    My other concern is whether the camera can be damaged
    by using it in this mode for any length of time.
    Any thoughts?

    Irwell, Feb 1, 2004

  2. Irwell

    Bill Guest

    The AV out will only display what the LCD is displaying and is normally used
    to see your images or movie clips on a TV screen when the camera is in
    "Playback" mode. What you see on the LCD screen is simply reproduced on the
    TV screen, or in your case, fed to the VCR input. The closest thing to what
    you describe are cameras that allow you to select if the USB connection will
    be to transfer data (i.e. stored images) to your PC (DSC mode) or to feed
    live video to the PC (Web-cam mode). I don't know of any still image digital
    cameras that can do what you are trying to do. That ususally requires a
    digital video camera (camcorder).

    Bill

    Bill, Feb 2, 2004

  3. Irwell

    Charley Guest

    I've owned a Sony Mavica MVC-FD95 for over 3 1/2 years and have used it as a
    video camera on several occasions. The video output of the A/V connector
    (not part of USB) on the camera provides an excellent video picture to a VCR
    and I can view the LCD on the camera at the same time. The first time that I
    tried it, it took me a moment to figure out how to turn off all of the
    displayed camera information, but I found the right combination of camera
    settings to do it. The only information that displays now is the zoom
    indicator and it only shows while I'm changing the zoom. My only regret is
    that there doesn't seem to be a way to get the camera microphone to supply
    audio to the VCR. Only the video signal is available. I have to connect a
    separate microphone into the VCR to get audio. The camera now has better
    than 20 hours of run time using it in this mode with the longest run in
    excess of 2 hours. Of course the camera was connected to the charger/battery
    eliminator and not running off the internal battery.

    It works for me. I hope you can find a way to make your camera do it too.
    --
    Charley

    Charley, Feb 4, 2004
  4. On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 00:25:10 -0500, "Bill" <> wrote:

    >The AV out will only display what the LCD is displaying and is normally used
    >to see your images or movie clips on a TV screen when the camera is in
    >"Playback" mode. What you see on the LCD screen is simply reproduced on the
    >TV screen, or in your case, fed to the VCR input. The closest thing to what
    >you describe are cameras that allow you to select if the USB connection will
    >be to transfer data (i.e. stored images) to your PC (DSC mode) or to feed
    >live video to the PC (Web-cam mode). I don't know of any still image digital
    >cameras that can do what you are trying to do. That ususally requires a
    >digital video camera (camcorder).

    The Oly E20 has a composite video out and as I recall, works just like
    a video camera. IE it shows what you see on the LCD screen when
    getting ready to shoot.

    I believe you will find a goodly number of cameras that do, but no
    guarantees.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Feb 4, 2004