    bridge configuration. Any suggestions?

    Joe Drago
    StreamLine Communications
    Joe Drago, Nov 11, 2003

  2. Joe Drago

    Joe Drago Guest

    Joe Drago <> wrote in
    news:Xns943067EC02B7joedragosl@129.250.35.204:

    > I have a 1720 router with a WIC-1ENET card in it, and I'd like to be
    > able to set it up as a very simple bridging configuration
    > (FastEthernet0 to Ethernet0 both in bridge-group 1), but have the
    > total bandwidth across the bridge throttled.
    >
    > Is there a way to throttle a bridge group without routing? I was
    > looking into the traffic-shape command, but don't know if that'll work
    > with a bridge configuration. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Joe Drago
    > StreamLine Communications

    Answered my own question ... after searching some, I came up with this:

    interface Ethernet4
    no ip address
    media-type 10BaseT
    traffic-shape rate 750000 18000 18000 1000
    bridge-group 1

    This throttles the bridge at 750kbit/s perfectly. All I actually typed in
    was "traffic-shape rate 750000" and hit <cr>, and IOS picked the burst
    values and buffer for me. I'm excited!

    Bridge-group 1 is just a regular ol' bridge group (with "bridge 1 route
    ip" for setting the admin'ing through the BVI), and it throttles as a
    bridge. I believe traffic-shape requires IOS 12.0 or better(?), but this
    worked great on a 4700 router running 12.1(20).

    Joe Drago, Nov 12, 2003

  3. Joe Drago

    Joe Drago Guest

    Joe Drago <> wrote in

    > Answered my own question ... after searching some, I came up with
    > this:
    >
    > interface Ethernet4
    > no ip address
    > media-type 10BaseT
    > traffic-shape rate 750000 18000 18000 1000
    > bridge-group 1

    One last note ... This seems to only affect the outbound traffic on this
    port, so to truely throttle on both sides of a 2 port bridge, you much
    match this traffic-shape line on the other interface.

    Joe Drago, Nov 12, 2003