Using a Windows XP 64 bit print driver on a 32 bit Windows 2003 Print Server

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Alex Griffin, Jul 27, 2005.

  1. Alex Griffin

    Alex Griffin Guest

    Hello chaps and ladies,

    I have just rolled out a few 64 bit XP Pro clients and am having some
    difficulties with our network printers. I have Lexmark Optra 1200,
    W810 and M410s. The drivers for which *are* included with Windows XP
    64 bit edition.... However, when I browse to those printers shared off
    our network print server (32bit Windows 2003 Server) I get an error to
    the effect that the print drivers on the server are not correct. That
    is fine... They are not... However I have tried to update the Print
    Server to add the 64 bit client drivers, but I cannot. How can I
    extract the printer drivers from Windows XP 64? I can get the driver
    files, but I am still lacking an inf file, and despite dumping all the
    inf files that I can find which mention "Lexmark" from the Windows OS
    directories and the driver files into a directory, the driver will not
    install.

    Lexmark do not have any 64 bit print drivers on their website, so I
    cannot got them from there. It seems ridiculous, that in effect, I
    have the drivers, but I cannot deploy them for lack of an inf file.
    *grumbles*

    Help! Any suggestions?

    Thanks.

    --
    Alex Griffin

    Alex Griffin, Jul 27, 2005

  2. Alex Griffin

    John Barnes Guest

    ntprint.inf

    John Barnes, Jul 27, 2005

  3. Alex Griffin

    M. Murcek Guest

    I see this same problem trying to install a HP JetDirect 500 print server.
    I tried extracting the \AMD64\Drivers.cab to a folder on the HDD. When I
    browse to it, I can see the .inf for the printer I want, but the HP
    installer comes back with the incorrect printer driver message and exits.
    Since the HP software at one point asks for files from the \IA64 directory,
    I assumed it was something hard coded into the installer software. I'm
    successfully using printer shares located on a W2K server, but they are
    LJ1200 and DJ990c which are on the x64 Edition CD. I'm still trying to work
    around it. Maybe try downloading an x64 driver from your printer's
    manufacturer, and browse to that during the install?

    M. Murcek, Jul 27, 2005
  4. Alex Griffin

    Rick Guest

    Re: Using a Windows XP 64 bit print driver on a 32 bit Windows 2003Print Server

    You need to check your keyboard. It seems to be stuck on "ntprint.inf"

    Rick, Jul 27, 2005
  5. Alex -- short answer is to add additional drivers to the printer, and when
    you do that, specify x64 as the architecture, and point to the
    \amd64\ntprint.inf file on your x64 CD as the source. I'll try to write this
    up for the blog later today, in greater detail. (And this may require SP1 to
    work properly - have to verify, since all my servers are at SP1 or later, by
    now.)

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 27, 2005
  6. probably because it is the correct, if short, answer.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 27, 2005
  7. Alex Griffin

    John Barnes Guest

    or copy from your x64 OS

    John Barnes, Jul 27, 2005
  8. Alex Griffin

    John Barnes Guest

    Let's see, that makes 3 sarcastic bitter responses.

    John Barnes, Jul 27, 2005
  9. Alex Griffin

    John Barnes Guest

    Thanks :)

    John Barnes, Jul 27, 2005
  10. Alex Griffin

    Alex Griffin Guest

    "John Barnes" wrote:

    > ntprint.inf

    Hi John,

    That's the inf file I am using, but no dice.

    Let me go over in detail, what I have done.

    I have installed the "Lexmark Optra 1200 (MS)" driver on the 64 bit
    workstation.

    I have navigated to here, to get the driver files:

    %systemroot%\system32\spool\drivers\x64\3

    And to here, to get the inf files:

    %systemroot%\inf

    I have put all of those files in c:\temp, so that I have the following:

    Directory of C:\TEMP

    27/07/2005 15:00 <DIR> .
    27/07/2005 15:00 <DIR> ..
    27/07/2005 09:45 26,900 LOPC1200.BPD
    24/03/2005 17:20 32,587 LOPC1200.PPD
    25/03/2005 13:00 1,570,474 ntprint.inf
    26/07/2005 11:19 1,364,728 ntprint.PNF
    24/03/2005 17:22 393,728 OPTRARES.DLL
    24/03/2005 17:25 14,362 STDNAMES.GPD
    24/03/2005 17:34 698 TTFSUB.GPD
    24/03/2005 17:34 518,144 UNIDRV.DLL
    24/03/2005 17:34 21,225 UNIDRV.HLP
    24/03/2005 17:34 324,608 UNIDRVUI.DLL
    24/03/2005 17:34 620,544 UNIRES.DLL

    I have then browsed to the server, gone into the "Printers and Faxes"
    folder. I have then clicked on one of our shared Optra 1200 printers, and
    gone to "Sharing" and selected "Additional Drivers". In there I have ticked
    the "x64 Windows XP and Windows Server 2003" option, and have then clicked
    on "Ok". The wizard then prompts me for a directory where it can find the
    driver, I point it the location where I placed the above files and the
    wizard responds:

    "The specified location does not contain the driver Lexmark Optra Color 1200
    for the requested processor architecture."

    I then tear my hair out :)

    --
    Alex Griffin

    Alex Griffin, Jul 27, 2005
  11. Alex Griffin

    Alex Griffin Guest

    "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

    > Alex -- short answer is to add additional drivers to the printer, and when
    > you do that, specify x64 as the architecture, and point to the
    > \amd64\ntprint.inf file on your x64 CD as the source. I'll try to write
    > this up for the blog later today, in greater detail. (And this may require
    > SP1 to work properly - have to verify, since all my servers are at SP1 or
    > later, by now.)

    Hi Charlie,

    I have tried that and get the same error message as with my little attempt
    as detailed in my last post in this thread.

    Alex Griffin, Jul 27, 2005
  12. Alex Griffin

    John Barnes Guest

    Have you tried to browse to the amd64 file on your x64 install disk when
    asked for the location?

    John Barnes, Jul 27, 2005
  13. Alex Griffin

    Alex Griffin Guest

    "Alex Griffin" wrote:

    > "The specified location does not contain the driver Lexmark Optra Color
    > 1200
    > for the requested processor architecture."

    Ok, more fiddling and it does work. I created a fresh printer pointing at
    the same printing device, and when I tried to add the 64 bit driver on that
    system, it worked. I guess my earlier fiddling has left the original printer
    instanced in a befuddled state and it is not playing. Nothing a reboot
    probably will not fix. *grumble*

    But you are all correct, ntprint.inf is the ticket. Thanks chaps!

    --
    Alex Griffin

    Alex Griffin, Jul 27, 2005
  14. Alex Griffin

    Alex Griffin Guest

    "Alex Griffin" wrote:
    > Ok, more fiddling and it does work. I created a fresh printer pointing at
    > the same printing device, and when I tried to add the 64 bit driver on
    > that system, it worked. I guess my earlier fiddling has left the original
    > printer instanced in a befuddled state and it is not playing. Nothing a
    > reboot probably will not fix. *grumble*

    Ok, last update, I hope... but I felt it only fair to share my last
    discovery. This may be obvious to the printer gurus out there, but it was
    not to me. You have to use the same driver across the board, and that's
    where the problem was occurring when I was trying to add the 64 bit driver
    to the orginal "printer". When I installed the second "printer" I choose the
    32 bit Windows 2003 Server provided Optra 1200 driver called "Lexmark Optra
    Color 1200 (MS)", and consequently the 64 bit driver was able to install
    because that is the same driver "series" that is also on the 64 bit OS . The
    original Lexmark driver I had on my original "printers" must be a Lexmark
    version since it is literally called "Lexmark Optra Color 1200" (Not the MS
    or PS one), and as a result there was indeed no 64 Bit version which is what
    the installer kept on telling me, and it was right there was none.

    I am not too sure my explanation is very clear, if you want me to clarify
    futher then please say so and I will try.

    --
    Alex Griffin

    Alex Griffin, Jul 27, 2005
  15. yes, this is correct. It must be the exact same driver or it will fail. So,
    if your printer is natviely supported by ntprint.inf, you need to either
    edit the ntprint.inf file (tricky, and not recommended), or make a decision
    about what workaround printer you will use that IS supported, and then
    create a printer on the server that uses that same (but 32-bit version)
    driver, and then add the x64 version.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 27, 2005