    I have a 1750 router and a 3750 catalyst switch. I'm wondering how i
    enable username and password prompting for telnet and console level
    access. Thanks

    mmark751969, May 14, 2008

  2. mmark751969 <> writes:
    >I have a 1750 router and a 3750 catalyst switch. I'm wondering how i
    >enable username and password prompting for telnet and console level
    >access. Thanks

    aaa new-model

    but you definately want to setup your AAA lists at the same time!
    Its important to have those defined before you exist out, or you may
    lock yourself out altogether.

    Doug McIntyre, May 14, 2008

  3. mmark751969

    Guest

    On May 13, 8:59 pm, mmark751969 <> wrote:
    > I have a 1750 router and a 3750 catalyst switch.  I'm wondering how i
    > enable username and password prompting for telnet and console level
    > access.  Thanks

    First you'll need to create usernames and passwords using the username
    command (e.g. username routeradmin privilege 15 password
    routerAdminPass08). The privilige command gives the username
    administrative privileges (priv 1 is user and priv 15 is admin and
    privs 2 through 14 are customizable).

    Second you instruct the console and telnet virtual terminals to use
    local for authentication using the login command.

    Example

    line con 0
    login local
    line vty 0 4
    login local

    This configuration tells the router and switch to use the local
    account database for usernames and passwords. The better idea would
    be to implement RADIUS or TACACS+ but that's a bit more complex and
    requires a RADIUS or TACACS+ server.

    , May 14, 2008
  4. mmark751969

    Merv Guest