    iwant to plug the ethernet from the xbox to the laptop, then the laptop
    wireless into the network, but am unsure of how to configure the laptop to do
    so. thanks!

    =?Utf-8?B?Ym9iIHNtaXRo?=, Nov 11, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Ym9iIHNtaXRo?=

    Malke Guest

    bob smith wrote:

    > I am trying to configure my laptop so that i can connect my xbox to it
    > in order to play xbox live on the internet. I have dsl, and wireless
    > networking in my house, but no wireless adapter for the xbox, and no
    > ethernet cable long enough to reach the router. my laptop has a
    > wireless card, and i was wondering if and how its possible to use the
    > laptop to provide an internet connection for the xbox (the laptop has
    > a ethernet plug as well as wireless). iwant to plug the ethernet from
    > the xbox to the laptop, then the laptop wireless into the network, but
    > am unsure of how to configure the laptop to do so. thanks!

    AFAIK you need to get a game console wireless adapter if you want to
    have XBox Live. Maybe someone else has tried your idea, but the problem
    I see is that your wireless card is a receiver, not a transmitter.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, Nov 12, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Ym9iIHNtaXRo?=

    TW Guest

    "but the problem I see is that your wireless card is a receiver, not a
    transmitter." This statement is wrong. your wireless card is both a
    transmitter and receiver, otherwise how could it send packets to and receive
    packets from the router.

    I think the idea for using the laptop to connect to the wireless router
    should work. The fact that you have a wireless card AND an ethernet card
    should in fact turn the laptop into a router, since they are both ethernet
    adaptors.
    I think you will need to use the persistent route command and use different
    subnets for each adaptor. I'm not sure exactly the syntax to use.

    Do a google search on multi homed computers and routing(multi homed is a
    computer with more than one network adaptor thus turning it into a router
    which can and will route between different subnets assigned for each card).

    Hope this info sends you in the right direction.

    TW, Nov 12, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Ym9iIHNtaXRo?=

    Malke Guest

    "TW" <twilckenATmsnDOTcom> wrote:

    > "but the problem I see is that your wireless card is a receiver, not a
    > transmitter." This statement is wrong. your wireless card is both a
    > transmitter and receiver, otherwise how could it send packets to and
    > receive packets from the router.
    >
    > I think the idea for using the laptop to connect to the wireless
    > router should work. The fact that you have a wireless card AND an
    > ethernet card should in fact turn the laptop into a router, since they
    > are both ethernet adaptors.
    > I think you will need to use the persistent route command and use
    > different subnets for each adaptor. I'm not sure exactly the syntax to
    > use.
    >
    > Do a google search on multi homed computers and routing(multi homed is
    > a computer with more than one network adaptor thus turning it into a
    > router which can and will route between different subnets assigned for
    > each card).
    >
    > Hope this info sends you in the right direction.

    Cool idea, TW. It certainly can't hurt for the OP to try doing it your
    way. The game adapter I have for my XBox acts as a bridge, so maybe the
    OP can set his wireless card that way? Thanks for the information.

    Malke

    Malke, Nov 12, 2004
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Ym9iIHNtaXRo?=

    cdm22

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Hi, I have just registered with this site, so excuse me if I am not totally up to date with everything that is going on.

    I have set up a connection to xbox live via my laptop, which is what you are trying to do i think.

    I had to try a few methods, so i will tell you them all, as i think that some work and some don't depending on your router etc.

    Firstly, I didn't have to buy a cross - over cable, as some forums suggest, I just used the standard cable that comes with the xbox. The first method i tried was using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). I'm not really a computer whizz, so i can't tell you exactly how to do this, but you can find out how on plenty of forums. This worked for a few days, but then, for no reason that i could see, stopeed working.

    The next, and successful method that i used, was creating a network bridge, between my LAN (Local Area Connection), and my wireless connection. You d this by simply going to network conections, selecting the two connections i have detailed, and right clicking and selecting bridge connections.

    Everything worked fine, or so i thought. All i had to do, was turn on my laptop, make sure it was connected to the internet and plug it into my xbox. With this set up i was able to connect to xbox live.

    But then i found a problem. My NAT was set to Moderate. This is didn't seem important, but i later found out when trying to join my friends parties, and join private chat, that I couldn't, due to this setting.

    This was relatively easy to correct. All I had to do, was go to my router settings (By the way I use a Belkin 54g wireless router), by entering the standard setup address that i was given (looks like an IP address) as a web address. From there I enabled UPnP. This sorted out my problem, and my NAT became open. This allowed me to play with my friends.

    Herein lies my problem. I don't know if this is the right place to ask for help, but i figured that my problem connecting to xbox live may help other people. My problem is that xbox live works fine, until someone else in my house connects to the internet. When they connect, my NAT goes back to moderate, and my connecton becomes really bad. can anyone tell me how to sort this out, as it is really annoying me, as you can imagine.

    Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
    cdm22, Oct 18, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Ym9iIHNtaXRo?=

    nfk953

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    moderate nat

    you need to get your nat to be open to do this you need to forward the correct ports on your router by default they are mostly all blocked unless you tell them to open. you have to login to your router and go to port forwarding or triggering look up your manufacturer's instructions on how to do this. for the xbox 360 you can simply visit this site which should help you.

    /live.tommccann.net

    nfk953, May 27, 2009