    Cat Guest

    When I double click an mp3 file, it opens with 32bit Windows Media
    Player. Is it possible to use 64 bit WMP by default?
    Cat, Sep 9, 2007

  2. Cat

    John Barnes Guest

    Associate mp3 with the 64-bit program version.

    John Barnes, Sep 9, 2007

  3. Cat

    S.SubZero Guest

    On Sep 9, 9:02 am, "John Barnes" <> wrote:
    > Associate mp3 with the 64-bit program version.

    That doesn't work.

    http://www.jtow.net/users/triess/

    Download the "x64 components" from that page. It installs not only
    codecs (yay) but it also installs some icons that will make the
    required registry changes to change the default media player. It also
    has an icon to undo the process if needed. Very convenient.
    S.SubZero, Sep 9, 2007
  4. Cat

    John Barnes Guest

    Works for me. I click on an mp3 file and go to Task Manager and the WMP
    that is playing is the 64 bit version

    John Barnes, Sep 9, 2007
  5. Cat

    Clayton Guest

    What would be the difference playing a mp3 file in WMP 64-bit than 32-bit?

    Clayton, Sep 9, 2007
  6. Or the x64 version of the popular ffdshow:
    http://ffdshow.faireal.net/mirror/
    It lives quite happily along with its x86 version.
    Download link:
    http://ffdshow.faireal.net/mirror/ffdshow/ffdshow_rev1328_20070706_x64.exe
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Sep 10, 2007
  7. Cat

    John Barnes Guest

    NONE There really is no practical need for 64-bit for most home users. It
    was a question asked. I personally have my mp3's and mp4's associated with
    Media Player Classic. I just reassociated it to verify that that worked.

    John Barnes, Sep 10, 2007
  8. Cat

    John Adams Guest

    How do you even access the 64 bit version of WMP on Vista?

    John Adams, Sep 10, 2007
  9. Cat

    Clayton Guest

    This entry sets the registry (need to create a reg file and run it)

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
    Paths\wmplayer.exe]
    "Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Windows Media Player"

    This command sets WMP to 64-Bit

    C:\Windows\System32\unregmp2.exe /SwapTo:64

    Clayton, Sep 10, 2007
  10. Cat

    Clayton Guest

    Carlos, isn't ffdshow a part of Vista Codec Package 4.4.8?
    Or would you install it along side also?

    Clayton, Sep 10, 2007
  11. Cat

    John Barnes Guest

    Go to Program Files\Windows Media Player\click on wmplayer.exe If you want
    to set it as your default for mp3, just right click on an mp3 file, select
    open with, browse to the aforementioned file, accept making sure you check
    the box to always use this program to open these files

    John Barnes, Sep 10, 2007
  12. Clayton:
    I have never installed Vista Codec Package.
    I am familiar (and use) with ffdshow and that is my recommendation.
    ffdshow might be a subset or part of the Vista Codec Package.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Sep 10, 2007