    Messages:
    1
    I have a Cisco Catalyst 2950 switch, and I am trying to connect to it through telnet, and it asks for a username and password. The problem is, I don't know what the username is. I dont think I even set one up. Can anyone help me out here? It would be greatly appreciated.

    Amuzzi16, Dec 22, 2008

  2. Amuzzi16

    donjohnston

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2008
    Messages:
    38
    If you're lucky, username authentication is only enabled on the vty lines. If so, you should be able to login on the console line and you won't be prompted for the username.

    If it's also enabled on the console line, then the only way past it is using password recovery.

    google "cisco password recovery 2950" and the first hit will take you to the procedure.

    donjohnston, Dec 30, 2008