Users discover virtues of DOS command prompt by the hundreds

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by TekNews, May 29, 2004.

  1. TekNews

    TekNews Guest

    RotoReuters News Service - May 31, 2004

    At the recently concluded conference on why computer users seem to
    recklessly prefer Graphical User Interfaces over the more robust command
    line, the final press release said simply "We think people should stop
    using Microsoft products, except MS-DOS of course. <enter>"

    "There's nothing you can do with a GUI that you can't do with a command
    prompt, except for posting pictures of naked wimmen" said the highly
    acclaimed prompt commando, Efdisk Deltree. "Even there, there's
    exceptions. And what you gain in gaudy colors you lose in system
    resources. With my 286 IBM and a 300 baud modem, I can join the millions
    of users around the world in the communal ritual known simply as 'The
    Internet'. <enter>"

    The advantages of slimmed down operating systems and lower cost hardware
    requirements are apparently drawing users from around the world, mostly
    within a single block distance from the local Goodwill stores <reboot>.

    Deltree went on to say "Why would anybody spend $140 on WindowsXP when
    DOS can be downloaded from warez sites for free? Why indeed would
    anybody download Linux when it might take 5-6 months to download on a
    300 baud modem when you can get DOS out of almost any dumpster in town?
    <pause/break>"

    --
    The advancement of technology can't be slowed down. It can only be
    attenuated.

    TekNews, May 29, 2004

  2. TekNews

    DC Guest

    TekNews wrote:
    > RotoReuters News Service - May 31, 2004

    > At the recently concluded conference on why computer users seem to
    > recklessly prefer Graphical User Interfaces over the more robust command
    > line, the final press release said simply "We think people should stop
    > using Microsoft products, except MS-DOS of course. <enter>"

    > [...]

    Nice. <G>

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Free your mind, and your OS will follow...

    DC, May 29, 2004

  3. TekNews

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Barry OGrady, May 30, 2004