Using A Wireles Printer

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Bozena, Nov 30, 2008.

  1. Bozena

    Bozena Guest

    A friend is having a problem with her Belkin wireless router finding her
    new Brother wireless printer/scanner. The Belkin router is the new "n"
    standard. The printer specs say it supports the "b" and "g" standard. Is
    it possible that this printer will only connect if we throttle down her router
    to "g". Does the "n" standard cause a compatibility problem?

    Thanks!
    Scott
     
    Bozena, Nov 30, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Bozena

    GTS Guest

    Maybe it's just a misstatement but when you say "router finding her new
    Brother wireless printer" do you mean printer finding the router? Are you
    scanning for wireless connections from the printer per installation
    instructions? The connection isn't automatic.
    __

    "Bozena" <> wrote in message
    news:8boYk.7716$...
    >A friend is having a problem with her Belkin wireless router finding her
    > new Brother wireless printer/scanner. The Belkin router is the new "n"
    > standard. The printer specs say it supports the "b" and "g" standard. Is
    > it possible that this printer will only connect if we throttle down her
    > router
    > to "g". Does the "n" standard cause a compatibility problem?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Scott
    >
     
    GTS, Nov 30, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Hi
    Check the Wireless setting of the Router and make sure that it is Not set
    to work only as N. Otherwise, it is automatically should work with 802.11g
    too.
    As as far my experience with Bother Printers goes, in order to make the
    Brother Network Printer(or AIO) the utilities and drivers of the Brother's
    device have to be installed first on the computers that are going to use
    this device.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    "Bozena" <> wrote in message
    news:8boYk.7716$...
    >A friend is having a problem with her Belkin wireless router finding her
    > new Brother wireless printer/scanner. The Belkin router is the new "n"
    > standard. The printer specs say it supports the "b" and "g" standard. Is
    > it possible that this printer will only connect if we throttle down her
    > router
    > to "g". Does the "n" standard cause a compatibility problem?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Scott
    >
     
    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 30, 2008
    #3
  4. Bozena

    Scott Guest

    "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    > Hi
    > Check the Wireless setting of the Router and make sure that it is Not set
    > to work only as N. Otherwise, it is automatically should work with 802.11g
    > too.
    > As as far my experience with Bother Printers goes, in order to make the
    > Brother Network Printer(or AIO) the utilities and drivers of the Brother's
    > device have to be installed first on the computers that are going to use
    > this device.
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > "Bozena" <> wrote in message
    > news:8boYk.7716$...
    > >A friend is having a problem with her Belkin wireless router finding her
    > > new Brother wireless printer/scanner. The Belkin router is the new "n"
    > > standard. The printer specs say it supports the "b" and "g" standard. Is
    > > it possible that this printer will only connect if we throttle down her
    > > router
    > > to "g". Does the "n" standard cause a compatibility problem?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > > Scott
    > >



    Jack,

    I'm going to meet with her and look to see if the router is set for "N" only.
    That could be the problem. And, yes, the drivers and utilities were installed
    first on the Mac laptop. Someone else told me that the USB cable has to be
    connected when first installing the software.

    So, I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling the software(with USB connected)...and
    check for backward compatibility.

    There's a good chance it's one of those issues.

    The network is open (unencrypted). Once we get it working, I'll enable WPA.

    I'll report back here in a few days.

    Thanks!
    Scott
     
    Scott, Dec 1, 2008
    #4
  5. Bozena

    smlunatick Guest

    On Dec 1, 7:29 am, Scott <> wrote:
    > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    >
    > > Hi
    > > Check the Wireless setting of the Router and make sure that  it is Not set
    > > to work only as N. Otherwise, it is automatically should work with 802.11g
    > > too.
    > > As as far my experience with Bother Printers goes, in order to make the
    > > Brother Network Printer(or AIO) the utilities and drivers of the Brother's
    > > device have to be installed first on the computers that are going to use
    > > this device.
    > > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    >
    > > "Bozena" <> wrote in message
    > >news:8boYk.7716$...
    > > >A friend is having a problem with her Belkin wireless router finding her
    > > > new Brother wireless printer/scanner.  The Belkin router is the new "n"
    > > > standard.  The printer specs say it supports the "b" and "g" standard.  Is
    > > > it possible that this printer will only connect if we throttle down her
    > > > router
    > > > to "g".  Does the "n" standard cause a compatibility problem?

    >
    > > > Thanks!
    > > > Scott

    >
    > Jack,
    >
    > I'm going to meet with her and look to see if the router is set for "N" only.
    > That could be the problem.  And, yes, the drivers and utilities were installed
    > first on the Mac laptop.  Someone else told me that the USB cable has to be
    > connected when first installing the software.  
    >
    > So, I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling the software(with USB connected)...and
    > check for backward compatibility.
    >
    > There's a good chance it's one of those issues.
    >
    > The network is open (unencrypted). Once we get it working, I'll enable WPA.
    >
    > I'll report back here in a few days.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Scott


    Also, any printer, or static "service" device (aka server,) connected
    to any network should always be set up with its own IP address stored
    on the unit (aka static IP address.) Printers, servers and routers
    all need to be always found. Several printer print "servers" default
    to DHCP service and will have the possibility of getting different IP
    addresses.
     
    smlunatick, Dec 1, 2008
    #5
  6. Bozena

    Scott Guest

    smlunatick wrote:
    >
    > On Dec 1, 7:29 am, Scott <> wrote:
    > > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi
    > > > Check the Wireless setting of the Router and make sure that it is Not set
    > > > to work only as N. Otherwise, it is automatically should work with 802.11g
    > > > too.
    > > > As as far my experience with Bother Printers goes, in order to make the
    > > > Brother Network Printer(or AIO) the utilities and drivers of the Brother's
    > > > device have to be installed first on the computers that are going to use
    > > > this device.
    > > > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    > >
    > > > "Bozena" <> wrote in message
    > > >news:8boYk.7716$...
    > > > >A friend is having a problem with her Belkin wireless router finding her
    > > > > new Brother wireless printer/scanner. The Belkin router is the new "n"
    > > > > standard. The printer specs say it supports the "b" and "g" standard. Is
    > > > > it possible that this printer will only connect if we throttle down her
    > > > > router
    > > > > to "g". Does the "n" standard cause a compatibility problem?

    > >
    > > > > Thanks!
    > > > > Scott

    > >
    > > Jack,
    > >
    > > I'm going to meet with her and look to see if the router is set for "N" only.
    > > That could be the problem. And, yes, the drivers and utilities were installed
    > > first on the Mac laptop. Someone else told me that the USB cable has to be
    > > connected when first installing the software.
    > >
    > > So, I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling the software(with USB connected)...and
    > > check for backward compatibility.
    > >
    > > There's a good chance it's one of those issues.
    > >
    > > The network is open (unencrypted). Once we get it working, I'll enable WPA.
    > >
    > > I'll report back here in a few days.
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > > Scott

    >
    > Also, any printer, or static "service" device (aka server,) connected
    > to any network should always be set up with its own IP address stored
    > on the unit (aka static IP address.) Printers, servers and routers
    > all need to be always found. Several printer print "servers" default
    > to DHCP service and will have the possibility of getting different IP
    > addresses.


    Yes, on the Brother printer menu, it displayed an IP address. When I entered that
    IP address on the printer setup on the Mac laptop, it wouldn't connect. It said to
    "check the network settings".

    I'll be working again on this problemagain on Monday night, and I'll report back
    on the results.

    Scott
     
    Scott, Dec 5, 2008
    #6
  7. Bozena

    smlunatick Guest

    On Dec 5, 7:32 am, Scott <> wrote:
    > smlunatick wrote:
    >
    > > On Dec 1, 7:29 am, Scott <> wrote:
    > > > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

    >
    > > > > Hi
    > > > > Check the Wireless setting of the Router and make sure that  it is Not set
    > > > > to work only as N. Otherwise, it is automatically should work with 802.11g
    > > > > too.
    > > > > As as far my experience with Bother Printers goes, in order to make the
    > > > > Brother Network Printer(or AIO) the utilities and drivers of the Brother's
    > > > > device have to be installed first on the computers that are going to use
    > > > > this device.
    > > > > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    >
    > > > > "Bozena" <> wrote in message
    > > > >news:8boYk.7716$...
    > > > > >A friend is having a problem with her Belkin wireless router finding her
    > > > > > new Brother wireless printer/scanner.  The Belkin router is the new "n"
    > > > > > standard.  The printer specs say it supports the "b" and "g" standard.  Is
    > > > > > it possible that this printer will only connect if we throttle down her
    > > > > > router
    > > > > > to "g".  Does the "n" standard cause a compatibility problem?

    >
    > > > > > Thanks!
    > > > > > Scott

    >
    > > > Jack,

    >
    > > > I'm going to meet with her and look to see if the router is set for "N" only.
    > > > That could be the problem.  And, yes, the drivers and utilities were installed
    > > > first on the Mac laptop.  Someone else told me that the USB cable has to be
    > > > connected when first installing the software.

    >
    > > > So, I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling the software(with USB connected)...and
    > > > check for backward compatibility.

    >
    > > > There's a good chance it's one of those issues.

    >
    > > > The network is open (unencrypted). Once we get it working, I'll enable WPA.

    >
    > > > I'll report back here in a few days.

    >
    > > > Thanks!
    > > > Scott

    >
    > > Also, any printer, or static "service" device (aka server,) connected
    > > to any network should always be set up with its own IP address stored
    > > on the unit (aka static IP address.)  Printers, servers and routers
    > > all need to be always found.  Several printer print "servers" default
    > > to DHCP service and will have the possibility of getting different IP
    > > addresses.

    >
    > Yes, on the Brother printer menu, it displayed an IP address. When I entered that
    > IP address on the printer setup on the Mac laptop, it wouldn't connect. It said to
    > "check the network settings".
    >
    > I'll be working again on this problemagain on Monday night, and I'll report back
    > on the results.
    >
    > Scott


    Please make sure that:

    1) IP address is based on the same subnet scheme: If Mac laptop has
    an address with 192.168.0.xxx, then the printer also need to follow
    the same scheme (192.168.0.yyy)

    2) Subnet mask needs to match on both the Mac and printer: ex:
    255.255.255.0

    3) Firewall "rules" need to be told to let the Brother "drivers" to
    access the network

    4) Firewall may need to be told to "trust" the wireless network SSID.
     
    smlunatick, Dec 5, 2008
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?Q2hvc2Vub25lZQ==?=

    Hardware Install Wizard not detecting Wireles Card

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hvc2Vub25lZQ==?=, Dec 26, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    1,009
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hvc2Vub25lZQ==?=
    Jan 17, 2006
  2. =?Utf-8?B?TG91?=

    Wireles set up

    =?Utf-8?B?TG91?=, Apr 6, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,317
  3. James Luu

    Wireles-B and Wireless-G

    James Luu, Jan 3, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    762
    Toolman Tim
    Jan 3, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?ZGRhbWljbw==?=

    Wireles Repair Option

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGRhbWljbw==?=, Aug 14, 2007, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    545
    Eric Cross [MVP]
    Aug 14, 2007
  5. John Kara

    Wireles networking

    John Kara, Sep 5, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    473
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=
    Sep 5, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page