    how?
    With many thanks,
    yakis
    yakis, May 13, 2006

  2. yakis

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-05-13, yakis <> wrote:
    > Hi every body,
    > I have Windows XP SP2 on my pc. I'm the administrator of my computer and I
    > created several user's accounts plus a guest account.
    > I could delete these accounts easily but I would like to ask your opinion if
    > it is possible, or is it necessary, to delete all the data's for these
    > created accounts inorder to save disk space? If it is, would you tell me
    > how?

    Did any of the users put real data there? They're not taking up that much
    space if they are just the default setups. One security notion is that you
    just shouldn't have any unused accounts but you should probably explain why
    you created the accounts and why you have a guest account.

    --
    "I'm the administrator"...just delete whatever you want :)
    Jimchip, May 13, 2006

  3. yakis

    yakis Guest

    One user did download something.
    I have 3 partitions on my pc....C:\ system....D:\ & E:\ are mine; how come
    they could see all my files there? That's why I deleted all accounts. They
    are my cousins and they asked to use my pc, so I created several accounts
    for them. The guest account for a friend. I would let them use the accounts
    provided that they can not go into my folders.
    Can you help me how to prevent them from looking into my D:\ & E:\?

    yakis, May 13, 2006
  4. yakis

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-05-13, yakis <> wrote:
    > One user did download something.
    > I have 3 partitions on my pc....C:\ system....D:\ & E:\ are mine; how come
    > they could see all my files there? That's why I deleted all accounts. They
    > are my cousins and they asked to use my pc, so I created several accounts
    > for them. The guest account for a friend. I would let them use the accounts
    > provided that they can not go into my folders.
    > Can you help me how to prevent them from looking into my D:\ & E:\?

    http://clusty.com/search?query=Microsoft XP Protecting folders
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/filesharing.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/default.mspx

    You can certainly protect your folders that are associated with "My
    Documents". Depending on your partitioning scheme, if D: and E: are not
    needed at all by the OS then you need to set the owner and the permissions
    for those.

    You probably shouldn't be giving accounts out to the cousins until you have
    a better handle on how to do all that stuff.

    --
    "XP is an empowering OS--Now everyone is a SysAdmin, whether they want to be
    or not"
    Jimchip, May 13, 2006
  5. yakis wrote:

    > Hi every body,
    > I have Windows XP SP2 on my pc. I'm the administrator of my computer and I
    > created several user's accounts plus a guest account.
    > I could delete these accounts easily but I would like to ask your opinion
    > if it is possible, or is it necessary, to delete all the data's for these
    > created accounts inorder to save disk space? If it is, would you tell me
    > how?

    The preferred way is from workplace-properties-user profiles tab. You as
    admin can delete them, including the data within their "Documents and
    Settings" - folders.
    Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, May 13, 2006
  6. yakis wrote:

    > One user did download something.
    > I have 3 partitions on my pc....C:\ system....D:\ & E:\ are mine; how
    > come they could see all my files there? That's why I deleted all accounts.

    Now first, which filesystem did you select when setting up d: and e:? There
    is no filesystem security for fat(32), only ntfs can give you that.
    You may change the permission to full access for you only and delete all
    other listed accounts, and also make subfolders inherit them.

    > They are my cousins and they asked to use my pc, so I created several
    > accounts for them. The guest account for a friend. I would let them use
    > the accounts provided that they can not go into my folders.
    > Can you help me how to prevent them from looking into my D:\ & E:\?

    You know, physical access to a computer will give the opportunity. As an
    example, booting from a linux livecd like knoppix, or winPE.
    You can try to lock the bios through a password, but anyone who has enough
    time to get the cover open can circumvent that as well.
    Only EFS (encrypted filesystem) may give security here, but without
    exporting the key to a floppy disk you by yourself lose access when
    someone, maybe deliberately, forces you to reinstall windows or otherwise
    changes the sid. In the end, you have to keep your key disk in a bank safe.
    Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, May 13, 2006