    The documentation should tell you the default address for
    the router, which it should respond to.

    Many routers come with a program that you run on the PC,
    which automatically goes out and finds the router and then
    takes you into its setup.

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, May 12, 2004
  5. why? Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 13:07:22 GMT, wrote:

    >Hello.I am hoping to network a laptop to a computer using a Broadband
    >wireless router. I have a cable modem which is connected to the computer by
    >usb.

    No mention of wireless router brand/model.

    >My understanding is to get the router to work i need to uninstall the usb
    >drivers and connect the Modem to the router by ethernet cable and connect
    >the router to an ethernet card in the computer.I have registered the mac

    Not sure as you mention wireless router if the laptop is a wireless or
    wired connection.

    Right, swap from USB to Ethernet coming out of the CM.

    Is that 1 computer (laptop) or 2 (laptop and PC)?

    For 1, assuming you only have laptop and it's wireless.
    (as you mentioned) Register router MAC in selfcare, before making
    changes :)

    Note, if the laptop is wired, also register it's MAC address in
    selfcare. You may wish to make you setup a bit simpler to get it working
    without the router first. ( Connect laptop, Ethernet to CM, reboot CM ,
    reboot laptop) in this configuration the output of ipconfig/all , at a
    command prompt will be the BY settings.

    CM connected to wireless router.
    Laptop with wireless card.
    Reboot CM, to lose old connection info (may need power off for 2 minutes
    or longer)
    Reboot router.
    Reboot laptop.

    >address of the router with my isp.But cannot seem to connect using the
    >ethernet card.It was ok by usb.Anyone tell me where im going wrong.

    The Ethernet card drivers all look okay in device manager / other OS log
    files? (Didn't mention OS, guessing Win)
    After the adapter you also installed TCP/IP protocol and set the IP
    address properties to use DHCP?

    Have you checked the output of ipconfig/all? If the laptop sees the
    router the usual IP address, DNS, DHCP server will normally start with
    something like 192.168.x.y

    If you have instead,

    Laptop wired to router.
    Reboot router / reset to defauly factory settings.
    Reboot laptop.
    Can you browse to the router configuration page?
    Get that to work first.

    BY also require that the router has a name set, for example a Netgear
    RT314 on the general setup page there are 2 options -

    System Name and Domain name, the system name needs to be filled in, the
    domain name is optional. The system name can be anything within reason
    :] so 'linkby' will do.

    Also see
    http://www.by-users.co.uk/
    newsgroup
    blueyonder.users.self-help.networking

    Me

    why?, May 12, 2004
  6. Dan Shea Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 13:07:22 GMT, wrote:

    >Hello.I am hoping to network a laptop to a computer using a Broadband
    >wireless router. I have a cable modem which is connected to the computer by
    >usb.
    >
    >My understanding is to get the router to work i need to uninstall the usb
    >drivers

    Probably not.

    >and connect the Modem to the router by ethernet cable and connect
    >the router to an ethernet card in the computer.

    That should work. But what does this have to do with networking a
    laptop to another computer?

    >I have registered the mac
    >address of the router with my isp.

    Waitaminute...

    >But cannot seem to connect using the
    >ethernet card.It was ok by usb.Anyone tell me where im going wrong.

    You need to do a better job describing what you want to accomplish.
    If all you want to do is network together a laptop (presumably with a
    wireless card) and a desktop (presumably without a wireless card),
    this can be done without having anything to do with a USB cable modem.

    I suspect that what you want to do is connect both a laptop (via
    wireless) and a desktop (via cable) to a wireless router, which is
    then connected to your cable modem, so that the computers are
    networked together and both have access to the internet.

    Take the laptop out of the equation for now. It'll be easier to set
    up the wired connections first and add the wireless later. Connect
    the desktop, router, and cable modem as per the instructions that came
    with the router. What happens?

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, May 12, 2004
  7. Guest

    Hiya Dan. Sorry for not being clear.My set up is I have an ethermet card in
    my computer,which is connected to the router.The router is connected to the
    Cable modem.What i want to do is get an internet connection on the
    computer.When i achieve that i want to connect to the internet via my pcmcia
    card on the laptop.

    The problem is i cant get past the first step,which is connecting via the
    ethernet card.I am told i have to register the mac address of the router
    with Blueyonder in order for it to accept connections. I have done this,and
    left the CM off overnight as advised by someone else.But i still dont have a
    connection.I am looking for someone to help me find out ii have set up
    something wrong or missed something out.

    , May 13, 2004
  8. Dan Shea Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 09:06:46 GMT, wrote:

    >Hiya Dan. Sorry for not being clear.My set up is I have an ethermet card in
    >my computer,which is connected to the router.The router is connected to the
    >Cable modem.What i want to do is get an internet connection on the
    >computer.When i achieve that i want to connect to the internet via my pcmcia
    >card on the laptop.
    >
    >The problem is i cant get past the first step,which is connecting via the
    >ethernet card.I am told i have to register the mac address of the router
    >with Blueyonder in order for it to accept connections. I have done this,and
    >left the CM off overnight as advised by someone else.But i still dont have a
    >connection.I am looking for someone to help me find out ii have set up
    >something wrong or missed something out.

    CM -> router -> computer

    can go wrong in two places: at the connection between the modem and
    the router, and the connection between the router and the laptop.

    First things first: You can figure out whether your computer is
    connected to the router by bringing up a command prompt, and typing
    "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew". If your computer obtains a
    new IP address, then that connection should be OK. Run ipconfig /all
    and post your TCP/IP settings here. Try to ping the router: "ping
    192.168.0.1", or substitute the correct IP address of the router if it
    is something else, to ensure you have connection and the router is
    responding.

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, May 13, 2004
  9. why? Guest

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 09:06:46 GMT, wrote:

    >Hiya Dan. Sorry for not being clear.My set up is I have an ethermet card in
    >my computer,which is connected to the router.The router is connected to the
    >Cable modem.What i want to do is get an internet connection on the
    >computer.When i achieve that i want to connect to the internet via my pcmcia
    >card on the laptop.
    >
    >The problem is i cant get past the first step,which is connecting via the
    >ethernet card.I am told i have to register the mac address of the router

    Make sure you get the WAN MAC address and not the internal LAN MAC.

    >with Blueyonder in order for it to accept connections. I have done this,and
    >left the CM off overnight as advised by someone else.But i still dont have a
    >connection.I am looking for someone to help me find out ii have set up

    You still haven't said what model / brand router.

    What you need to try and get as Dan said is a PC to router connection,
    ignore the BY bit for now.

    That should work straight out of the box, either reboot or do the
    ipconfig/renew as mentioned. Your router will send some settings to the
    PC you can view those as by ipconfig/all , the settings should match the
    documented settings in the manual.

    Most routers have a setup page at http://192.168.0.1/ for my Netgear or
    http://192.168.2.245/ for a recent Belkin IIRC.

    >something wrong or missed something out.

    You mentioned cables earlier, I can't remember if the cable BY supplied
    was patch (most likely a patch) or crossover. Have you checked in the CM
    Ethernet port and the router WAN port have the link LEDs lit?

    Me

    why?, May 13, 2004