Userenv Error

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Kashif, May 21, 2008.

  1. Kashif

    Kashif Guest

    I have a Windows 2003 server Single domain network. All computers are Windows
    XP Pro 32 bit. We just purchase a computer DELL T3400 with 64 bit and XP x64
    bit.

    I Joined the cmputer with Domain and rebboted.
    I have several errors in my Event Log.

    Application Error: Userenv EventID:1053
    Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. (The specified domain
    either does not exist or could not be contacted. ). Group Policy processing
    aborted.

    Soultion 1:
    -------------
    In Event Viewer, click System, and check for any networking-related
    messages, such as Netlogon messages, that indicate a network connectivity
    issue

    I found a Netlogn Error in System Events:
    This computer was not able to set up a secure session with a domain
    controller in domain "COMPANYNAME" due to the following:
    There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.
    This may lead to authentication problems. Make sure that this computer is
    connected to the network. If the problem persists, please contact your domain
    administrator.

    ADDITIONAL INFO
    If this computer is a domain controller for the specified domain, it sets up
    the secure session to the primary domain controller emulator in the specified
    domain. Otherwise, this computer sets up the secure session to any domain
    controller in the specified domain.

    This solution wasn't very helpful because I did have logon server available
    and working fine and processing all the log-on requests.

    Solution 2:
    ------------
    At the command prompt, type netdiag, and note any errors. Those errors
    usually have to be resolved before Group Policy processing can continue

    Not Applicable because this command is not available on Windows XP x64.

    Soultion 3:
    -------------
    At the command prompt, type gpupdate, and then check Event Viewer to see if
    the Userenv 1053 event is logged again.

    It didn't created/write 1053 event (Refereshing Policy didn't generate any
    errors)

    Solution 4:
    -----------
    To verify that the domain controller can be contacted through Domain Name
    System (DNS), try to access \\mydomain.com\sysvol\mydomain.com, where
    mydomain.com is the fully qualified DNS name of your domain

    I was able to access the share \\mydomain.com\sysvol\mydomain.com and found
    2 folders "Policies" and "scripts"

    Solution 5:
    ------------
    Verify that you can access the domain controller by using tools such as the
    Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in

    Solution 5 is not possible with Windows XP PRO 64 bit but I was able to
    access Active Dir Users and Computers from Windows XP Pro 32.

    Windows XP Professional build 2600 with QFE Q329357

    Solution 6:
    ------------
    Check to see whether other computers on your network are having the same
    problem.

    No computer have problem on the network

    Solution 7:
    -----------
    If this computer is a part of a cross-forest domain, verify that the forest
    for the user account is currently available and can be contacted by the
    computer on which the Group Policy processing failed

    Doesn't apply

    anks for all the help, I can get ....

    Kashif
    Kashif, May 21, 2008

  2. As I said in previous message, you can have RPC problems joining a domain
    with XP x64, especially if there's ISA present. Turn OFF any RPC filters. If
    you're using Samba as a DC or as a required network share, that can be an
    issue. And the usual stuff of making sure that you have DNS and such set to
    the right settings that is normal domain troubleshooting.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 21, 2008

  3. Kashif

    Kashif Guest

    Hi Charlie,
    There is no ISA present. Where do I go and turn off RPC filters? I am using
    NAS box as my File server. NAS act as a member server on Windows Domain. It
    work fines and its job is to serve the files to users. Once user is
    authenticated via domain server, user has access to NAS BOX share and files
    and folder based on Windows permissions managment.

    Kashif

    Kashif, May 22, 2008