Using 2 GB cards with Nikon D50

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by joefoto, Feb 10, 2007.

  1. joefoto

    Just D Guest

    Just D, Feb 11, 2007

  2. joefoto

    Joan Guest

    The problem with having a lot of cards is you need to be very
    organised or you forget which ones are full and have to check each
    time you put one in the camera while out and about taking photos.

    --
    Joan

    "Adrian Boliston" <> wrote in message
    : "nigelamond" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    :
    : > Don't you worry that a malfunction in your card means the loss of
    a lot of
    : > photos? I still use 512mb cards so that at least some of my
    photos
    : > survive.
    :
    : That would hold less than 100 shots! I would end up having to
    switch cards
    : all the time which would be a real pain.
    :
    : cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk
    :
    :
    Joan, Feb 11, 2007

  3. joefoto

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Adrian Boliston wrote:
    > "nigelamond" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Don't you worry that a malfunction in your card means the loss of a lot of
    >> photos? I still use 512mb cards so that at least some of my photos
    >> survive.

    > That would hold less than 100 shots! I would end up having to switch cards
    > all the time which would be a real pain.
    >
    > cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk

    Given the number of times I have had to rewind, unload, and reload film
    after only 24 to 36 pictures over the years, I could easily live with
    replacing a card every 100 pictures. Grin.
    Ron Hunter, Feb 11, 2007
  4. joefoto

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Joan wrote:
    > The problem with having a lot of cards is you need to be very
    > organised or you forget which ones are full and have to check each
    > time you put one in the camera while out and about taking photos.

    I don't see myself as particularly well-organized, but even I can keep
    track of which card is full. If you use SD cards, you can use the write
    tab as an indicator when you remove it from the camera, just set it to
    write-protect. When I used to use small capacity cards, I just moved
    them from the 'blank' side of my card wallet, to the 'full' side.
    Anyone who can't manage this probably doesn't have what it takes to make
    good pictures, namely a brain.
    Ron Hunter, Feb 11, 2007
  5. joefoto

    Joan Guest

    I don't use a card wallet for my SD cards, I just use different
    pockets in my camera bag for full and empty cards. I am organised,
    but I far prefer to have 2GB cards and get about 250 to 300 photos on
    a card before I need to change it.

    --
    Joan

    :
    Joan, Feb 11, 2007
  6. joefoto

    nigelamond Guest

    > "nigelamond" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Don't you worry that a malfunction in your card means the loss of a lot
    >> of photos? I still use 512mb cards so that at least some of my photos
    >> survive.

    > That would hold less than 100 shots! I would end up having to switch
    > cards all the time which would be a real pain.
    >
    > cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk

    "100 shots" sounds about right for me. On a two week travel I might take
    600 photos, thats only 6 cards. I also can hide them around my car and
    various pockets so that being robbed is'nt such a disaster. Maybe I'm
    getting old but I remember having to carry a bag full of film and having to
    change every 36 shots
    nigelamond, Feb 11, 2007
  7. joefoto

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 17:09:36 -0500, "Neil Harrington" <>
    wrote:

    >So why even try? Without FAT32 you *know* it won't recognize more than 2 GB.
    >I don't know of any cameras that did have FAT32 three years ago.

    I have a friend with a D60 (more than 3 years old; Feb. 02) and it
    works with 4GB cards.

    --
    Rudy Giuliani began seeking
    the GOP presidential nomination
    Bill Funk, Feb 11, 2007
  8. joefoto

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 19:14:41 -0000, "nigelamond"
    <> wrote:

    >"Rudy Benner" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "joefoto" <> wrote in message
    >>> Is anyone using 2 GB cards with a D50? The manual states a max of 1
    >>> GB. Nikon Tech Support says, effectively,"DUH?"--they haven't tested
    >>> so they can't comment. I'm wanting to use a SanDisk Ultra II 2 GB
    >>> card to improve speed and allow for more Raw images. Thanks for any
    >>> help. Joe
    >>>

    >> Just checked, yes, I do have a 2 gig card in mine. No problems.
    >>

    >Don't you worry that a malfunction in your card means the loss of a lot of
    >photos? I still use 512mb cards so that at least some of my photos survive.

    I've been using CF cards for a while, and none have malfunctioned yet.
    SM, on the other hand...
    (Sd has also been very reliable for me.)

    Bill Funk, Feb 11, 2007
  9. joefoto

    joefoto Guest

    Thanks to all of you who provided appropriate responses to my
    question. I particularly want to thank Doug and Ed, who gave very
    specific answers/pointers to answer a very specific question. But,
    again, thanks to all of you. I consider this issue resolved.

    Joe
    joefoto, Feb 11, 2007
  10. joefoto

    Just D Guest

    "Bill Funk"
    >>So why even try? Without FAT32 you *know* it won't recognize more than 2
    >>GB.
    >>I don't know of any cameras that did have FAT32 three years ago.

    > I have a friend with a D60 (more than 3 years old; Feb. 02) and it
    > works with 4GB cards.

    Just wondering if he upgraded the firmware or this is the original one? And
    what's the format of this SDHC card FAT16 or FAT32?

    Just D.
    Just D, Feb 11, 2007
  11. joefoto

    Guest

    On Feb 10, 9:07 pm, "joefoto" <> wrote:
    > Is anyone using 2 GB cards with aD50? The manual states a max of 1
    > GB. NikonTech Support says, effectively,"DUH?"--they haven't tested
    > so theycan't comment. I'm wanting tousea SanDisk Ultra II 2 GBcardto improve speed and allow for more Raw images. Thanks for any
    > help. Joe

    Hi Joe,

    I am using a Sandisk ultraII 2GB card with my D50, and at times it has
    been full. But I have not encountered any problem so far, neither with
    data transfer speed nor with formatting

    I hope it helps,
    Rahul
    , Feb 12, 2007
  12. joefoto

    dennis@home Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message

    > Given the number of times I have had to rewind, unload, and reload film
    > after only 24 to 36 pictures over the years, I could easily live with
    > replacing a card every 100 pictures. Grin.

    I agree but I get < 100 on a 2G card (raw takes a lot of space and the HQ
    jpeg adds another 5M to each picture).

    A camera that used mirrored cards would be nice so that you can't loose
    stuff if a card breaks.
    I haven't had 2G/4G cards for long enough to break one although I can't say
    the same for microdrives where I have killed more than one.
    dennis@home, Feb 12, 2007
  13. dennis@home wrote:
    []
    > A camera that used mirrored cards would be nice so that you can't
    > loose stuff if a card breaks.
    > I haven't had 2G/4G cards for long enough to break one although I
    > can't say the same for microdrives where I have killed more than one.

    The snag with mirroring is that if the OS breaks (more likely?), bad data
    gets written to /both/ cards!

    David
    David J Taylor, Feb 12, 2007
  14. joefoto

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 12:54:30 -0700, "Just D" <> wrote:

    >"Bill Funk"
    >>>So why even try? Without FAT32 you *know* it won't recognize more than 2
    >>>GB.
    >>>I don't know of any cameras that did have FAT32 three years ago.

    >> I have a friend with a D60 (more than 3 years old; Feb. 02) and it
    >> works with 4GB cards.

    >Just wondering if he upgraded the firmware or this is the original one?

    He never upgraded.

    --
    Senator Joe Biden apologized
    Thursday for calling Senator
    Bill Funk, Feb 12, 2007
  15. joefoto

    C J Campbell Guest

    On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 08:07:21 -0800, joefoto wrote
    (in article <>):

    > Is anyone using 2 GB cards with a D50? The manual states a max of 1
    > GB. Nikon Tech Support says, effectively,"DUH?"--they haven't tested
    > so they can't comment. I'm wanting to use a SanDisk Ultra II 2 GB
    > card to improve speed and allow for more Raw images. Thanks for any
    > help. Joe

    I would not worry too much about memory card compatibility with any of the
    newer Nikon digitals. The 'approved' list is almost meaningless. I have never
    heard of one that does not work.

    --
    Waddling Eagle
    World Famous Flight Instructor
    C J Campbell, Feb 12, 2007
  16. joefoto

    ASAAR Guest

    On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:00:14 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:

    >> A camera that used mirrored cards would be nice so that you can't
    >> loose stuff if a card breaks.
    >> I haven't had 2G/4G cards for long enough to break one although I
    >> can't say the same for microdrives where I have killed more than one.

    > The snag with mirroring is that if the OS breaks (more likely?), bad data
    > gets written to /both/ cards!

    Not more likely, since as far as I'm aware, cameras don't use
    Windows, not even the portable versions, for their OS. :) In
    reliable computer operating systems, bad data is more likely the
    result of bad hardware, and duplexing the disk controllers is
    preferred to simple mirroring, just to make it less likely that both
    mirrored disk systems might end up with the same bad data.

    In reviews that I recall from about a year or two ago for some
    high end DSLR, one that wrote simultaneously to two different cards
    (can't recall if it was a Canon or Nikon), the reviewers really
    liked this feature. They didn't even consider the possibility of
    writing bad data, which could also happen if only a single card was
    used. Instead, they looked at it from the viewpoint of some pro's
    which was that there would be a backup card in the camera (which as
    I recall would have contained JPG files) as insurance in case
    anything disastrous happened to the main card containing RAW files
    after it was removed from the camera as part of the normal workflow.
    It could be dropped and stepped on, stolen, mixed up with other
    cards and accidentally formatted before being copied, etc.
    ASAAR, Feb 12, 2007
  17. ASAAR wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:00:14 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:

    []
    >> The snag with mirroring is that if the OS breaks (more likely?), bad
    >> data gets written to /both/ cards!

    > Not more likely, since as far as I'm aware, cameras don't use
    > Windows, not even the portable versions, for their OS. :) In
    > reliable computer operating systems, bad data is more likely the
    > result of bad hardware, and duplexing the disk controllers is
    > preferred to simple mirroring, just to make it less likely that both
    > mirrored disk systems might end up with the same bad data.

    Well, I avoided any mention of specific OS. Even cameras do have an OS,
    which may be more or less relaible.

    > In reviews that I recall from about a year or two ago for some
    > high end DSLR, one that wrote simultaneously to two different cards
    > (can't recall if it was a Canon or Nikon), the reviewers really
    > liked this feature. They didn't even consider the possibility of
    > writing bad data, which could also happen if only a single card was
    > used. Instead, they looked at it from the viewpoint of some pro's
    > which was that there would be a backup card in the camera (which as
    > I recall would have contained JPG files) as insurance in case
    > anything disastrous happened to the main card containing RAW files
    > after it was removed from the camera as part of the normal workflow.
    > It could be dropped and stepped on, stolen, mixed up with other
    > cards and accidentally formatted before being copied, etc.

    Having both RAW and JPEG does indeed sound like a nice feature for the
    pros.

    David
    David J Taylor, Feb 12, 2007
  18. joefoto

    dennis@home Guest

    "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
    wrote in message news:iFYzh.10517$...
    > dennis@home wrote:
    > []
    >> A camera that used mirrored cards would be nice so that you can't
    >> loose stuff if a card breaks.
    >> I haven't had 2G/4G cards for long enough to break one although I
    >> can't say the same for microdrives where I have killed more than one.

    > The snag with mirroring is that if the OS breaks (more likely?), bad data
    > gets written to /both/ cards!

    Yes that is true.
    Thats why using hard drives for computer backup is not a good idea.
    Its less likely on a single purpose device like a camera though.
    dennis@home, Feb 12, 2007
  19. joefoto

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 19:39:08 -0000, "dennis@home"
    <-ass.net> wrote:

    >Thats why using hard drives for computer backup is not a good idea.
    >Its less likely on a single purpose device like a camera though.

    Using hard drives for backup isn't a bad idea at all.
    The bad part is not understanding the drawbacks and dangers.
    External drives are an excellent way to do backups, especially if they
    are stored in a secure place.

    --
    Hillary Clinton told a New
    Hampshire town hall Saturday
    Bill Funk, Feb 13, 2007
  20. joefoto

    dennis@home Guest

    "Bill Funk" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 19:39:08 -0000, "dennis@home"
    > <-ass.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Thats why using hard drives for computer backup is not a good idea.
    >>Its less likely on a single purpose device like a camera though.

    > Using hard drives for backup isn't a bad idea at all.
    > The bad part is not understanding the drawbacks and dangers.
    > External drives are an excellent way to do backups, especially if they
    > are stored in a secure place.

    How many do you rotate through?
    dennis@home, Feb 13, 2007