    pictures with?

    Thanks for any advice offered.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jun 21, 2006

  2. E. Scrooge

    Allistar Guest

    *sling wrote:

    > Are there any Casio camera owners who have some good tips on getting Linux
    > to download pictures from their cameras using the USB connection?
    >
    > And what Linux software do you find is best for editing digital camera
    > pictures with?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice offered.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    I don't have a Casio but have a Canon A620 (7.1Mp, takes awesome photos). I
    use digiKam (which uses the gphoto2 system) to get photos off it. I then
    use Gimp to edit the photos if needed.

    gphoto2 does recognise some Casio cameras, namely the LV10, QV10, QV100,
    QV10A, QV300, QV70, QV700 and QV770. You could also use the generic USB PTP
    camera (assuming the Casio does PTP). Some cameras can also be mounted as a
    drive.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Jun 21, 2006

  3. E. Scrooge

    Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 20:54:34 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    (*sling)> wrote:

    >Are there any Casio camera owners who have some good tips on getting Linux
    >to download pictures from their cameras using the USB connection?
    >
    >And what Linux software do you find is best for editing digital camera
    >pictures with?
    >
    >Thanks for any advice offered.
    >
    >E. Scrooge

    Yes its called Windows XP..

    Only Idiots use Lunix..
    , Jun 21, 2006
  4. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 20:54:34 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    > (*sling)> wrote:
    >
    >>Are there any Casio camera owners who have some good tips on getting Linux
    >>to download pictures from their cameras using the USB connection?
    >>
    >>And what Linux software do you find is best for editing digital camera
    >>pictures with?
    >>
    >>Thanks for any advice offered.
    >>
    >>E. Scrooge
    >>

    > Yes its called Windows XP..
    >
    > Only Idiots use Lunix..

    You like to keep proving that some XP users are idiots. You wanted to keep
    using Windows 98 as well as XP LOL.

    You're far better off playing around on your Gameboy, old chap.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jun 21, 2006
  5. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message news:...
    > *sling wrote:
    >
    >> Are there any Casio camera owners who have some good tips on getting
    >> Linux
    >> to download pictures from their cameras using the USB connection?
    >>
    >> And what Linux software do you find is best for editing digital camera
    >> pictures with?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any advice offered.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge

    > I don't have a Casio but have a Canon A620 (7.1Mp, takes awesome photos).
    > use digiKam (which uses the gphoto2 system) to get photos off it. I then
    > use Gimp to edit the photos if needed.
    >
    > gphoto2 does recognise some Casio cameras, namely the LV10, QV10, QV100,
    > QV10A, QV300, QV70, QV700 and QV770. You could also use the generic USB
    > PTP
    > camera (assuming the Casio does PTP). Some cameras can also be mounted as
    > drive.
    >
    > Allistar.

    Thanks very much, Allistar. The person has Gimp that looks useful enough.
    Gphoto was downloading when I left. Hopefully that will help get the
    pictures downloaded. They have a Casio EX Z110 camera.

    Cheers,
    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jun 21, 2006
  6. E. Scrooge

    James West Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 20:54:34 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    > (*sling)> wrote:
    >
    >>Are there any Casio camera owners who have some good tips on getting Linux
    >>to download pictures from their cameras using the USB connection?
    >>
    >>And what Linux software do you find is best for editing digital camera
    >>pictures with?
    >>
    >>Thanks for any advice offered.
    >>
    >>E. Scrooge
    >>

    > Yes its called Windows XP..
    >
    > Only Idiots use Lunix..

    I seem to remember the time you said only idiots use XP Roger

    james

    James West, Jun 22, 2006
  7. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "James West" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 20:54:34 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    >> (*sling)> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Are there any Casio camera owners who have some good tips on getting
    >>>Linux
    >>>to download pictures from their cameras using the USB connection?
    >>>
    >>>And what Linux software do you find is best for editing digital camera
    >>>pictures with?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for any advice offered.
    >>>
    >>>E. Scrooge
    >>>

    >> Yes its called Windows XP..
    >>
    >> Only Idiots use Lunix..

    > I seem to remember the time you said only idiots use XP Roger
    >
    > james

    That's dead right, and according to the expert his version of Windows 98 was
    better than XP.
    Not knowing how to use XP didn't help the poor fool much.
    Couldn't expect much more from a game console addict though.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jun 22, 2006
  8. E. Scrooge

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-06-21, E. Scrooge <scrooge@*shot.co.nz> wrote:
    > Are there any Casio camera owners who have some good tips on getting Linux
    > to download pictures from their cameras using the USB connection?

    aptitude suggests "qvplay" for some casio cameras, most other cameras
    behave like usb-disks
    avoid kernel versions 2.6.x with x<13 as usb storage support was patchy in
    those versions.

    > And what Linux software do you find is best for editing digital camera
    > pictures with?

    "The GIMP" if you want interactive, "netpbm" or "image magick" for scripted.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Jun 22, 2006
  9. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "jasen" <> wrote in message
    > On 2006-06-21, E. Scrooge <scrooge@*shot.co.nz> wrote:
    >> Are there any Casio camera owners who have some good tips on getting
    >> Linux
    >> to download pictures from their cameras using the USB connection?

    > aptitude suggests "qvplay" for some casio cameras, most other cameras
    > behave like usb-disks
    > avoid kernel versions 2.6.x with x<13 as usb storage support was patchy in
    > those versions.
    >
    >> And what Linux software do you find is best for editing digital camera
    >> pictures with?

    > "The GIMP" if you want interactive, "netpbm" or "image magick" for
    > scripted.
    >
    > Bye.
    > Jasen

    Thanks, Jasen.
    Turns out there wasn't much of a problem at all. The USB plug on the new
    camera needed pushing in more. It didn't look like there was more than
    about 1/8th inch depth in the camera while the plug is about 1/4 of an inch.
    When felt some a bit of tight resistance I thought that was it and didn't
    want to force it in case of damage.
    At least alls well now. "Image magick" sounds good, I'll get the camera
    owner to check it out along with "netpbm" thanks, Jasen. They have Gimp.

    Cheers,
    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jun 22, 2006
  10. E. Scrooge

    Larry Spitz Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > Are there any Casio camera owners who have some good tips on getting Linux
    > to download pictures from their cameras using the USB connection?
    >
    > And what Linux software do you find is best for editing digital camera
    > pictures with?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice offered.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    My Casio Exilim EX-Z4U camera is about two years old. When I got it I
    was using RedHat 9.0 and I wrote a Perl script to upload the pictures.
    If you are interested, email me and I will send it to you.

    However I converted my machine over to Fedora Core 3 a few months ago
    and I found that FC3 automatically detects the camera and offers to
    upload the pictures on its own. I decline this automatic upload because
    my Perl script does some other things for me that I like.

    Cheers,

    Larry
    Larry Spitz, Jun 23, 2006
  11. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Larry Spitz" <> wrote in message
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    >> Are there any Casio camera owners who have some good tips on getting
    >> Linux to download pictures from their cameras using the USB connection?
    >>
    >> And what Linux software do you find is best for editing digital camera
    >> pictures with?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any advice offered.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge

    > My Casio Exilim EX-Z4U camera is about two years old. When I got it I was
    > using RedHat 9.0 and I wrote a Perl script to upload the pictures. If you
    > are interested, email me and I will send it to you.
    >
    > However I converted my machine over to Fedora Core 3 a few months ago and
    > I found that FC3 automatically detects the camera and offers to upload the
    > pictures on its own. I decline this automatic upload because my Perl
    > script does some other things for me that I like.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Larry

    Thanks, Larry. I was helping someone out with their new camera on their
    computers. With the lead right in the camera it's now detecting it good.
    I'll let the person know about your setup though, thanks.

    Cheers,
    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jun 23, 2006
  12. E. Scrooge

    Blue Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 21:44:29 +1200, zipdisk wrote:

    > On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 20:54:34 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    > (*sling)> wrote:
    >
    >> [quoted text muted]

    > Yes its called Windows XP..
    >
    > Only Idiots use Lunix..

    Ah good to see Roger is back. BTW how are you going with your Linux
    platform?
    Blue, Jun 23, 2006