user support on dsl modems, ok it's a problem, but what's an open solution.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by TakeME Brett, May 9, 2006.

  1. TakeME Brett

    TakeME Brett Guest

    I just got dsl on this week and great week for IT. I didn't get the
    free dsl modem package (supplied by telecom) as I didn't want to be
    locked into a 12 month contract, where I could not pay in 1 lump sum
    and get extra discounts. So I got a modem from the internet (way
    cheaper than their $100 free won's).

    Then it came to connecting.

    WTF there is very little doc's out there. No "View The procress of
    connecting for the 1st time!"

    OK, so I got stuck on stupid and called the help desk. They where
    great, hello in relaxed voice says how can I help. Wonderful. I try and
    explain what's up, in half geek and half lost.

    The first guy was great, he could understand and see what, ok. So I
    said cool, I have loged into the router, it's not working now, but i c
    in the manual that I can set some stuff. what would it be?
    Even though I was not entering the data, I understood the process
    involved. great!!!

    So I got the router online, and called back to helpline with a 2nd
    question. I got a hello in strained relaxed voice, blar blar ok sir
    what model is you dsl modem. I said mine. He said, sorry, can't help,
    we don't support that model of dsl modem and was trying hard to hangup,
    I managed a relaxed tone and did quickly 'get a clue' as 'to a'
    solution that did get me online but it was stress fool. (Help desk
    needs more fun/play time at work to manage managing)

    The ISP help only support the free modems supplied by Telecom.

    OK moaning overt.

    Is there a place or resource to build a solution? Is there a adsl wiki
    of "random router -> isp"

    regards
    Brett

    TakeME Brett, May 9, 2006

  2. TakeME Brett

    Shane Guest

    TakeME Brett wrote:

    > I just got dsl on this week and great week for IT. I didn't get the
    > free dsl modem package (supplied by telecom) as I didn't want to be
    > locked into a 12 month contract, where I could not pay in 1 lump sum
    > and get extra discounts. So I got a modem from the internet (way
    > cheaper than their $100 free won's).
    >
    > Then it came to connecting.
    >
    > WTF there is very little doc's out there. No "View The procress of
    > connecting for the 1st time!"
    >
    > OK, so I got stuck on stupid and called the help desk. They where
    > great, hello in relaxed voice says how can I help. Wonderful. I try and
    > explain what's up, in half geek and half lost.
    >
    > The first guy was great, he could understand and see what, ok. So I
    > said cool, I have loged into the router, it's not working now, but i c
    > in the manual that I can set some stuff. what would it be?
    > Even though I was not entering the data, I understood the process
    > involved. great!!!
    >
    > So I got the router online, and called back to helpline with a 2nd
    > question. I got a hello in strained relaxed voice, blar blar ok sir
    > what model is you dsl modem. I said mine. He said, sorry, can't help,
    > we don't support that model of dsl modem and was trying hard to hangup,
    > I managed a relaxed tone and did quickly 'get a clue' as 'to a'
    > solution that did get me online but it was stress fool. (Help desk
    > needs more fun/play time at work to manage managing)
    >
    > The ISP help only support the free modems supplied by Telecom.
    >
    > OK moaning overt.
    >
    > Is there a place or resource to build a solution? Is there a adsl wiki
    > of "random router -> isp"
    >
    > regards
    > Brett

    tried the site of your isp for settings?
    eg.
    Ihug
    http://www.ihug.co.nz/help/adsl/index.html
    Orcon
    http://support.orcon.net.nz/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=18&nav=0
    and
    http://support.orcon.net.nz/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=10&nav=0
    Slingshot
    http://www.slingshot.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=5&tabid=8#
    (click the link "How do I set up my JetStream/JetBuster connection)

    All the above ISPs have links to the modem router manufacturers for even
    more help

    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6

    Shane, May 9, 2006

  3. TakeME Brett

    XPD Guest

    "TakeME Brett" <> wrote in message
    > The ISP help only support the free modems supplied by Telecom.
    >
    > OK moaning overt.
    >
    > Is there a place or resource to build a solution? Is there a adsl wiki
    > of "random router -> isp"
    >
    > regards
    > Brett

    www.nzadsl.co.nz is handy :)
    And feel free to ask questions on my own new forums (I need some users to
    get them up and running ;) )
    www.xpd.co.nz/forums/ ;) Free post with every new user :p

    XPD, May 9, 2006
  4. TakeME Brett

    TakeME Brett Guest

    Thanks for the links. I am becomming less confused but found myself
    dumb-founded by some bit of the process.

    Like communicating with the modem from firefox to set my internet
    account setting.
    And what these settings are about/for.

    Do all adsl modems have different way's of intefacing/setting up, but
    have basicly the same infomation/setting entered into them.

    A basic wiki would be good. I think the help/suppot is suffering from
    lack of infomation about this infomation technoligy.

    Brett

    TakeME Brett, May 9, 2006
  5. TakeME Brett

    Colinco Guest

    TakeME Brett wrote:

    > A basic wiki would be good. I think the help/suppot is suffering from
    > lack of infomation about this infomation technoligy.

    What modem is it? Part of the Approval process is that the modem
    supplier is responsible for the instructions. Who knows the modem
    better?
    Try http://www.telepermit.co.nz/ADSLModemSetUp.html if your
    instructions got thrown out with the wrapping :)

    Colinco, May 9, 2006
  6. > What modem is it? Part of the Approval process is that the modem
    > supplier is responsible for the instructions. Who knows the modem
    > better?
    > Try http://www.telepermit.co.nz/ADSLModemSetUp.html if your
    > instructions got thrown out with the wrapping :)

    Yes find the Teleopermit number on the Modem (Greenm Sticker)
    and then go to http://www.telepermit.co.nz/cgi-bin/b.pl

    Find the Number and ring them up with the Number given
    ... as Colinco said.. the Modem Supplier should give you help.

    Thanks

    Craig Whitmore, May 9, 2006