    so they can't comment. I'm wanting to use a SanDisk Ultra II 2 GB
    card to improve speed and allow for more Raw images. Thanks for any
    help. Joe

    joefoto, Feb 10, 2007

  2. "joefoto" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Is anyone using 2 GB cards with a D50? The manual states a max of 1
    > GB. Nikon Tech Support says, effectively,"DUH?"--they haven't tested
    > so they can't comment. I'm wanting to use a SanDisk Ultra II 2 GB
    > card to improve speed and allow for more Raw images. Thanks for any
    > help. Joe

    http://www.mymemory.co.uk/compatible-memory/Digital_Cameras/Nikon/Nikon_D50

    This site certainly seems to think it's OK. I always thought 2GB was pretty
    much the "standard" size these days, as you will not hold many pics on a 1GB
    card.

    cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk

    Adrian Boliston, Feb 10, 2007

  3. joefoto

    milou Guest

    On 10 Feb 2007 08:07:21 -0800, "joefoto" <> wrote:

    >Is anyone using 2 GB cards with a D50? The manual states a max of 1
    >GB. Nikon Tech Support says, effectively,"DUH?"--they haven't tested
    >so they can't comment. I'm wanting to use a SanDisk Ultra II 2 GB
    >card to improve speed and allow for more Raw images. Thanks for any
    >help. Joe

    You are allowed to check the compatibility on the SanDisk website

    milou, Feb 10, 2007
  4. joefoto

    Doug Schwarz Guest

    In article <>,
    "joefoto" <> wrote:

    > Is anyone using 2 GB cards with a D50? The manual states a max of 1
    > GB. Nikon Tech Support says, effectively,"DUH?"--they haven't tested
    > so they can't comment. I'm wanting to use a SanDisk Ultra II 2 GB
    > card to improve speed and allow for more Raw images. Thanks for any
    > help. Joe

    I am using exactly that card with my D50 and it works fine.

    --
    Doug Schwarz
    dmschwarz&ieee,org

    Doug Schwarz, Feb 10, 2007
  5. Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Feb 10, 2007
  6. joefoto

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "joefoto" <> wrote in message
    > Is anyone using 2 GB cards with a D50? The manual states a max of 1
    > GB. Nikon Tech Support says, effectively,"DUH?"--they haven't tested
    > so they can't comment. I'm wanting to use a SanDisk Ultra II 2 GB
    > card to improve speed and allow for more Raw images. Thanks for any
    > help. Joe

    Just checked, yes, I do have a 2 gig card in mine. No problems.

    Rudy Benner, Feb 10, 2007
  7. joefoto

    nigelamond Guest

    "Rudy Benner" <> wrote in message

    > "joefoto" <> wrote in message
    >> Is anyone using 2 GB cards with a D50? The manual states a max of 1
    >> GB. Nikon Tech Support says, effectively,"DUH?"--they haven't tested
    >> so they can't comment. I'm wanting to use a SanDisk Ultra II 2 GB
    >> card to improve speed and allow for more Raw images. Thanks for any
    >> help. Joe
    >>

    > Just checked, yes, I do have a 2 gig card in mine. No problems.

    Don't you worry that a malfunction in your card means the loss of a lot of
    photos? I still use 512mb cards so that at least some of my photos survive.

    nigelamond, Feb 10, 2007
  8. joefoto

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "nigelamond" <> wrote in message

    > "Rudy Benner" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "joefoto" <> wrote in message
    >>> Is anyone using 2 GB cards with a D50? The manual states a max of 1
    >>> GB. Nikon Tech Support says, effectively,"DUH?"--they haven't tested
    >>> so they can't comment. I'm wanting to use a SanDisk Ultra II 2 GB
    >>> card to improve speed and allow for more Raw images. Thanks for any
    >>> help. Joe
    >>>

    >> Just checked, yes, I do have a 2 gig card in mine. No problems.
    >>

    > Don't you worry that a malfunction in your card means the loss of a lot of
    > photos? I still use 512mb cards so that at least some of my photos
    > survive.

    No.

    Rudy Benner, Feb 10, 2007
  9. joefoto

    banjo Guest

    http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/...T0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9Mmdi&p_li=&p_topview=1

    banjo, Feb 10, 2007
  10. joefoto

    ray Guest

    On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 16:39:52 +0000, milou wrote:

    > On 10 Feb 2007 08:07:21 -0800, "joefoto" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Is anyone using 2 GB cards with a D50? The manual states a max of 1
    >>GB. Nikon Tech Support says, effectively,"DUH?"--they haven't tested
    >>so they can't comment. I'm wanting to use a SanDisk Ultra II 2 GB
    >>card to improve speed and allow for more Raw images. Thanks for any
    >>help. Joe

    > You are allowed to check the compatibility on the SanDisk website

    Pardon me for sticking my nose into something I know very little about,
    but would there possibly be a firmware version issue to worry about?

    ray, Feb 10, 2007
  11. On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 12:13:17 -0500, in rec.photo.digital "Ed Ruf (REPLY to
    E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <> wrote:

    >On 10 Feb 2007 08:07:21 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "joefoto"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Is anyone using 2 GB cards with a D50? The manual states a max of 1
    >>GB. Nikon Tech Support says, effectively,"DUH?"--they haven't tested
    >>so they can't comment. I'm wanting to use a SanDisk Ultra II 2 GB
    >>card to improve speed and allow for more Raw images.

    >http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-7905

    and

    http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bi...mNoX3RleHQ9Y29tcGF0aWJsZQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

    --
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Feb 10, 2007
  12. joefoto

    Just D Guest

    Just D, Feb 10, 2007
  13. joefoto

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "Just D" <> wrote in message
    > Good link, interesting quote: "FAT16: limits the cameras maximum capacity
    > to 2GB (if a memory card with a capacity larger than 2GB were to be
    > formatted as FAT16 only 2GB will be available for use)"
    >
    > "Ed Ruf
    >> http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bi...mNoX3RleHQ9Y29tcGF0aWJsZQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

    I wonder what would happen if one were to format a 4 gig card to FAT32 using
    something like SwissKnife.

    Rudy Benner, Feb 10, 2007
  14. joefoto

    Just D Guest

    "Rudy Benner"
    >> Good link, interesting quote: "FAT16: limits the cameras maximum capacity
    >> to 2GB (if a memory card with a capacity larger than 2GB were to be
    >> formatted as FAT16 only 2GB will be available for use)"
    >>> http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bi...mNoX3RleHQ9Y29tcGF0aWJsZQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

    > I wonder what would happen if one were to format a 4 gig card to FAT32
    > using something like SwissKnife.

    In most cases the info on the Nikon site is obsolete, for example they
    TESTED and RECOMMEND to use 16, 32,... 256 etc cards with Coolpix 5200. Very
    helpful info, I sent them my own emotion about this recommendation. So I
    guess that if I format a 4 GB card with FAT16 it should work, but how
    efficiently - I need to test my daughter's 5200 to say for sure. From
    another side formatting with FAT32 will not let this device use this card at
    all since it doesn't support FAT32.

    I need to test it out, probably I could write about 2 gig to this card to
    simplify the process and let the camera take care of the rest of the
    available space and tell me how usable is that. Otherwise to make several
    hundred images just to get the size over 2 GB is too much for this simple
    test :)

    Just D.

    Just D, Feb 10, 2007
  15. "Just D" <> wrote in message

    > In most cases the info on the Nikon site is obsolete, for example they
    > TESTED and RECOMMEND to use 16, 32,... 256 etc cards with Coolpix 5200.
    > Very helpful info, I sent them my own emotion about this recommendation.

    It was probably helpful enough when that camera was introduced, three years
    ago. Flash memory cards have gotten vast increases in capacity in those
    three years. It's not at all unusual for those recommendations to be
    outdated by the time they get published.

    > So I guess that if I format a 4 GB card with FAT16 it should work, but how
    > efficiently - I need to test my daughter's 5200 to say for sure. From
    > another side formatting with FAT32 will not let this device use this card
    > at all since it doesn't support FAT32.

    So why even try? Without FAT32 you *know* it won't recognize more than 2 GB.
    I don't know of any cameras that did have FAT32 three years ago.

    Neil Harrington, Feb 10, 2007
  16. joefoto

    Just D Guest

    "Neil Harrington"
    > So why even try? Without FAT32 you *know* it won't recognize more than 2
    > GB. I don't know of any cameras that did have FAT32 three years ago.

    Latest Windows support up to 4 GB with FAT16, but I tried and found that it
    doesn't allow to format this 4 GB card using my SDHC reader with FAT16, I
    see only FAT32 in the DD list. I see now why several people were searching
    for the application able to format these 4 GB SDHC cards with FAT16. A quick
    test shows that 5200 doesn't eat this card and wants it to be replaced, even
    didn't try to reformat it with FAT16. So really to make this test complete I
    need to find the app able to format this card with FAT16 and try again. I
    saw one day on the Internet that this app exists but didn't DL it, I see not
    that I should.

    Just D.

    Just D, Feb 10, 2007
  17. joefoto

    milou Guest

    On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 13:06:02 -0700, ray <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 16:39:52 +0000, milou wrote:
    >
    >> On 10 Feb 2007 08:07:21 -0800, "joefoto" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is anyone using 2 GB cards with a D50? The manual states a max of 1
    >>>GB. Nikon Tech Support says, effectively,"DUH?"--they haven't tested
    >>>so they can't comment. I'm wanting to use a SanDisk Ultra II 2 GB
    >>>card to improve speed and allow for more Raw images. Thanks for any
    >>>help. Joe

    >> You are allowed to check the compatibility on the SanDisk website

    >Pardon me for sticking my nose into something I know very little about,
    >but would there possibly be a firmware version issue to worry about?

    If this was the case -which there no evidence to it- the owner is
    allowed to upgrade the firmware via the manufacturer's website.

    milou, Feb 10, 2007
  18. "nigelamond" <> wrote in message

    > Don't you worry that a malfunction in your card means the loss of a lot of
    > photos? I still use 512mb cards so that at least some of my photos
    > survive.

    That would hold less than 100 shots! I would end up having to switch cards
    all the time which would be a real pain.

    cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk

    Adrian Boliston, Feb 10, 2007
  19. joefoto

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "Just D" <> wrote in message
    > "Neil Harrington"
    >> So why even try? Without FAT32 you *know* it won't recognize more than 2
    >> GB. I don't know of any cameras that did have FAT32 three years ago.

    > Latest Windows support up to 4 GB with FAT16, but I tried and found that
    > it doesn't allow to format this 4 GB card using my SDHC reader with FAT16,
    > I see only FAT32 in the DD list. I see now why several people were
    > searching for the application able to format these 4 GB SDHC cards with
    > FAT16. A quick test shows that 5200 doesn't eat this card and wants it to
    > be replaced, even didn't try to reformat it with FAT16. So really to make
    > this test complete I need to find the app able to format this card with
    > FAT16 and try again. I saw one day on the Internet that this app exists
    > but didn't DL it, I see not that I should.
    >
    > Just D.

    Look for Swissknife.

    http://www.compuapps.com/download/Swissknife/swissknife.htm

    I think it works with flash cards, but I have nothing over 2 gig to test it
    on.
    Perhaps someone has a 4 gig card to test this theory.

    I do know that I can format a 60 gig hard drive to FAT or FAT 32 or NTFS.

    The price is good.

    Rudy Benner, Feb 10, 2007
  20. joefoto

    Bob Willard Guest

    Just D wrote:
    > "Rudy Benner"
    >
    >>>Good link, interesting quote: "FAT16: limits the cameras maximum capacity
    >>>to 2GB (if a memory card with a capacity larger than 2GB were to be
    >>>formatted as FAT16 only 2GB will be available for use)"

    >>I wonder what would happen if one were to format a 4 gig card to FAT32
    >>using something like SwissKnife.

    > In most cases the info on the Nikon site is obsolete, for example they
    > TESTED and RECOMMEND to use 16, 32,... 256 etc cards with Coolpix 5200. Very
    > helpful info, I sent them my own emotion about this recommendation. So I
    > guess that if I format a 4 GB card with FAT16 it should work, but how
    > efficiently - I need to test my daughter's 5200 to say for sure. From
    > another side formatting with FAT32 will not let this device use this card at
    > all since it doesn't support FAT32.
    >
    > I need to test it out, probably I could write about 2 gig to this card to
    > simplify the process and let the camera take care of the rest of the
    > available space and tell me how usable is that. Otherwise to make several
    > hundred images just to get the size over 2 GB is too much for this simple
    > test :)
    >
    > Just D.

    Try formatting a 4GB card with FAT16 if you wish. I suspect you will get a
    usable 2GB part, and 2GB wasted -- if the camera is willing at all to format
    that 4GB card. Let us know what you learn.
    --
    Cheers, Bob

    Bob Willard, Feb 11, 2007