Using Aironet 1142n with Cisco 1801 Router

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by stuie_norris@yahoo.com.au, Sep 5, 2009.

  1. Guest

    Hi Group,

    I have a Cisco 1801 router the I use for wired connections on my local
    network. I would like to install a Aironet device so I have have
    wireless connections.

    I am particularly interested in the Cisco 1142n Aironet on Cisco's web
    site (AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9).

    Apart from N support the PoE suits where I would like to install the
    access point. I know I would need the AIR-PWRINJ4= for the PoE
    injector.

    Is it possible to setup the Aironet 1142n to work directly with a
    Cisco 1801 router / switch or do I need additional equipment?

    Thanks

    Stuart
    , Sep 5, 2009

  2. Uli Link Guest

    schrieb:
    > Hi Group,
    >
    > I have a Cisco 1801 router the I use for wired connections on my local
    > network. I would like to install a Aironet device so I have have
    > wireless connections.
    >
    > I am particularly interested in the Cisco 1142n Aironet on Cisco's web
    > site (AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9).
    >
    > Apart from N support the PoE suits where I would like to install the
    > access point. I know I would need the AIR-PWRINJ4= for the PoE
    > injector.
    >
    > Is it possible to setup the Aironet 1142n to work directly with a
    > Cisco 1801 router / switch or do I need additional equipment?

    For an AIR-LAPxxx you will need a Wireless LAN Controller, or get the
    AIR-APxxxx configured as autonomous IOS.

    --
    ULi
    Uli Link, Sep 5, 2009

  3. Guest

    > or get the AIR-APxxxx configured as autonomous IOS.

    How do you configure the AP as autonomous IOS?

    Do you need a Wireless LAN Controller to do this?

    Must the device be purchased in the autonomous IOS format?
    , Sep 5, 2009
  4. writes:
    >> or get the AIR-APxxxx configured as autonomous IOS.

    >How do you configure the AP as autonomous IOS?

    You obtain the autonomous IOS image from Cisco CCO if you have a
    maintenance contract, or go for google foo to find it. Then you flash
    the box with the new code.

    You'll have to get to an undocumented boot menu that has been mentioned in
    this group several times.

    >Do you need a Wireless LAN Controller to do this?

    No, if you had a wireless LAN controller, you'd probably use the LAP
    image you had.

    >Must the device be purchased in the autonomous IOS format?

    That would certainly be the easier way if thats the way you wanted to
    run it.
    Doug McIntyre, Sep 6, 2009
  5. Guest

    Hi Aaron,

    Do you know the timeframe for the autonomous IOS to be available? I
    have read on CISCOs web site that the hardware is identical between
    both variants.

    I have been searching in Oz for AIR-AP model but not one sells so
    since it has not been released - so that explains it.

    There is a online disposal centre dumping AIR-LAP variant currently at
    cheap prices so buy and up/down grade later might be an attractive
    option.

    Thanks

    Stuart
    , Sep 11, 2009