using a Ethernet connection as a input to Ethernet switch to be ableto connect many machines to netw

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by s, Jan 20, 2010.

  1. s

    s Guest

    We have a fiber port in our office. A single mode fiber cable's one
    end connected to that port and another to a fiber ethernet media
    converter like
    http://www.amazon.com/Allied-Telesy...8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264029691&sr=8-1.
    To that fiber ethernet media converter a ethernet cable is connected
    at one end and another end of the Ethernet cable goes into a printer
    which is used as a network printer.

    Present connection

    Fiberport----------- single mode Fibercable------ fiber ethernet media
    converter ----- Ethernet cable------- printer(as it can take only
    ethernet cables for connecting to the network)

    Can we use a switch like NETGEAR FS105 5-Port Fast Ethernet Switch
    shown at http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=190786 to
    connect more machines to the network by connecting the ethernet cable
    from the fiber ethernet media converter as a input to the switch from
    which we can get more Ethernet connections to connect other computers?

    Proposed connection.

    Fiberport----------- single mode Fibercable------ fiber ethernet media
    converter----- Ethernet cable------- Ethernet switch----------------
    Multiple connections one of which goes to printer and other to
    different machines.

    Can someone please clarify?

    Thanks

    s, Jan 20, 2010

  2. Re: using a Ethernet connection as a input to Ethernet switch to be able to connect many machines to network

    s wrote:
    > We have a fiber port in our office. A single mode fiber cable's one
    > end connected to that port and another to a fiber ethernet media
    > converter like
    > http://www.amazon.com/Allied-Telesy...8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264029691&sr=8-1.
    > To that fiber ethernet media converter a ethernet cable is connected
    > at one end and another end of the Ethernet cable goes into a printer
    > which is used as a network printer.
    >
    > Present connection
    >
    > Fiberport----------- single mode Fibercable------ fiber ethernet media
    > converter ----- Ethernet cable------- printer(as it can take only
    > ethernet cables for connecting to the network)
    >
    > Can we use a switch like NETGEAR FS105 5-Port Fast Ethernet Switch
    > shown at http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=190786 to
    > connect more machines to the network by connecting the ethernet cable
    > from the fiber ethernet media converter as a input to the switch from
    > which we can get more Ethernet connections to connect other computers?
    >
    > Proposed connection.
    >
    > Fiberport----------- single mode Fibercable------ fiber ethernet media
    > converter----- Ethernet cable------- Ethernet switch----------------
    > Multiple connections one of which goes to printer and other to
    > different machines.
    >
    > Can someone please clarify?
    >
    > Thanks

    Sounds fine in principle, but it's something that might need a network
    person to set up, e.g., if the printer has a static IP and the Netgear
    defaults, as most do, to being a DHCP server, then you might not be able
    to see the printer on the other side (the converter side) of the
    Netgear. You might need to enable NAT, which that Netgear may not
    support, to allow its static IP to effectively pass through the router,
    which means that maybe the $30 Netgear is not what you need for this.

    Put another way, it's certainly doable under most circumstances, but you
    may not be able to make it work without someone techie setting up
    everything for you.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Jan 20, 2010

  3. s

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 20/01/2010 23:37, s wrote:
    > We have a fiber port in our office. A single mode fiber cable's one
    > end connected to that port and another to a fiber ethernet media
    > converter like
    > http://www.amazon.com/Allied-Telesy...8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264029691&sr=8-1.
    > To that fiber ethernet media converter a ethernet cable is connected
    > at one end and another end of the Ethernet cable goes into a printer
    > which is used as a network printer.
    >
    > Present connection
    >
    > Fiberport----------- single mode Fibercable------ fiber ethernet media
    > converter ----- Ethernet cable------- printer(as it can take only
    > ethernet cables for connecting to the network)
    >
    > Can we use a switch like NETGEAR FS105 5-Port Fast Ethernet Switch
    > shown at http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=190786 to
    > connect more machines to the network by connecting the ethernet cable
    > from the fiber ethernet media converter as a input to the switch from
    > which we can get more Ethernet connections to connect other computers?
    >
    > Proposed connection.
    >
    > Fiberport----------- single mode Fibercable------ fiber ethernet media
    > converter----- Ethernet cable------- Ethernet switch----------------
    > Multiple connections one of which goes to printer and other to
    > different machines.
    >
    > Can someone please clarify?

    Ask your IT department.

    Desk Rabbit, Jan 21, 2010
  4. s

    why? Guest

    Re: using a Ethernet connection as a input to Ethernet switch to be able to connect many machines to network

    On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 15:37:10 -0800 (PST), s wrote:

    How many times do you think asking you will get an answer? Even with a
    modified question.

    Contact your IT dept.

    >We have a fiber port in our office. A single mode fiber cable's one
    >end connected to that port and another to a fiber ethernet media
    >converter like
    >http://www.amazon.com/Allied-Telesy...8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264029691&sr=8-1.
    >To that fiber ethernet media converter a ethernet cable is connected

    <snip>

    >Can we use a switch like NETGEAR FS105 5-Port Fast Ethernet Switch
    >shown at http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=190786 to
    >connect more machines to the network by connecting the ethernet cable

    You know what I do when I find users connecting kit? It's reported to
    the security department of the IT company, and thier
    security/management.

    <snip>

    using a Ethernet connection as a input to Ethernet switch to ...
    To that fiber ethernet media converter a ethernet cable is connected at
    one end
    Jan 20 by Steve Freides - 3 messages - 3 authors

    choosing a fiber to ethernet media converter
    24hoursupport helpdesk a new machine in our office has a
    ethernet adapter for networking purposes meaning it cannot directly
    accept fiber
    optic which is what we have in our office. so, we need a fiber to
    ethernet
    Nov 15 2009 by s - 3 messages - 3 authors

    choosing a fiber to ethernet media converter
    nobody > 24hoursupport helpdesk s wrote: the
    fiber optic
    cables in our office have sc connectors and i guess they are singlemode.
    can
    someone please advise? thanks "fddi"
    Nov 15 2009 - 3 messages - 3 authors

    Me

    why?, Jan 21, 2010
  5. s

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 10:17:44 +0000, Desk Rabbit wrote:

    >On 20/01/2010 23:37, s wrote:
    >> We have a fiber port in our office. A single mode fiber cable's one
    >> end connected to that port and another to a fiber ethernet media
    >> converter like
    >> http://www.amazon.com/Allied-Telesy...8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264029691&sr=8-1.
    >> To that fiber ethernet media converter a ethernet cable is connected
    >> at one end and another end of the Ethernet cable goes into a printer

    <snip>

    >Ask your IT department.

    Funny you should say that :) same recommendation twice in 1 message.

    why? Nov 16 2009, 12:55 pm
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    From: why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>
    Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 17:55:12 GMT
    Subject: Re: choosing a fiber to ethernet media converter

    On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 17:04:22 -0800 (PST), s wrote:
    >A new machine in our office has a ethernet adapter for networking

    Ask your IT department / IT buyer should have ordered the correct parts.
    <snipped>
    >Can someone please advise?

    Your IT department.
    >Thanks